jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)

Hubscore 0 Incident!

1. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 9 years ago

Hi Paul, I just found one of my Hubscore at '0'. Can you please check. A Fish Story! sad

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 9 years ago

Hi SunSeven -

It appears that Hub has a very, very high number of duplicates, meaning it includes writing that is elsewhere on the Web. The duplicate-checker penalizes content which is not unique. Please see Jay's post about this.

- Jason

3. SunSeven profile image62

Thanks Jason. I thought so too. It was one of my initial Hubs and it was in one of those endless forwarded emails I get everyday. At that time I thought it interesting and decided to publish it. I think I should remove it now. smile

4. Jason Menayan profile image60

SunSeven -

You don't have to delete it - you can publish anything you have the right to publish (and I doubt a forwarded email is copyrighted by anyone). At the same time, we reward unique content created by Hubbers with a higher HubScore, and, typically, so do the search engines with more traffic!

- Jason

5. SunSeven profile image62

Hmmm... Thats comforting Jason! Anyway I unpublished it. I do not feel comfortable with that single digit score staring at me every time I go to the stats page. LOL!! By the by, when are you going to publish the survey results? smile

6. Jason Menayan profile image60

Hi SunSeven -

The survey results were extremely useful, and we're thankful to all of you that took the time to take it. We'll be using the information we gathered to develop HubPages's new features, but we want to keep our specific plans a bit of a surprise for everyone. smile

- Jason

7. SunSeven profile image62

It will be interesting to see the next upgrade and updates.

I forgot to mention one thing. I just noticed that my 100 score Hub and the 0 score Hub have the same Google PR of 4. How or why is it so?

Thanks Jason

8. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

The page rank that google makes public through the tool bar is only updated every 4-6 months and only has a loose correlation to PR they use internally (which is updated constantly).   I think the HubPages dupe checker just noticed your hub yesterday, so what effect it will have on PR is yet to be seen.

We are always refining the Hubscore algorithm.  Penalizing heavily duplicated content all the way down to a 0 may be a little severe.   We may soften the penalty  in the future, especially for author's that have proven themselves with other hubs.

9. SunSeven profile image62

So thats how it works. I was wondering about the PR. It doesn't really matter whether that Hub finally achieved the deserved '0' LOL! I have unpublished it. One thing I learned from this is, however interesting, forwarded emails are just good for that only, to be forwarded!! Thanks a lot Paul. smile

10. SunSeven profile image62

I am just having a little fun being retrospective! smile
    [Bored with the forums]

11. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago

Did that survey ever get published? Before my time I guess. How can you be bored with all those scintillating arguments raging?

1. Isabella Snow profile image87
      Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago in reply to this

How, indeed.

working