jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

First hub: scared about my photo

1. themist profile image60
    themistposted 6 years ago

I've been trying to do it for ages but I've just submitted the first of my hubs. I was scared about the picture I submitted because when I was uploading it I noticed it said I needed to own the photo? I'm not sure if this is true but can someone take a quick look and tell me if I should delete it or not?

Many thanks

1. lucieanne profile image79
      lucieanneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think it depends where you upload your pics from, and if they have a copyright. I was told that wikipedia pics can be uploaded freely but if they are owned by someone else you have to get their permission

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lucieanne, you were told wrong.  Wikipedia photos can't be uploaded freely. 

Most of them are under a Creative Commons licence, just like Flickr. You have to thank the photographer and include a hyperlink back to their site.

I just wrote a Hub on how to get "legal" photos from Flickr, you'll find it on my profile under latest Hubs.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

No. You cannot just take any old picture off of the Internet and use it as you want to. Photos are copyrighted, just as our writings are. Now, I don't think that Coca Cola is going to mind you giving their brand free advertising, but I would be careful about others you might use.

There are a few places where you can download photos and use under a Creative Commons license. There are a few threads in the forums here about it that you can search for.

3. 0
    lynnechandlerposted 6 years ago

The pictures look fine but you need to state your source for them.

There is a place to ask about hubs though. The Extreme Hub Makeover is where your questions concerning a particular hub should go and it would be helpful if you placed a link with the question to the hub. Makes it easier to find when you start getting a lot of hubs written.

1. themist profile image60
      themistposted 6 years ago in reply to this

cool, i just saw that this thread got promptly moved to the extreme hub makeover. Thanks whoever did that!