jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

improving my portfolio

1. Cuselax profile image59
    Cuselaxposted 6 years ago

i deleated alot of my earlier hubs.  They seemed to me a bit goofy and unfocused, almost like i was just rambaling.  Is it a good idea to deleate poor hubs or should you keep everything you write published?

1. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
      Kimberly Bunchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I hope you have copies of your work saved...do you? What you write about is important. Don't under estimate your potential.

A good place for competitive writing and/ or to increase your confidence in writing and sharpen your writing skills is a writing site called helium.com That's where I started out writing and it helped me so much!  I wrote competitive articles on varies topics that others wrote on the same subject. The best articles went to the top and the least liked were at the end of the line (sort of say).

Sometimes a hundred people might right on the same topic. It really helps improve one's writing skills writing competitively. I even wrote for the Market Place for cash and was successful at that and I tried out writing contests which were more of a challenge that I gave up on early on but would like to retry sometime.

People rate your work and tell you about what they think about what you wrote. It is a big help. The Market Place is where you can make money on what you write on a subject they want you to write about.

Keep writing for Hub Pages by all means. It is an excellent site! But just add the writing material that you are confident in for now.

Your creative flow of writing is always good. Keep it up!

2. chirls profile image93
      chirlsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've had the same dilemma with one of my hubs. It doesn't score very well because it's kind of seasonal, so I unpublished it once but recently decided to keep it published unless the score goes well below 50 (then I may decide to unpublish again).
      Have you thought about just tweaking and re-writing sections of your hubs? I am constantly editing my hubs - maybe I'm a perfectionist - but after a couple of tries I can usually get them to a state where I'm happy with them.
      Good luck!

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Every time you unpublish, you lose any reputation you've built up with Google - so when you republish, there's a chance it won't have time to build up its page rank again in time for whatever seasonal event you're targetting.

Remember your HubScore doesn't affect how much money you can earn.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

The question is - are they harming anybody by being there?

You never know what people will type into a search engine to arrive at your hub - you might answer a question you had.

Some hubbers have had hubs that took more than a year to take off. Most hubs take 6-9 months to start getting decent traffic.

I personally only delete hubs if they were so bad I cringe when I look at them after all I've learnt since...

3. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

It's best to have kept them and just edit them later. Always room and time to improve. smile