jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

Choosing a proper title to get found

1. SOKCGOLD profile image60
    SOKCGOLDposted 6 years ago

I would appreciate some feedback on the wording of my titles. I have a few hubs that do OK, but others that just fade away. I am trying to rework some of my hubs to see if I can improve them, or if they are just lost causes.

Here is one I am working on:

The Keys to Learning Another Language: Be Humble

I am wondering about the wording of the title.

For example, is it better to use Key instead of Keys, or Learn instead of Learning? Should I possibly use A Second Language instead of Another Language.

I guess I am wondering about Search Engines and getting found. I would like to see if people would be reading these, or if they are just not useful.

If you have any advice apart from titles, I would also appreciate that.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Have you tried using the Google Keyword tool? 

I have a Hub on optimizing your Hubs, you'll find it on my profile - I wrote it for Hubbers like yourself (and me!) who started out writing Hubs without much awareness of how to make money.  It includes a Youtube clip on how to use the keyword tool to select good titles.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this
          SOKCGOLDposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I read Marisa's hub that you mentioned - that's what got me started! The article by Misha seems wordy without being overly clear or helpful. Maybe it's just too late on a Sunday night, or I'm just not getting it.

2. SOKCGOLD profile image60

One other question - if my search query is for KEY, does it find KEYS? Is LEARN equal to LEARNING.

I guess that was part of the keyword tool I'm just not understanding.

1. wilderness profile image97
          wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am far, far from an expert on keywords, so take this with a pound of salt, but:

As I understand it if you use key or learn a search will find keys and learning, but will place it lower down.  Top on the list, after considering other factors, will be the exact match.  At least that's what I find when I run a search using that kind of word change.

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

SOKC--Your hubs are wonderfully written and very informative. If you're not getting traffic, then it's either keywords or not enough promotion. In addition to the hubs that have already been suggested to you, search the forums/hubs about backlinking. Also look up tags, as the hubs I looked at need some work in that area.

FYI, in my experience, travel hubs need a LOT of promotion to get going unless they are really, really niche topics.

And if some of your hubs are doing okay and others aren't, then you're just like the rest of us. Sometimes, no matter how much research we do, it's like tossing a dart at a dartboard. Some stick and some don't. smile

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy the writing; I just want people to enjoy the reading. Promotion is my next project. I'm still in the learning phase, I guess.

As far as tags go, do I just tag for any possible relationship with the article? Are more tags better than fewer focused - i.e. the shotgun approach as opposed to trying to hit a bulls-eye? Are the search engines focused in on tags? Again, I'm still relatively new, so the practical advice really helps. Thanks!

1. lrohner profile image85
        lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

For tags--You always want to include the basics. Let's say it's a hub about milk. You would use milk, dairy and cows as tags. But there are probably a gazillion sites out there that have hogged those keywords, so then we add pasteurized milk, cow's milk and goat's milk. Just in case there are a gazillion more sites that have hogged those keywords, you might use chocolate milk, condensed milk, etc. What you want to wind up with (in my experience only) are a set of tags (10 to 15 min) that go from really broad to really niche. Just make sure they're all relevant to what you're writing about.

I don't believe the search engines are focused in on tags. Although admittedly I only try to keep up with Google because who cares about the others. Google likes to see your main keyword as well as other related keywords in your text, and the tags reinforce that.

You really should use your primary keyword in (preferably) your URL, title, towards the beginning of the text and in at least one capsule title. And then just naturally (and I stress "naturally") work in some of the related keywords that you think folks may be searching for.

I'm not an expert, and would love for someone else to weigh in here though.

1. wilderness profile image97
          wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Irohner, do you try to get it into the summary as well?  I always seem to see it there when doing searches, to tend to think it is important.