jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)

Which is better Amazon Classic or Performance?

1. Brie Hoffman profile image81
    Brie Hoffmanposted 6 years ago

In your experience...

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

It seems kind of silly (unless I'm missing something) to use the Classic. Classic gives a flat 4% commission, while the Performance gives you a 4% to 8.5% commission depending on the volume of things that you sell.

Seems like you'd be shooting yourself in the foot to go Classic.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image81
      Brie Hoffmanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's exactly what I thought...so I thought maybe I was missing something...which is why I posted this smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've always thought the same - seems like we've all been sitting there thinking, "am I missing something?"!

3. thisisoli profile image63
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Performance used to have caps (ie electronic sales used to have a $7 limit even if you sold a digital camera worth $2000) I think they have been removed in a lot of sections now though, since I have had much larger commissions.

Nowadays the performance is a no brainer for any affiliate I think.

1. GarfieldGates profile image83
      GarfieldGatesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some are still capped in performance - but at a much higher $25 now (at least for things like computers).

I still go performance though because the liklihood of me selling a $2000 item is much less than me continuing to make it to the 7.5% commission level every month.

1. thisisoli profile image63
        thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

damn, sold a laptop yesterdy for $1400, if that got capped i'm gonna be madddd!

Gonna have to go over those ToS again sometime soon.

1. brettb profile image69
          brettbposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Meh. Only a laptop? I sold another plushie yesterday - that's 2 in one week!

1. flighhigh profile image40
            flighhighposted 6 years ago in reply to this

wow!! mind to share the secret on how to get sales in Amazon? I have not yet sell one up to now!!!  sad

1. brettb profile image69
              brettbposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Here are my tips:

Don't bother with stuff that costs more than $50.

Don't bother with books or DVDs.

Electrical gadgets sell like hot cakes. Hair curlers could be a good niche.

Concentrate on selling cheap stuff and occasionally you get someone going on a buying spree!

Fashion could be another good niche. Can a woman not click on a picture of a pretty pair of shoes? Of course she can't!!!

4. vydyulashashi profile image61
    vydyulashashiposted 6 years ago

performance is good..

5. thisisoli profile image63

Item Name Seller Price Advertising-Fee Rate Items Shipped Revenue Advertising Fees
    MSI GX740-079 17-Inch Laptop    Third Party    $1,394.00    1.79%    1    $1,394.00    $25.00

6. thisisoli profile image63

It turns out that yes, the performance structure is still capped in some sections, which is why my referal earnings for that laptop are less than 2% instead of 6.5% sad

1. lrohner profile image85
      lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that, Oli. So I guess the structure that you choose should really be based on the types of products that you sell? It seems like electronics are the wild card here, no?

7. thisisoli profile image63

There used to be a few sections capped, I am pretty busy at the moment, but should free up in about a month or so, will possibly write up a hub about it then!

I think if you sell products say over around $500 then it is more effective to use the classic scheme, for most people though performance is probably still the best choice!

8. beebong profile image80
    beebongposted 6 years ago

My advice is to get a nice girlfriend if you are straight and do something simple like stay at home and enjoy each others company...that worked in the 1950's why not rediscover a way of being happy the way it used to be  and just being.

9. thisisoli profile image63

For the record off of Hubpages (Haven't got aroudn to doing Hubs on my high earners yet) I target for products around $150 to $300 in value.  I tend to sell smaller value products on Hubpages, but only because I am running through linking to my own sites a niche at a time right now!

working