jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)

Life Coaching Books - A Bunch of Bollocks?

1. profile image0
    T_Diamondposted 6 years ago

I've read one of these books called "Excuse me, your life is waiting" by Lynn Grabhorn, and it really works for me. I can apply the techniques I learnt in that book in real life, and I can see the results.

It's very exciting!

Having said that, I know others who've read similar books which they thought was a complete waste of time.

My question is...Do you believe in these life-coaching books?

1. Garrett Mickley profile image80
      Garrett Mickleyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've read Tim Ferriss' "4 Hour Work Week" and it not only gave me some tips that I have put to use in every day life, but also inspired me to work towards leaving my 8-5 job so that I can enjoy life the way I want.

I don't know if that is considered a Life Coaching book, but what you said reminded me of it.

I'll write a hub about how it helped me, although I'm sure there's already some out there.

1. profile image0
        T_Diamondposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

2. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I think they can be helpful for anyone who wants some direction and tips. as you say in your post, some can benefit from them, others aren't interested.

if it helped you, that's what counts. smile

1. profile image0

Thx Rebekah smile

2. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

rebekahELLE, I agree.  Some people like to look to others for tips and advice.  Some figure things out for themselves well.  It doesn't mean the books are useless to those looking for that kind of info.

3. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 6 years ago

Yes, they can offer some good ideas. 'Simplify Your Life' helped me get my life back on track a few years ago - not that I'd use any such book as though it were the Bible (I'm not disciplined enough for that anyway).

1. profile image0

That's great Camlo, thx for sharing!

1. sofs profile image86
        sofsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I cant say I've read  many life coaching books,  but the tips that I have been putting out for my local social group has been (I am  told )pretty effective and I've seen lives brighten up! 
        So actually its about what an individual is looking for at that point of time.
        I can surely say even if we may not be able to follow all that is said to the T we may still be able to take away something for ourselves.

4. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

My life coaching lessons were from experience, having been raised on an island where no one else lived. If you didn't just do it yourself.. it didn't happen!

I think it's sad that people today do not have lifestyles that allow them to grow on their own wits as opposed to gaining life skills from less natural sources. sad

5. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

what is bollocks?

1. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It means something like 'a load of rubbish' here. Look in a dictionary for what it could otherwise mean smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
        prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks for that it said "testicles" hehehe
        How could a "testicle" be useless???
        It could mean nonsense or useless?? in this OP it means that life coaching is useless or nonsense, am I right?

1. camlo profile image84
          camloposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's right smile
          You could also say a load of balls ...
          People used to say 'a load of bull', but 'codswallop' I like even better, whatever that is smile

2. alternate poet profile image78
      alternate poetposted 6 years ago

There are a few life coaching books, hubs etc,   I find about 5% excellent advice with good ideas for moving forward - 95% pure bollocks´╝î to quote the OP big_smile

3. Pearldiver profile image86
      Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

It Gets Worse yikes

I Think he called the coach GrabHorn in the same sentence as bollocks! yikes

I wonder What Life Skills are taught here literally? hmm

working