not making money

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. kennynext profile image76
    kennynextposted 13 years ago

How many of you are happy just to write and have never made and money? How long have you been writing here?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unless you write low quality OR just plain creative writing (stories, poetry) it's possible to make money. Just don't expect to make it for the first 6-12 months. I've been here just over 7 months all up and am just starting to see my hard work pay off with more clicks and traffic.

1. bgamall profile image67
        bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He isn't asking about clicks and traffic. He is asking about money. And since when is creative writing not valuable? I mean, it is content isn't it? And it is the most creative content isn't it?

I have come to believe it is all in the marketing. And you have to pay a pretty penny to market effectively. But we will see.

2. Windsweptplains profile image61
        Windsweptplainsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, this post was encouraging for me. smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been on HubPages for a little over 9 months going on 10 months and have reached payout two out of the last three months.

It does take time and effort. Time- mature of hubs and Effort- write quality style articles people want to read or see. wink

3. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I started out wanting to earn money but after a couple of months i pretty much gave up and left the site for 6months,then came back and got stuck in and just wrote because i enjoyed the things i was writing about,then low and behold along came the money,once i learned about backlinking and other such tasks i saw the cash come rolling in,i now make a good second income,so now i suppose i have reverted to writing for the cash.

What secrets can you share as to exactly how you backlink and exactly how much you pay?

4. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually I came here just for backlinks, no plans for making money. But then I saw it is possible here, so I am making them now. smile

2. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 13 years ago

I've been a member of this site since November of 2009. I have joined Amazon and AdSense. Have made nothing with Amazon so far and only a few dollars with AdSense. I love writing hubs and receiving feedback from readers and interacting with other people here at hubpages. So, even if I don't make much money that is ok. Of course, I would love to make some money. That is always a good thing. smile

Lena

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

I have recently started to see an increase in traffic and google clicks but I have not reached a payout yet.
    I enjoy the community and honestly do not put the time into promotion and stuff like many others do.

1. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't do very well at profitizing my hubs, either.  I think that'd spoil the fun, a bit.  So it depends on what you want--money or an avocation.

4. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

I haven't reached payout yet on Adsense, either, and have written quite a few hubs.  (Payout is $100.00).  That's ok with me.  I have seen it get better just lately.  I've been a contributing member since October 2009.

99 hubber score. No payout? Well, actually, I average about 60 to 120 but not just with Hubpages. Yet I am a bit discouraged that it is all about backlinking and spinning. Yet even those are slow to materialize.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm slowly learning. Yes its about backlinking if you have the time or the money, but there are some here who don't bother backlinking and still make money.
        It's about writing for the search engines. You need to learn SEO and write accordingly.
        Now as a writer that does not compromise you, the most important thing is to have your URL and title optimised, then use your keyword(s) naturally a couple of times in the body of the text.
        If it is a highly searched item, you will get traffic, and traffic brings clicks and money (or sales if you have Amazon capsules related to the text).
        My trouble is finding highly searched items that are worth writing about. Nearly all the highly searched items have been done to death by  the millions of other writers out there. You can only hope then that the content of your article is better than theirs.
        I reached my first payout last month, and am already almost halfway towards my second.

2. brettb profile image61
        brettbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paradise7 has some good Hubs, but I guess they are the most anti-commercial you could think of.

IzzyM - there are loads of good niches with practically no competition. Keep searching!

5. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

It's pretty common for people to get their first payment at around eight or nine months.  I've been here since around October 07 and started being paid monthly at eight months (I think).  The earnings have mostly increased each month (with the exception of a few months here or there).

6. profile image56
    MaxSerafinaposted 13 years ago

It's all about keywords and backlinking. If you are going to write about a subject, there are certain words or phrases that are searched more than others. If you take a little time to find these out before you write your hubs you will be a lot better off. Then, when the hub is published you write articles for other sites and aim links to your hubs using those phrases. This doesn't mean you have to be a marketer first and a write second, it just means that you be aware of those keywords and try to incorporate them in a seamless way into your hubs.

7. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I make a fair amount on both Adsense and Amazon, it's alll good!

1. brettb profile image61
      brettbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm on cloud 9 this morning - I've sold a plushie on Amazon! Ha ha ha, it is possible to sell plushies via your hubs!

8. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 13 years ago

been here a little over a year and - well I never really thought about not making money - I think the deal is people that don't make money don't take the time to set things up right , read about how to make money and take the proper steps to - its not like a done deal simply because you write a few hubs - there are no get rich quick things - people simply need to do the home work - study - learn - and then they will make the money

9. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

I started here 3 months ago and thought i wouldn't make any money but so far have made £22 from adsense and sold 4 items on Amazon so I think that is ok.

10. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 13 years ago

I've posted a new Hub with some of my earnings information, I know people are always interested in this.

I've excluded this morning's plushie sale revenue!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)