jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

proper or wrong behavior?

1. fucsia profile image60
    fucsiaposted 6 years ago

I often see some hubbers than in few minutes become fans of many other hubbers, one after another, one second after another, without having even the time to read the title of one of their hub. I do not think is proper behavior, what are you doing in front of these profiles?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

It is against the HubPages Terms of Use to use an automated system to follow other Hubbers; that is a kind of spam. You can flag their profile page for this violation.

1. Cagsil profile image61
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would err on the side of caution before flagging profiles.

I can understand that some people use software related as WE points out and it is against HubPages rules.

However, I would also like to remind people that the versatility of windows allows people to open more than one tab at a time and thus provides them the ability to simulate an automatic system.

They can sign up or follow as many people as they like. It is meaningless in the end, because followers have nothing to with earnings.

Just a thought.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Cagsil, I agree with you. I believe that by looking carefully at the Hubtivity, it is possible to distinguish. Those using an automated system go on and on adding followers every second, minute after minute, often hour after hour. Those that do not have breaks in between, of course. I too would be cautious about flagging a profile, but ultimately we must rely upon the moderators to be able to decide what is spam and what is not.

4. fucsia profile image60
    fucsiaposted 6 years ago

I am undecided: I was referring to one hubber in particular ( also there are more of one hubbers than uses the same method ) that I follow and who writes interesting articles, so I would not flug his profile, but at the same time I do not think it is right that he continues (and continues!) to use this method to have many followers.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

At least you may have learned something about the rules and how the system works, I thought that was what you started this thread for primarily.

1. lucieanne profile image80
        lucieanneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When I joined a couple of months ago and eventually wrote my first hub, I was flattered that some folk had taken the time to read it and post some positive comments. This prompted me to read their hubs. It takes time to navigate the site and find out who's who and what's what, and we all have our favourite authors. I'd be concerned if somebody had only added me to their favourites purely for the sake of me adding them to mine.
        I think it's always good if someone writes a good comment, then you know if they're genuine or not. I think if they just say something like 'check out my hubs' you know they've only added you because they want you to add them. I never flag anyone - I'd rather diss them in a forum and get a discussion going!

1. profile image0

I fully agree. I am glad to read your hubs, and stll remember the fine pictures from provencial England. Followers, who cares?

I haven't written a hub for quite a while. I'm currently researching a subject that is controversial so I need to get my facts spot on. I think it's gonna open a hornet's nest, but it will be worth it. I'm not saying this lightly, and I hope it doesn't get blocked or flagged or whatever, but I think HP is the perfect medium to bring this out into the open. Is that classed as being overly promotional? I hope not.

1. profile image0

Feel free to contact me if you need a second opinion.

Will do W.E. Thanks.

working