It Looks Like I Need To Have More Surgery

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (14 posts)
  1. BEAUTYBABE profile image68
    BEAUTYBABEposted 13 years ago

High fellow hubbers,

I have not been around to make any comments for a while and I am sorry about that.

I have not been well with my neck problems and have also on top of this problem, developed a hernia.

I have been informed by my Neurosurgeon that unless I have surgery on my neck,it will continue to deteriorate and I could end up one day finding myself paralysed. The problem is that if I have this surgery, there is still a very high risk of my having a stroke because the risks in this type of surgery are  extremely high because of my disease, MSA. So, I have to decide whether or not I want to take this risk to have the surgery to fix the ruptured disc which is very large, in my neck. It would also mean that I would have to have three other levels fused in my neck which is a very big operation. I just don't know what to do.

If I have this surgery, which he said could be eight to twelve hours long, I could end up having a stroke, or any other number of problems with it. If I don't have it, I could end up paralysed. I have been praying for the answer, but I haven't been able to get help there yet.
    Now, on top of this, I have been told that I have a hernia, near my stoma, called a parastomal hernia. I have to have surgery for this because if I don't I am told that the bowel could strangulate and the blood supply could be cut off. This wold be bad also because it would mean emergency surgery to fix the problem.

So, I am asking all of you who know me and know what I am going through and what I have been through since I joined HP,s to please keep me in your prayers to help me to come up with an answer to the neck problem because I probably will be having the surgery to repair the hernia, because of the urgency of this kind of problem.

I appreciate all your kindness and prayers and thoughts in the past, and I will be thinking of all of you as well.

I plan to do a Hub explaining what a Parastomal Hernia is, what can be done about it, and what problems can be caused by it.

Thanks
    Love beautybabe.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beautybabe, have you asked the surgeon how far away "one day" might be?

I confess I was alarmed to hear that a ruptured disc could cause paralysis, because I have a herniated disc in my own neck.  I've done some Googling and it's actually quite rare for a ruptured disc to get so bad it causes paralysis.  As lrohner says, you get plenty of warning signs like numbness and tingling in your arms, long before things get that bad.

Perhaps ask your neurosurgeon if it would be safe to delay neck surgery for a few months?  With surgery, it's always best to get over one operation properly before you embark on the next, and it sounds like the hernia op won't wait.

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

The first thing I would say is that, outside of your other medical problems, the surgery is a breeze. About 10 years ago, the discs in my neck were so bad that I was suffering from parasthesia--I couldn't feel my extremities, although I could move them. The discs had ruptured and were compressing my spinal cord. By the time they did the MRI and found the problem, I was very, very close to being totally paralyzed.

I had 3 discs in my neck replaced with cadaver bone (don't let them take anything from your hip -- DO NOT) in a very long surgery. I left the hospital 24 hours later, followed the doctor's orders to the letter for the next eight weeks and haven't had a problem since.

Good luck with everything, and feel free to contact me via my profile if you have any other questions.

3. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Beautybabe, I don't know you awfully well, but I know you've had more than your share of medical issues.  It looks to me like Irohner has a lot more experience to offer than I do (I have none), but I'm sure tons and tons of prayers and good thoughts will be coming your way from your fellow Hubbers.

Needless to say, you're facing a tough decision; but I'd imagine, with the advice of doctors, you'll be given enough information/guidance to make the right (even if difficult) decision.  Sincerest best wishes.  A lot of us will be watching for your follow up on here and wishing you only the best.

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I don't have any medical expertise or personal experience to offer, but I do send my best wishes for improved health and a speedy recovery from whatever option you choose.

You'll be in my thoughts and I hope you'll keep us posted as your health allows.

5. seanorjohn profile image73
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

beautybabe, will pray that you come through this. Hope Irohner is able to reassure you.Stay strong.

6. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

Wishing you the best in your journey, whatever you decide.

7. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

Wonderful that we have Hubbers like lrohner. Do make contact, and I wish you all the very best.

8. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

BeautyBabe, surgeons are bound by their oaths (or the threat of litigation) to tell you about the risks of surgery.
    I was a nurse, and one day I found myself in agony after "an accident" requiring spinal surgery.
    I was told I had lost three vertebrae and needed immediate surgery, and would I sign a consent form for them to operate.
    I signed - OK I was doped up to my eyebrows in morphine at the time - but I remember as they wheeled the gurney through to the operating theatre wondering if I'd ever walk again.
    The operation went well and here I am - a walking talking normal person again - even if I can't run and take part in serious sporting activities.
    I'm not advising you either way. I'm only saying that sometimes you have to trust the doctors to do what is best for you.
    I'm so sorry you are having to go through all these things. Thinking of you xx

9. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have no medical knowledge or expertise either, but do send positive thoughts and best wishes to you BeautyBabe.

You take care and be safe. wink smile Thank you for letting us know and keep us updated. smile

10. BEAUTYBABE profile image68
    BEAUTYBABEposted 13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your kind messages and thoughts and prayers. First of all, I do have to have the addominal surgery for the hernia because it is too dangerous I have been told, to leave it as it is.

Furthermore, with regard to the neck region, I have to have that surgery as well because I have compression of my spinal cord due to the rupture of the disc and severe degeneration of all the discs in my neck. This of course is made worse because of my Multiple Systems Atrophy, which causes the degeneration in the discs to happen at such an early age. The two biggest things that scare me the most are that I could have a massive stroke and end up on life support, or I could die on the table, which is also a very big possibility also.
    The surgeon is also concerned about my airway, because I have such a bend in my neck that this will make is very difficult for them to place the tube down my throat for the anaesthetic.

Well I have to go now its's getting late, thank you again for your thoughts and prayers. They are all very much appreciated.

Also I would like to say HAPPY 4th BIRTHDAY TO HUBPAGES, congratulations to al job well done to all of you.

Love to All
    Beautybabe.

1. profile image0
      4youreyesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beautybabe,hi I'm sorry to hear of the of your medical problems,but please get a second even a third opinion !!! I wish I had. I know from experience what your are feeling,with the except that mine is my lower back.I had the spinal fusion I herniated L4- L5 disc. They did two surgeries the first was a fusion that didn't work,only the left side healed They went through  me stomach for that one.A year later I was back in surgery having a fusion done it goes from S1-L5.Both surgeries they harvested bone from my hip.To this day where that bone was taken out it hurts like @#@# they neglect to tell you that.Today i have days I can hardly get around and I'm always in pain,it just depends on what degree.I have to take strong pain medication muscle relaxers.and now I have migraines.,so I have to take medicine to control them and another kind when I get one

Best of luck to you I understand what a decision you are facing ,I will keep you in my prayers and please think of getting a second opinion

11. puter_dr profile image91
    puter_drposted 13 years ago

Good luck with the upcoming surgeries and recovery. I hope they will be uneventful, and you will feel bette soon.

12. Gypsy48 profile image75
    Gypsy48posted 13 years ago

Wishing you the best and hope everything goes well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)