The Unofficial Guide to Interpreting Feedback on Hubpages.

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

As many of you know, HP has recently provided us with a number of new ways to record feedback to the writers of hubs. 

In addition to just making ordinary comments, you can now add reinforcing clicks  by simply checking the words "Useful", " Funny", " Awesome" or "Beautiful" at the bottom of the posted hub. This is unofficially called the UFAB.

If you are in a rush, or at a loss for words you don't even need to add a comment or your name.  Just click the UFAB to express your approval.  The beauty of the UFAB, of course, is that all of the choices are positive.  (There are still "up" and "down" buttons" if that  seems appropriate to you.)

If you deem the article to be  "Crude" , "Ridiculous", "Awful" or "Putrid", you are out of luck because there are no such buttons --and if there were they would spell out a repugnant term that most of us do not want to se attached to our writing.

Actually -- and some of you don't know this-- you can click more than one of the UFAB terms in case you find a particular hub to be both "Awesome" and "Useful", for instance.

The most important part of this, as in most sophisticated statistical analysis, is the comparison of the total votes across all of your hubs.

My overall analysis so far indicates that my hubs are least likely to be "Beautiful" and are only slightly "Awesome".

Also, I am only slightly more "Funny" than I am "Useful".  Organizing the indicator letters from highest to lowest  makes me a "FUAB "overall-- though I think I would rather be a AFUB.

My highest ranked hub is actually a BAFU or a BUAF, since the Useful and Funny scores are exactly even.

Other hubs are merely FAB, UAB (I guess no one thought it was funny because food is so serious), UB,  FA, a few that are only F -- obviously not useful at all. A couple are only U.   I think I will have to go back to work a bit on the the "only U" hubs, they are bringing me perilously close to seeming more Useful than I really am.

You can check your own feedback by going to your account page and clicking  the 'feedback' option. And don't forget to click the UFABs for others You could make someone feel FABU-lous.

What are you?

1. wvierra profile image60
      wvierraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suppose I am just a UA_ _ because I only have votes in useful and awesome, and none in the other two. Useful being the biggest part of the votes.

I notice that not a whole lot of people even bother on voting ether way is this because they think it takes to much time?

Who knows but I always try to vote and also vote up and down other hubbers Hub's maybe that is just me but I think people deserve a vote just for takeing the time to keep Hubpages Interesting. 

W. Vierra

2. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I am a UFAB overall . Fifty percent more useful than funny but pretty awesome and a little beautiful.

I just noticed that we have this http://hubpages.com/my/feedback to see which hubs got rated what.

Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup-- That was what I was talking about. It can be accessed from your account page, too.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Rochelle Frank, in my humble opinion your forum post is all four of them (the good ones). I'd copy the critter into a hub, but you got first dibs on that.

I thought about that-- but didn't want to work on it too hard. Also, I thought people might feel obligated to rate it. Also, also, if you copy it  it will be flagged a duplicate content.
      and, Thank you.

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Ah, but you ARE useful, Rochelle! I did not know we had the capability to rate a hub more than one: U or F or A or B.

So now, in addition to my regular Hub Score, I need to diligently track my Hub Karma and my UFAB rating. When will I have any time to hub big_smile?

I know, Mighty Mom, one more thing we can become possessed, depressed, distressed and obsessed about.

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

According to my Hub visitors, I'm 63% useful, 17% awesome, 11% beautiful and 9% funny.

6. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

I'm UABF.

7. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

Oh Rochelle, you crack me up.

Rating for this thread:  R isible (1)
                                          O ff-beat (1)
                                          F unny (1)
                                          L augh-atious (1)

8. Rochelle Frank profile image91

Relache and rmcrayne-- Both of you are the same. I really respect and admire your Uber-Usefulnesses-- but you ladies need to lighten up a little. Let's work toward a little more Funny.

And Thank you, Teresa, I've never been Risible before.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're funny!  Actually in my flesh and blood life, a lot of people think I'm funny.  Interesting that I haven't translated that in print yet.

1. lorlie6 profile image73
        lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I KNOW, rmcrayne and pdh, I'm considered the cut-up in my family, but I'm a AUBF.  Depressing.

Why be depressed?!  We know we're funny!  And we can decide if we want to make more of an effort to share our funny-ness with our HP family, or not.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

my feedback is same with rmcrayne UABF, in real life though most think I am very funny like rm

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess we are UABF's while writing hubs. most of my hubs  aren't supposed to be funny. I guess I reserve funny for real life, or sometimes in the political forum--

10. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Lorlie,
    How can being an Awesome Hubber be depressing!???
    I think it's, well.... AWESOME (Like you!)

11. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 13 years ago

I think that Rochelle should take her thread post and make it into a hub!

Then it can get the feedback that it deserves.

12. beebong profile image57
    beebongposted 13 years ago

Be funny- don't resever that , express yourself like never before....the printing press was the only way that people could talk about ideas and news but now we all have our own printing press with HUb Pages and that has taken 500 years of development. Express yourself without fear and without reprocussions for the first time in the history of the world.

13. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm a UABF!

I wish we had an "interesting." Sometimes none of the others are appropriate.

Holle I agree 1000%.  I've just been lazy and never seem to get around to emailing the HubPages team to suggest it.

14. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

You are so F-----g funny Rochelle.  This is one of the best forum posts of all time.  And MM was right, you shoulda made a hub out of this.  This is priceless.

15. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I'm with what seems to be the majority here (in this thread so far, anyway) - I'm a UABF.  I'll take it!  Most of the stuff I've written has been intended to be useful.  I haven't attempted to be funny at all, although I do have a great sense of humor, just not what I'm here for...

16. Rochelle Frank profile image91

Well, well. Thank all of y'all for that.  I didn't realize this was still getting comments.

I've already given my reasons for not making it a hub-- and obviously it wouldn't sell anything. I just thought it would be fun to post something in the forums that was non-political, non-religious and non-contentious.

I agree that an "Interesting" category might be appropriate, plus it would expand the acronym possibilities.

I think this is part of the reason that I haven't written 'funny' or humorous anecdote hubs.  Even if you are not concerned about earnings, keywords and SEO are still important to having a readership.  Personal stories are hard to find keywords for that people are actually searching for, and that are representative of the story.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can be funny in many places.  Reviews can be funny - almost anything can be.  Definitely does not need to be personal anecdotes.

17. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

Hi Rochele, well after my shameful admission that I didn't understand the feedback stuff, I went away and took the trouble to work out what it was all about.  It should come as no surprise to anyone that it turns out I am an AUF.  Not a single beautiful but then I don't write beautiful.  Maybe I should try!

18. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I'm a UFAB - sad but true.  No beauty here lol

19. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm apparently UABF

(Apparently, more useful than I prefer, way more awesome than I deserve, far less beautiful than I might like, and way less funny than I wish I were.  hmm  )

I think there needs to be a M for "mediocre" and a G for "good enough, I suppose".  smile   I'd have a lot of those and feel like they were more accurate.  smile

I love your suggestions, Lisa.  I'd probably add "Meh..." for well, if you had to write this drivel, I guess I can cope. smile

20. travelespresso profile image67
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

This is really funny.

I'm a UABF!

Sadly one sick person rated my hub on migraines as funny.  Huh!  I was talking about migraines!

travelespresso-maybe we should rate the raters right back.  In your case, he would be an "S," no???smile

1. travelespresso profile image67
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Too funny lorlie!  Yes.

21. Rochelle Frank profile image91

Mine are starting to become numerically closer-- mostly because of my beauty salon hub which was supposed to be F -- but is getting way too many A and B votes. I stand by the assertion that it is neither A or B, and it certainly couldn't be very useful-- but then, there's no accounting for taste.

1. Jemmy-T profile image58
      Jemmy-Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I rate this post as F and U .
      I agree with Kathryn, you should try to write a hub about this.

22. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

sometimes I wonder if my readers who rate me are really really reading the whole hub or just scanning - since they sometimes really miss the point, it seems.  I know I do tend to get a bit wordy - but why they bother rating if they didn't really read it? could be my paranoia here. 

Now I need some help interpreting other feedback, like comments that are short and noncommital or people who you read and comment on all the time but they never show up in your comment sections - is it because they just don't have time to comment on yours since they're so busy answering comments on theirs?  hmmmmm...

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rating this particular post down -1 (mega1's) for being a bit........wordy....... ***Just kidding*** big_smile

23. Rochelle Frank profile image91

I think you are right  mega1-- ( I didn't read your  whole comment smile --JK) And that was kind of my whole point, that this rating and  all of the others to some degree don't mean much, but it's better than playing the bubble-exploding game online.

1. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  I know, I know  some times my readers are really "scanners"

yeh - and I stopped the rice one because I knew all the words and it wasn't challenging enough! smile

but also wondering what makes people do some of the stuff they do online - stuff they wouldn't say or do in real life where people see them and know them and could come after them!  very entertaining!

24. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

I am not near as beautiful nor as funny as I want to be, but at least I am somewhat awesome and mostly useful. Not sure if I like that, but I'll take what I can get. Can't have it all, right?

25. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

I am a UAFB

26. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

1,F 1,A 1,B 0,U. I guess this makes me fabulously useless.

1. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh no  - take a closer look - your hubs haven't gotten the accolades (prob because your readers aren't used to giving rates) but as for you - oh, baby!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)