High fellow hubbers,
I have not been around to make any comments for a while and I am sorry about that.
I have not been well with my neck problems and have also on top of this problem, developed a hernia.
I have been informed by my Neurosurgeon that unless I have surgery on my neck,it will continue to deteriorate and I could end up one day finding myself paralysed. The problem is that if I have this surgery, there is still a very high risk of my having a stroke because the risks in this type of surgery are extremely high because of my disease, MSA. So, I have to decide whether or not I want to take this risk to have the surgery to fix the ruptured disc which is very large, in my neck. It would also mean that I would have to have three other levels fused in my neck which is a very big operation. I just don't know what to do.
If I have this surgery, which he said could be eight to twelve hours long, I could end up having a stroke, or any other number of problems with it. If I don't have it, I could end up paralysed. I have been praying for the answer, but I haven't been able to get help there yet.
Now, on top of this, I have been told that I have a hernia, near my stoma, called a parastomal hernia. I have to have surgery for this because if I don't I am told that the bowel could strangulate and the blood supply could be cut off. This wold be bad also because it would mean emergency surgery to fix the problem.
So, I am asking all of you who know me and know what I am going through and what I have been through since I joined HP,s to please keep me in your prayers to help me to come up with an answer to the neck problem because I probably will be having the surgery to repair the hernia, because of the urgency of this kind of problem.
I appreciate all your kindness and prayers and thoughts in the past, and I will be thinking of all of you as well.
I plan to do a Hub explaining what a Parastomal Hernia is, what can be done about it, and what problems can be caused by it.
Beautybabe, have you asked the surgeon how far away "one day" might be?
I confess I was alarmed to hear that a ruptured disc could cause paralysis, because I have a herniated disc in my own neck. I've done some Googling and it's actually quite rare for a ruptured disc to get so bad it causes paralysis. As lrohner says, you get plenty of warning signs like numbness and tingling in your arms, long before things get that bad.
Perhaps ask your neurosurgeon if it would be safe to delay neck surgery for a few months? With surgery, it's always best to get over one operation properly before you embark on the next, and it sounds like the hernia op won't wait.
The first thing I would say is that, outside of your other medical problems, the surgery is a breeze. About 10 years ago, the discs in my neck were so bad that I was suffering from parasthesia--I couldn't feel my extremities, although I could move them. The discs had ruptured and were compressing my spinal cord. By the time they did the MRI and found the problem, I was very, very close to being totally paralyzed.
I had 3 discs in my neck replaced with cadaver bone (don't let them take anything from your hip -- DO NOT) in a very long surgery. I left the hospital 24 hours later, followed the doctor's orders to the letter for the next eight weeks and haven't had a problem since.
Good luck with everything, and feel free to contact me via my profile if you have any other questions.
Beautybabe, I don't know you awfully well, but I know you've had more than your share of medical issues. It looks to me like Irohner has a lot more experience to offer than I do (I have none), but I'm sure tons and tons of prayers and good thoughts will be coming your way from your fellow Hubbers.
Needless to say, you're facing a tough decision; but I'd imagine, with the advice of doctors, you'll be given enough information/guidance to make the right (even if difficult) decision. Sincerest best wishes. A lot of us will be watching for your follow up on here and wishing you only the best.
I don't have any medical expertise or personal experience to offer, but I do send my best wishes for improved health and a speedy recovery from whatever option you choose.
You'll be in my thoughts and I hope you'll keep us posted as your health allows.
beautybabe, will pray that you come through this. Hope Irohner is able to reassure you.Stay strong.
Wonderful that we have Hubbers like lrohner. Do make contact, and I wish you all the very best.
BeautyBabe, surgeons are bound by their oaths (or the threat of litigation) to tell you about the risks of surgery.
I was a nurse, and one day I found myself in agony after "an accident" requiring spinal surgery.
I was told I had lost three vertebrae and needed immediate surgery, and would I sign a consent form for them to operate.
I signed - OK I was doped up to my eyebrows in morphine at the time - but I remember as they wheeled the gurney through to the operating theatre wondering if I'd ever walk again.
The operation went well and here I am - a walking talking normal person again - even if I can't run and take part in serious sporting activities.
I'm not advising you either way. I'm only saying that sometimes you have to trust the doctors to do what is best for you.
I'm so sorry you are having to go through all these things. Thinking of you xx
I have no medical knowledge or expertise either, but do send positive thoughts and best wishes to you BeautyBabe.
You take care and be safe. Thank you for letting us know and keep us updated.
Thank you for your kind messages and thoughts and prayers. First of all, I do have to have the addominal surgery for the hernia because it is too dangerous I have been told, to leave it as it is.
Furthermore, with regard to the neck region, I have to have that surgery as well because I have compression of my spinal cord due to the rupture of the disc and severe degeneration of all the discs in my neck. This of course is made worse because of my Multiple Systems Atrophy, which causes the degeneration in the discs to happen at such an early age. The two biggest things that scare me the most are that I could have a massive stroke and end up on life support, or I could die on the table, which is also a very big possibility also.
The surgeon is also concerned about my airway, because I have such a bend in my neck that this will make is very difficult for them to place the tube down my throat for the anaesthetic.
Well I have to go now its's getting late, thank you again for your thoughts and prayers. They are all very much appreciated.
Also I would like to say HAPPY 4th BIRTHDAY TO HUBPAGES, congratulations to al job well done to all of you.
Love to All
Beautybabe,hi I'm sorry to hear of the of your medical problems,but please get a second even a third opinion !!! I wish I had. I know from experience what your are feeling,with the except that mine is my lower back.I had the spinal fusion I herniated L4- L5 disc. They did two surgeries the first was a fusion that didn't work,only the left side healed They went through me stomach for that one.A year later I was back in surgery having a fusion done it goes from S1-L5.Both surgeries they harvested bone from my hip.To this day where that bone was taken out it hurts like @#@# they neglect to tell you that.Today i have days I can hardly get around and I'm always in pain,it just depends on what degree.I have to take strong pain medication muscle relaxers.and now I have migraines.,so I have to take medicine to control them and another kind when I get one
Best of luck to you I understand what a decision you are facing ,I will keep you in my prayers and please think of getting a second opinion
Good luck with the upcoming surgeries and recovery. I hope they will be uneventful, and you will feel bette soon.
by TheGlassSpider6 years ago
In what is absolutely the LAST thing I and what family I have left need to hear at this point in time - my father is back in the hospital with sepsis. He's been fighting an infection in the bones of his foot for ten...
by Jane@CM7 years ago
Hey all, my 14 year old son could use prayers and good thoughts today. (so could his mom)!Yesterday, after doing a 360 on his snowboard he fell out of it & broke his right collar bone is two places. He will be...
by Holle Abee4 years ago
Dang. We need to buy stock in our local hospital. Hubby got out of CCU just a couple of weeks ago, my son-in-law had to have an appendectomy last week, and two of my daughters are there now. One has been admitted for...
by TIMETRAVELER22 years ago
I have spent many hours today trying to figure out why I could not get my Yahoo site to open completely or get my yahoo mail to work. Found out later today that the problem is with the site and not my...
by Holle Abee6 years ago
The baby was born without a uvula. This in itself is no problem, unless she wants to learn to speak German, Hebrew, Arabic, or some other language that requires gutteral sounds. The problem is that sometimes a bifid...
by Jacqueline Williamson BBA MPA MS13 months ago
In a couple of hours, I will be on my way to surgery. Please keep me in your positive thoughts and although I am a bit nervous ... I am believing in a rapid recovery! Don't forget to have a wonderful day!
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.