Can accolades be removed?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Nick B profile image77
    Nick Bposted 13 years ago

If so, why and would that entail being given a reason?

I ask as I had an accolade for helping new hubbers and highlighting bad posts, but now it's gone -- the "" sign.

Yesterday it was there and today it isn't.

Now I'm not really that big on accolades, but if someone wants to give me a pat on the back because I'm doing something right, wonderful. However, this was just removed and I don't know why.

Could someone explain how this could happen and why I have had no notification of what I might have done or what happened to bring this about?

1. WryLilt profile image90
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had no idea they could be removed... strange!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have removed all mine.

2. profile image0
        Uma07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that either.

1. WryLilt profile image90
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I knew you could enable or disable allowing others to view them all but I didn't know you could hide just one.

Nick Bposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you can.

I think it's possible my missing one was assigned in error and removed after it was seen that it shouldn't have been there.

I don't know, but I wasn't told and I have not had a reply to my questions to the hub team either, so maybe when I do, I will know.

2. relache profile image73
            relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You CAN'T hide just one.

Some of them may be based on changing criteria, or you may need to keep up a steady level of participation in that realm to earn it.

All the more reason to not worry about them at all.

2. thooghun profile image93
    thooghunposted 13 years ago

Wierd. Have you checked your profile settings to see if you can re-enable them?

I'll give it a peep now...

3. Nick B profile image77

Okay, I just check and it's not a case of turning one off, they're either all off or all on--from what I can see.

I'll just keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone can tell me anything, but in the meantime, thanks for the help.

I hope there's just a simple explanation.

4. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

I had 10, now there are 9.  I don't know which one left the page.  Maybe I was given it by mistake.  Who knows these things! smile

5. Nick B profile image77

I guess accolades are transient things. They can take you from zero to hero and back in the blink of an eye.

Oh well, at least I had it for a few days sad

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Accolades come and accolades go… Kind of like life. smile

You got that right big_smile

1. sofs profile image76
          sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey yesterday I was assigned the same accolade for helping new hubbers and flagging down some,  today that has gone missing.

THE CASE OF THE MISSING ACCOLADE!
          give me a cue..........

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The accolade received for helping new hubbers and flagging spam is tied directly to your actions in the forums.

If you would like to keep it as an accolade, then you have to participate in the NEED HELP?Ask here or Extreme Hub Makeover or HubPage topic forums, such as Hub Knowledge and the like.

If you go without making a post in the above forums for an extended period of time, then the accolade disappears.

I know, I've been monitoring it. lol

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well spotted!

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was annoying that I would have it one time and then it would disappear. Then it would come back, then it would disappear. lol

So, I compared my posting and where I was posting, to see if I could narrow it down. Finally, I did. smile

Thank you. smile

2. sofs profile image76

Between yesterday and today I have had so much hubbivity so that may not be the clue that i was looking for!

Hey Sofs, just to let you know, I just reviewed your Hubtivity for the last 36 hours and aside from your posts in this forum thread, you've answered questions and posted comments to hubs, and done some posting to various other topics.

You have a couple of posts that occurred 34 hours ago, that were in NEED HELP?Ask here for thread.

Posting twice or four times inside of 36 hours isn't going to get the accolade. hmm

Edit: Answering questions in the questions section is different than doing it here in the forums. smile

1. sofs profile image76

Oh that is something I didn't know. I thought being active was enough, Good   I learn new things everyday. Thanks Cagsil for telling me this.

You're welcome Sofs. smile

3. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It looks to me like the top row should be "stable" (unless there's a mass exodus of followers, or else one follower who makes the difference between an accolade and none leaves).

The bottom row all looks pretty transient to me.  lol

I'm thinking about shutting them off.  I've recently had a bad, bad, situation with copied material and apparently little anyone can do anything about, and it seems to have gotten worse with the traffic accolade.  I'm wondering if it's pretty much an invitation to scum-bags as far as finding stuff worth stealing goes.   hmm 

I'm so disgusted I'm actually thinking about taking down any Hubs that show signs of doing well (cut off my nose to spite my face), just because I'd rather nobody earn from them than a bunch of creeps earning a penny from any of it.

Hey Lisa, I had them so only I could see them for a while and no one else could. Then I turned them on because I liked the look on the profile. But the one that kept disappearing started to frustrate me, because one time I would check my profile it would be there and then gone(*poof*) lol

So, I'm not sure about whether or not it would be good to have them showing or not. I don't think it really matters too much. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image62
            Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, the only reason I left them was that it didn't occur to me they might potentially cause trouble for me.  Besides, I thought it was kind of good for people who don't write all product/marketing Hubs to know that someone who writes a mix (like I do) can end up getting whatever "credit"/traffic is involved in "accolades" (quotation marks because I'm not too thrilled with that choice of word). 

Maybe it's coincidence, but up until fairly recently (not long after "accolades" were introduced) I only had a (as far as I knew, although I didn't go looking very often) a few things stolen (mostly by the same people).   Recently, I've discovered at least 12 whole search pages with different amounts of the same stuff stolen, at least on instance of the entire Hub being stolen, and God knows where else there is that I couldn't be bothered finding.  And that was only on one paragraph (with unique, telltale, wording and punctuation) that I searched for in one Hub.  Who knows what other lines I should have been searching for, or who knows what other lines and what other Hubs I should be searching for.  It's not that I think all that many of my Hubs are all that worth stealing, but I've also had kids tell me (like wiseguys), "Thanks for the homework." 

I know online writing is what it is and stealing is going to happen, but it pretty makes me feel like a big fool.  I know I shouldn't be on here being so discouraging, but I'm pretty discouraged.    I'd rather I make no money from my Hubs (although I'm not entirely here for fun or my health either) than have sleeze-balls and loser-students benefit (even one dime, or even if my stuff only helps them get a D instead of an E).

I'm just kind of thinking, "Leave the stuff I don't care about, and take down the stuff I do."   hmm   (Or else, keep writing and adjust to having morons steal whatever they think is worth stealing.)  Maybe it's better if people's scores and whatever "accolades" they get weren't made public, and people would be more on their own when it comes figuring out how to get traffic.

I can understand that. hmm

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Can accolades be removed?"

Who cares?

Apparently some people do. lol

1. sofs profile image76

Its Back again... Lost and found,but for how long??? ..........it is so weird .

Yes it is strange, but if you want to keep it, then you will have to do as I said in my original post. smile wink

Nice to see you have it back again. Figure it might be gone in about less than 24 hours. lol lol Providing you do not post again, as I stated. lol

4. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Just thought after my "big thing" above about how fed up I've been with the copying thing, I'd come back to mention that I went back and looked to see if those pages were still there.  Only a few are.  Most are gone.  The one with the whole Hub on it is still there, although I don't think it looks like the guy is using Ad Sense. (It just might have been nice if he did a link instead of copying and pasting the whole thing.)

Anyway, rant and "clarification" over (although I still don't think accolades are necessarily the best idea).   hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)