jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Hubpages questions section,,,,

1. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

I noticed that I have gotten at least two questions written directly to me in the answers section.

I never go there, I only saw them because they come up in the "recent activities" when you log in. Otherwise I would have no idea someone asked me a question.

Is it common for hubbers to ask other hubbers there a question? I thought that was what the "contact" link in your profile is for?

If anyone wants to ask me a question please feel free to do so, but please use the contact link in my profile. Otherwise I will have no idea you asked me a question. smile

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Technically, such a question is supposed to be a request to write a hub about it. It should show up in your Hubtivity. You can either accept the request, provide a simple answer (which becomes publicly available), or ignore the request. This procedure is intended to benefit the community.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh ok, I did not know. I thought they were questions just for anyone to answer, sort of like Yahoo answers. Did not know they could also mean a request to make a hub about it.

Thanks for clarify this for me. smile

3. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

You can also periodically check the “Questions” tab in “My Account” if there is a question directed for you it should be shown here, I’m not sure if you get an alert, like you do a comment.

4. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

You can set your account to email you when you get Hub requests too.

People who are unclear on the purpose of that section ask all sorts of things.

5. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

You are welcome. If they ask to your profile, it is a hub request, but no one else will know that, and anyone can answer it as well. If the question is simply posted through the site, it is not a hub request, but anyone can choose to write a hub about it anyway. So it is about as confusing as it can be, and often causes misunderstandings on both sides.

6. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

It certainly does cause confusion and this area is one I hope HP plans to fix soon.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Pcunix, as I posted in another thread, the Question/Answer section has been a dog's breakfast ever since I joined HP!

There are all kinds of problems with it. It's meant to be a section where you can ask a Hubber to write a Hub in answer to your question.  Most external visitors don't understand that, and post questions which couldn't possibly justify a whole Hub.

On top of that,some people think it's one of the ways they can earn money on HubPages, so they post hundreds of stupid questions.

Others post questions so they can answer it as an alter ego and get a free backlink.

I mostly ignored the whole section until the links started appearing on our Hubs.  I hate seeing such puerile rubbish appearing next to a serious article. It's a recent addition and I wish they'd take it off again.