jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)

Duplicate content on Quotes hub

1. ns1209 profile image36
    ns1209posted 6 years ago

I just wrote a quotes hub and it says duplicate content - which I can understand as probably 80 % of the hub is quotes copied and pasted from the internet. 

However is this normal for quotes hubs and do you ask for the duplicate content penalty to be removed or just carry on and ignore it!

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When I do a quotes hub I take my quotes from a wide variety of sources. This normally prevents the duplicate content filter.

If you take almost all of them from the same source, or somebody has already compiled almost all of your quotes on their own article, then of course it is going to trip the duplicate content filter.

I have had perhaps 2 quote hubs in my year on hubpages trip the duplicate content filter. But I don't want my quote pages to be the same as every other one on google, I want them to be very different, so my suggestion is that you do a little more digging, go back 10 pages on Google and look at every site on the way, and pick and choose the best quotes from a wide variety of sources.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image90
      Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You could try commenting on the quotes, explaining why you think they're clever.

That would both make your hub longer and reduce the copied:original ratio.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

As 80% of the hub is duplicated content, admin isn't going to remove the penalty.  You'll have to just ignore it if you wish to leave it as is.

3. ns1209 profile image36
    ns1209posted 6 years ago

OK fair enough

4. Richieb799 profile image65
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

I had this once but altered it because I wanted my work to be original, even though it had duplicate quotes, i thought mine was better because of Images

5. ns1209 profile image36
    ns1209posted 6 years ago

Mine is better as it has lots of other things like photos and videos but the problem is that the substance is copied from elsewhere.  I just wanted to know if all the people who do quotes hubs have this or just ignore it!

6. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

Anyone who publishes duplicate content will be flagged for publishing duplicate content, it’s not that complicated really.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is actually quite easy to avoid the duplicate content filter with quote hubs, if a single webpage isn't duplicated word by word.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image85
        Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I guess it is, but what i said was if you post duplicate content it will be flagged!

7. 0
    Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago

I've read some excellent hubs that use quotes.  The reason they weren't flagged up was because the hub discussed the quote and used them in a context which meant they weren't just churning out quotes or re-hashing other peoples quotes.  Even Top 10 Quote hubs can be unique.  It's not the quotes, it's how you use them.  We want to know what you think not just what you've gathered from other sources.

8. girly_girl09 profile image81
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

Back when I first joined, I wrote a Marilyn Monroe hub, with tons of quotes and got a dup content warning. I had copied them from some quote site and pasted them in the exact same order. What I did to remedy this was to re-arrange them into my own creative categories and the dup content went away. I'm not sure if that would still work.

9. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I have two 'quotes' hubs, but used various sources, my own text, pics, videos. I've never had a duplicate warning on either. I collect quotes, so I have mine in a journal, they're from all over the place. I write quotes from songs, movies, famous speeches, etc.

10. Paradise7 profile image86
    Paradise7posted 6 years ago

I did a quotes hub but I used quotes from books, not the internet (Love Poems for My Valentine).  That seemed to work well--I got no flags at all for duplicate content.

11. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

here is your answer.  vary your sources. obviously it's ok to write hubs using quotations because it is a category, just mix them up. http://hubpages.com/topics/books-litera … yings/5971

12. iantoPF profile image87
    iantoPFposted 6 years ago

I wrote a Hub that was more of a book and author review. however the quotations are extremely popular and more than one person had already compiled the quotes from that book and put them on the internet so I got flagged. I didn't delete anything I simply added more text, wrote more about the quotes and how they related to the authors views on sex and politics. The flag disappeared. I believe my Hub was greatly improved by the excersise.

13. mdlawyer profile image60
    mdlawyerposted 6 years ago

If the hub contains only quotes, it would be copied verbatim, word-for-word, and might end up as duplicate content. This can be overcome by giving interesting and thought-provoking introductory passage to each quote.

14. bocanq profile image61
    bocanqposted 6 years ago

I have learned a lot from the comments on the topic thanks hubbers.