Well Researched Hubs Not Earning Anything?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (63 posts)
  1. jasoncox83 profile image60
    jasoncox83posted 13 years ago

Ok this is not for promotional, only as an example of a recently published hub.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Is-Space-Travel-Worth-The-Cost

That or feel free to visit my hubs pick a random one..Although a few I understand why they are not earning anything but ones like this above (Only as an example) or my one on Creating your own herb garden, or pro's vs con's of working from home. None of which has really earned me a dime.

I do not understand where I am going wrong, I have promoted on all major social networking sites, created summaries on other web 2.0 websites, as well as my blog etc. So I have done nearly 2 hours of marketing each article after writing it.
    The only thing I am not sure on is how to properly use the Article Directories...I can't submit the same one due to duplication, and rewording it I am afraid would result in the same penalty.

Feel free to be BRUTALLY honest, so long as you stay respectful in how you say it. All comments welcomed.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do the advertisements drawn to that Hub by your content help in serving the needs and wants of your visitors?  If you were a random reader of that Hub and not the creator, how would the ads shown or products offered appeal to you?  Do you genuinely need or want them?

You might consider putting in some time reading the various Hubs that other site users have written about earnings and explore the different angle and approaches that users here are pursuing.  Here's mine:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hub-Earnings

2. Adult Content profile image58
      Adult Contentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe posting a link to your hub is considered self-promotion regardless of where it is posted. 
      Is that no longer the policy?  If not, can anyone post the proof?
      I have other concerns but will first read the rest of the posts before I say anything else.

1. Anolinde profile image80
        Anolindeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is okay to post your links here.  All you had to do to find out is read the "What this forum is for.." thread at the very top.

"This forum is a place you can ask for feedback... and, wonder of wonders, include a link to the hub in question without fear of snipping!

All links in this forum are nofollowed.  Spam and affiliate links are obviously still no-go."

3. warchild75 profile image65
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

3weeks man it takes longer than that,could be 3-4 months before those hubs get picked up and u start earning from them,use my philosophy write it,promote it,forget it!!!!

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some comments on this specific Hub:

You're using the Link Suggestion Tool to sprinkle your Hub with links to other parts of HubPages, in the first two paragraphs.

That's just tempting your reader away before they get a chance to click on your ads.  Check out some of the forum posts about this feature - some of the most successful money-making Hubbers refuse to use it on the grounds it leaks traffic.  You can make your own mind up, but I tend to agree.

The big Adsense ads are irrelevant so no one is going to click on them - maybe it's not such a good keyword after all, unless you're going to turn it into an Amazon Hub.

The Hub is a bit short - I would beef it up with some Youtube clips, which keep the visitor on your page longer (which Google likes).

1. Adult Content profile image58

So are you saying you do not use this HP Link system in hopes of making money? 
        So what you're saying is that this is supposed to be a "big, happy family" place but if it means potentially losing any income whatsoever then people don't use it? 
        So they no doubt have low "karma" scores?  Do these people who claim to be the biggest moneymakers here have proof that it leaks traffic?  Do they think so little of their ad copy that they think people will not return to their own hubs?
        What about the fact that publicizing this attitude may give their potential readers an attitude of their own?
        Personally, if I enjoy the way a certain company advertises its product it doesn't matter how much another company advertises. . . I will buy from the company I like.

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool post Adult.  Most likely if one does not find a products advertising not appealing,  Having worked in Advertising over 20 years in many many countries, It was quickly clear, if a consumer does not respond to any medium of advertising it is because the ad sucks creatively or you are not within that products target group that is desired.

90% of all advertising here in North america is such garbage, both print and broadcast, etc.  The remaining 10% are brilliant creative pieces of direction.  There is no middle ground here.

So what's my point besides just the need to ramble?  A single hub, yes is treated individually.  But this can not happen until your portfolio stands for and presents a package that all together, as it grows hub by hub, the package and presentation get hungry.

The Hubber must go seek and share and display and blog and everywhere or every network, posting your hubs, Will slowly, but eventually, no longer sit as you say 'not eating anything.

I would place ones expectations on not earning anything substantial to well after a year.

Again, you have to do the work, short of being Stephen King and word gets out he's hubbing here!

big_smile

2. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have no problem linking to other hubs, but I do not like the Suggestion tool much because I think it makes lousy suggestions.

I link when someone has something good that adds value to my hub.  I have gone back and added links to hubs because I found the perfect post two weeks later, but I have plenty of hubs with no links, too.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

Who said? HubPages is a business, so the reality is that the most valued members are those who write articles to make money - people like Nelle Hoxie, Darkside or Relache.  You'll notice their participation in the "big happy family" is limited, apart from helping out new Hubbers - they're too busy working. 

When I joined, most Hubbers were like that - commenting on other Hubs and dropping into the forums was something you did when you needed a break (or were procrastinating about writing...).  These days, some Hubbers seem to see the forums, commenting and following as more important than writing.  Which is fine with me, if that's what they want to do - but it's not actually what HubPages was designed for.

The linking tool offers no direct benefit to the Hubber using it, although we all get an indirect benefit because it keeps the reader on HubPages longer. 

Publicizing it where?  On these forums?  None of my readers is ever likely to read these forums, because like all Hubbers, virtually all my readers come from outside HubPages.

Oops!  I meant to type NOT supposed to be . . .
            I'm not sure I would agree that "most VALUED
            members are those who write articles to make money" but perhaps you mispoke there or I am misunderstanding something.  I would not know for what HP was designed as I have never spoken to the founders or read any mission statements.  Are you saying the founders/owners meant this place to be nothing more than a big billboard?

Anyway, I've not seen any surveys regarding traffic but I would not automatically state that most people who visit HP don't get curious and explore the site.  I am sure it may not matter much to anyone who is established especially since no one can prove anything anyway.  I just don't think it's a good idea to advertise any negative attitude anywhere on HP just in case.
            Surely it can't hurt to be safe, right?  After all, it's not like no one could copy and paste statements onto an actual hub, right?  Wouldn't a new program like this and how hubbers feel about it make a good topic?
            Doesn't the linking tool offer other hubbers more exposure since others will be linking our hubs to theirs?  This particular program is new and I admit I have never asked questions about it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Absolutely not.  Read the introduction to the site, read the guidelines for Flagship Hubs or the contests.  Clearly, HubPages wants people to write quality articles.  But it's common sense that they didn't start this site to provide a free writing platform out of the goodness of their hearts.  HubPages is a business. The only money they make is from advertising on our Hubs.  Ergo, they want people whose articles attract readers who click on those ads.  Just look at the HubPages blog and you'll see that the Hubbers who are celebrated most are the ones who are financially successful. Without them, HubPages could not exist.

Possibly, but the only people likely to look for and read a Hub about it are other Hubbers.

Yes, the assumption is that it's a tit for tat - but in practice, you have no idea whether anyone is returning the favour.

I would say it is possible that there may be some good writers here who don't bother signing up to be ad affiliates.   In fact, wouldn't HP make more money off someone who is a good writer and NOT an ad affiliate?  Just curious.
                I understand everything runs on money.  I just am hesistant to assume that ALL the good writers are ad affiliates and that ALL the ad affiliates are good writers . . . especially since HP does not share all the details.  I know MY favorite hubber was never an ad affiliate.  He had lots of fans, a couple of hundred hubs on here--mostly under one name--and a score of 93 or 94 within less than a year.

So there is no way to find out if anyone is returning the favor or is it just that no one has researched that yet?

1. WryLilt profile image87
                  WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, more money would be available to hubpages (100% instead of 40% of earnings). However you'll find that those who haven't signed up for affiliates are few and far between (either new or so busy writing they don't know you can earn.)
                  If a member earns say $6000 then hubpages earns approx $4000. So they would encourage writers who know how to write in such a way as to attract clicks. People who are just writing for writing's sake are not optimizing their hubs for clicks which means they don't make as much money for the site.

Dividing the money with writers encourages more writers to write more content - basically we're creating the website content so we should get some reward...

About link sharing schemes - you may want to read this thread replied to by the site's creator, Paul Deeds: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/49303#post1126859

Internal links make the site stronger but just linking back and forth between two hubs can lower the quality of the links.

I only link between my own hubs UNLESS I find a really good hub on a topic I'd like to refer to. Often I'd consider some of the suggestions as low quality and after viewing them I go and make a higher quality hub on the topic if I'm that interested.

Also I believe links can be confused with Kontera adverts when sprinkled too liberally in a hub.

I would be interested in reading the stats on the survey that was taken regarding non-affiliate writers being few and far between.  It might be interesting.  Where do I find that information?
                    I would imagine a GOOD writer who doesn't go out of his way to optimize his site for clicks would still attract more traffic than someone who can barely write but has used all the money-making tricks, no?
                    Yes, since this program began I have only chosen links that I thought related to my piece OR that I at least thought were worthy of attention. 
                    You're right.  For a second or two even I--a college-educated person with common sense--confused the Kontera links with the others.  I can imagine what some schmuck who can barely log on might possibly think.

4. Sullen91 profile image71
          Sullen91posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excellent post "Adult-content" -- it's sad that everything you said SHOULD apply, but it doesn't. Let's be realistic. Choose either to use this site as a repository of your writing, or choose to work fiendishly to make some money. Those objectives are almost in dead opposition. I have a "hubkarma" of 97, but I realize that I'm probably diverting people from my content. Your average internet user is very impatient, and the odds are they will "bounce", upon clicking extraneous links. While that idea didn't bother me in the beginning, thinking that the article would compel a user to act on its merit, it does irk me now, when users find my work and leave via a link. I guess internet users are capricious, and it is best to use links to your own content, use them sparingly for the very best content that is pertinent, or don't use them at all.

5. Anolinde profile image80
      Anolindeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jason, I believe that with article directories, you write a totally different article, but within the same topic, so you won't be getting any duplicate content penalties.  I may be wrong, but if I am, I'm sure many here will gladly correct me.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Welcome to hubpages! (And yes you are allowed to post hub links in this forum only, with no retribution.)

Do you know what keyword research is? I'm assuming you do since you obviously know about backlinking. However here's my brutal honesty:

- Creating what you think is a great page is, in the end, completely random. You'll be surprised at what takes off and what doesn't. I've written really well researched hubs that have never had a google hit but other hubs I wrote as a joke have taken off with no research at all.
    - You've only been here three weeks. Keep writing hubs - the more you have the more you'll learn (and earn). I'd say write 30 before you worry about what is/isn't taking off.
    - Many hubs take awhile to rank well. It can take 6-9 months to know for certain that a hub is a complete flop.
    - No matter how much your promote, "cream rises" (-Pcunix). Basically that means no matter how much you promote something with poor research and high competition, you may never get anywhere while a really good hub can just rise on its own without any work from you except hitting the "publish" button.

(Edit: I'm getting ~800 views a day and about the most promoting I do is to tweet hubs - and that's only if I remember!)

3. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Jason, you're probably not going wrong.  It takes awhile for new Hubs to get picked up.  It also takes a build-up of Hubs to make a bigger difference in earnings.

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Hubs are like wine and cheese. They need to age. You've only been here 3 weeks. Give it time.

That said, you are ranking #1 for "Tips to Subdividing Land." The problem is that no one is searching for that keyword phrase. No one's searching for "How to Budget for College" or "How to Start Your Own Herb Garden" either. I took a look at your tags. Hardly anyone is searching for "subdivide land", and so forth and so on.

You need to do some keyword research before you write. No matter how good the hub or how well you've done your SEO, if there's no traffic for the keywords, there's no $$ for you.

5. jasoncox83 profile image60

Thank you both, please note I do keyword research by the way, extensive might I add. I either shoot for Low comp with low pay and high searches or the opposite of High pay, low to mid comp, and low searches (niche). I use Google Adwords for my keyword research, as well a few other misc keyword tools. I try to maintain a 3-5% keyword density for my primaries, and a 1-3% for my secondary keywords.
    Not all my hubs are high traffic ones granted, a few like you mentioned are just simply ones I had on my mind to write at the time. What is irritating is I have had over 400 views already, with only 120 impressions, and earned .03 cents. (This is prob the one thing that is the most frustrating)

Other than that thank you for your feedback, keep them coming smile

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Keyword density isn't going to do it--at least for Google--and it can potentially hurt you if you overdo it. You should have your keyword in the URL, title, at least one capsule heading, near the beginning of the hub and then maybe one or two other places. And then research LSI. That's what Google really wants.

I don't know where your traffic is coming from, but generally here on HubPages, new hubs get a burst of traffic from other hubbers initially. Unfortunately, other hubbers aren't going to make you any $$. The traffic then dies down until Google kicks in with another traffic stream that could be potential $$ for you.

And Lissie has given you some very, very good advice. You should read that several times. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Do you change the search to "exact" on the Google tool?   

If you leave it at the default, which is "broad", it can be completely misleading.

6. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 13 years ago

OK I picked one of your hubs at random "working from home" is what I assume the kw is. The competition is serious - even the guy with the 12 year old exact domain match ie workingfromhome.com is only in spot #7 against msn, abc, wikipedia etc - several PR6s showing in Market Samurai's datacenter.

You don't have the perfect url or title for your hub ie its not an exact match

I'm seeing no backlinks to it in the Chrome SEO site tool - although you may have built some they haven't got counted by Yahoo never mind Google.

I haven't built any new hubs for a while - but my older ones are still making me lots of money (nb on different profiles compared to the one I am logged in at the moment).

I'd relook at your keyword strategy

If you are sure of it - write 5/6 related hubs - interlink them

Build good links to them from
    ezinearticles
    unique articles posted on other sites
    mass submissions of the same articles doesn't give you a good return on time in my experience
    bookmarking is useless except for social traffic

What traffic do you have ? Where is it from? Are you getting long tail searches - then build links based on those too.

Once you have traffic income will probably follow - until you have search traffic you have nothing.

Not every hub works - but build 100 or so and you should start to see a pattern of what does and does not work.

Hubs left to age alone - will probably just die (sometimes you get lucky) - you are 100% of the game because you are building links - just not quite the right ones.

I have very few hubs that have aged badly. Some that haven't been promoted have not got a google hit for the first few months and then taken off. Ageing can make them better.

7. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

After just 3 weeks you can't expect to dominate the search engines and to have made your first million...

It takes a while for your hubs to creep up the search engine results no matter what you do unless you are very lucky or long established.

I do not expect much from my hubs until at least 6 months to a year has passed, they need to gain pagerank and so on...

Just don't give up, keep going, keep publishing...

8. Adult Content profile image58
    Adult Contentposted 13 years ago

OK.  Here are a few other comments.  You need to know that it takes time.  You also need to know that this is not a get rich quick kind of thing. 
    Not everyone is all about earning money here.  Not everyone earns a lot of money here. 
    You may also benefit from having someone like an English teacher read what you write.  Even if you choose a subject that supposedly ANYone can make money writing about the truth is people are going to read the ones that are well-written.  Concentrating ONLY on doing what it takes to make money as opposed to writing your ad copy well is not the best idea.
    The truth is you may never make much money here.  That's okay.  There are easier ways to make money than using HP.

9. jasoncox83 profile image60

Thank you everyone, I'll repost in a month, to get additional feedback. For the record I do not expect to be "getting rich" from Hubpages though. The point I was trying to make was having now over 500 views, with only 190 page impressions, and only made .03 Cents.

10. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

Anything is possible, but I have been here writing for almost  a year, I have almost 100 hubs, and most are well thought out, interesting, researched, funny, bizarre, or all of the above.  I have links to my facebook account, and advertize my hubs there as well, and I have figured out how to get my hubs on the first and second pages of the google search directory, and guess what, I have no intention of quitting my day job.  I have yet to make my first hundred dollars.  But this is the question, are you writing here to make money, or to write and let someone read what you write.  Do you intend to write a book and need practise? These are all reasons for writing here, except the making money reason is a bad one.

Ddsurfsca, I had a quick look at a couple of your Hubs and I think I see the problem.  It's a good illustration of what I was saying - just because you can get good page rank and good traffic doesn't mean you'll get people clicking on ads.   

A good example - you have a Hub about vitamins with ads for vitamins. That should work, right?  Well no - because your Hub tells people what a waste of time it is to take vitamins.  And you have a Hub about keeping things sterile, which I thought would feature anti-bacterial stuff - but instead, it tells you to use soap.   

As for your funny and bizarre stuff, people will come and read it are probably not in the mood to buy anything - so those ads won't get clicked, either. 

Hope that helps.

11. Adult Content profile image58
    Adult Contentposted 13 years ago

I don't think I have seen proof of anyone's earnings save one or two people just for the record.
    I also would say that fiction hubs could sell product just as well as any other hub providing the advertising relates . . . for example advertising for online bookstores, books written by the hub author, etc.
    I would, however, hesitate to just automatically trust the claims of anyone here regarding earnings or anything else without seeing proof . . . and as far as I can tell HP doesn't release that information.
    I am not here to argue I am just here to point out that this is the internet where anyone can say anything.
    Another bit of FYI: Yes, I was TOLD I could (in theory) make money but I was never SHOWN.  I have seen ONE hub where someone has shown specific figures but even in that hub it would take a lot of effort to verify the claims.
    When I say something and later learn I was wrong I just admit it.  I don't perpetuate the myth with hyperbole.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Google-Keyword-Tool-Redefined - is the the one you're referring to?

A lot of the higher earning hubbers either write on another account or don't reveal their earnings anymore. You may have noticed people are very tight lipped about their best hubs - basically because there are many unscrupulous people who copy content without worrying about duplicate content or copyright.

I've never doubted the system - I could see how it worked straight away. So I just keep plugging away. It doesn't happen overnight but I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. I made nearly $30 last month (just on adsense) and can already see this month beating that by a sizeable amount. I'm currently trying to up my amazon sales...

Of course it's not a get rich quick scheme it's a "Put in lots of work now and earn later" scheme.

There's nothing wrong with being cute by the way.

I can't speak for the so-called "higher earning" hubbers because--again--it's near impossible for anyone to prove anything online.  I have heard people discuss their best hubs actually.  Again though, people will say what they will say and if you call them on fibbing about their earnings they will have all sorts of reasons to NOT show any specific proof.  So I just don't allow me to suck them in in the first place.
        Yes.  See?  YOUR claim is a bit more realistic.  Less than a dollar a day is believable. 
        You are one of the few people pushing to make money who actually admits no one gets rich here.  Good for you!
        Again, nothing wrong with being cute, okay?

2. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for a promo WryLilt smile

I see no point in proving something to a person that already made their mind, though smile

Oh, and you are definitely cute smile

AC - I was trying to prove the point that someone who hadn't been here long can make an exponentially increasing amount (my monthly earnings have been 14c, 25c, $3, $12, $9 then $29 approx). So with that kind of earning increase I can see how hubbers who've been here longer and written more can earn a large amount.

I give up! How about when I hit $200 a month I send you a screenie? LoL Or will you take my word for it.

Misha! I'm not cute *growl* I've spent my life with that word attached to me.... Grrr

I have not made UP my mind.  I just think that people need to realize every account is different.  One person might make next to nothing a month and someone else might make more.  You might have a good month then hit a ceiling. 
            Making some money here is a good thing but I am not going to let anyone let me think it doesn't take an effort or that I can quit my day job.  I'm not going to let anyone tell me that because a hub makes money that it's literature as opposed to a clever billboard.  I think it does a disservice to some people to equate a good knowledge of online advertising tricks with the ability to write well (in English).

I have not made UP my mind about the theoretical potential earnings of anyone except to say that no one will get rich here.

As for you being cute--you just need to be happy no one calls you "handsome" or "homely".  I'll take "cute" any day no matter how old I get!
            Would you settle for "attractive"?

Most times that a newbie turns up on the forums asking about money, someone is there telling them it takes time and isn't easy. I honestly think of this site as the writers version of Amway - yes a few people get rich but not everyone makes it there.

Handsome for a girl or guy? If I was a guy I'd take it as a compliment - I don't think I've ever heard it applied to a girl.

Yes attractive will do - I'll put up with most adjectives that don't begin with a "C".

Yeah, I think it's odd, too, but some people refer to women as being handsome.  i personally look at the women they are speaking about and figure they either mean "ugly" or "the poor thing got all the wrong things from her dad".
                Yes. Amway isn't a bad comparison if you consider the woner of HP is the person getting rich.  I WILL admit there are a lot more realistic voices out there nowadays than the last year or so.   
                Some people here think I have an issue with people making money but I don't.  I just don't like people who talk out their @$$e$ about this subject.
                I might soon end up writing ad copy myself for a website venture one of my writing bosses is considering.  She has liked what I have done for her in the past for free, almost free or for next to nothing (read FREE BOOZE, FOOD and a place to do Jaeger Bombs with her barely legal daughter and friends). 
                Still, I can promise you that will refer to THAT work as advertising/sales work and NOT confuse it with my other work as a paid writer. 
                If I didn't have kids, my recetly-resurrected writing career would already be covering all my expenses . . .but NOT making me rich!  Oh well!  I could always resurrect my acting career again . . . maybe . . .

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
                  Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're not acting now?

Yes.  I'm "acting" now here on HP but my last paying gig was Seabisquit.

I have not seen one single person tell you anything like that. 

No one has said Hubs which make money are literature, any more than an article in OK Magazine or the Bulletin is literature.  Magazine-style money-making Hubs are written for the popular market. 

Yes, successful sales-style Hubs are clever billboards and good luck to people who are clever enough to write them.  Those Hubbers don't claim they're literature either.

No one has suggested HubPages will enable you to quit your day job tomorrow.  There are some Hubbers here who have quit their day job, but if you'd bothered to read their posts properly, you'd note they have all been working online for at least two years before getting to that point, and HubPages is only one part of their portfolio.

If you're seeking to make money online, HubPages is a great place to start.  It's like having your own website on training wheels, and unlike some apprenticeships, you can actually earn money while you learn.  And unlike most other "starter" sites, it's so good that most people who started on HubPages continue to use it, even when they have created their own websites. 

Try reading a few Hubs by those successful Hubbers whom you're so determined not to believe.  None of them offer instant riches or tell you it's easy - if you want to make this your full-time job, you have to work at it like your full-time job.

Like Wrylilt, I watched my HubPages income grow exponentially from about the six month mark onwards, and I know I don't write clever sales Hubs or pick good niches.  Based on that experience, it's a simple matter of arithmetic to see that claims made by people like Nelle are realistic and achievable, if I wanted to make this a job rather than a hobby.  I just happen to like my day job.

I did not say anyone told me anything in this forum.
                I have read things on HP for longer than you know.
                I have read or been told everything I have previously-mentioned.
                Thank you for agreeing that you shouldn't quit your day job just because you are on HP.
                By the way, an article in OK magazine is certainly closer to literature than ad hubs.  There is a difference between writing an article and writing ad copy.  In one case, the person is getting paid to write whereas the other person is making money from being an ad affiliate. 
                I did not mention any names so please do not try to tell me that what I have read and been told in the past is "fiction".
                People also stay here because of a few of the people.  I have seen that in print here, too.  In fact, I have seen THAT even more often than I see people claiming they are still here because this palces makes them so much money.
                Again, there's no point in making claims about getting rich or making so much money strictly on HP that one can totally support himself with HP income. 
                There is no proof AND as someone who HAS worked in sales I can tell you that figures fluctuate and furthermore they don't always rise significantly.
                So I stand by everything I said in my last post.  Please don't assume I get all my information from a couple of days in this forum.  I don't.  I have been checking things out here for going on two years.
                This site will not make anyone rich.  It takes work to make what you DO make and making money with hubs here does NOT make you a writer.  I don't think it's fair to anyone to not be truthful and realistic when they speak to new people about this.
                Now I have to go and rewrite an article on the Blue Cheer.  I'm getting PAID to write that . . . as opposed to going on here for nothing.

OK, now I understand you're responding to lies people have told you in the past.  Thank you for clarifying that.  However I don't think that just because you've seen people making misleading comments elsewhere, it's reasonable to go way overboard in the other direction, and question everyone's honesty about their earnings, which is how your posts read.

I'm sure we all know that if we read a Hub or blog post about how great a site is, with a link to that site, we need to take it with a pinch of salt.  After all, that link is likely an affiliate link which they will earn from. 

That's a different kettle of fish from Hubbers posting in these forums, where there are no trackers.  But as Misha said, you've clearly made up your mind that we're all a bunch of charlatans, so there's no point in having any further debate.

Why would someone who has come to a Hub to read a short story be interested in buying an unrelated book?

I agree, they may be interested in buying more books by the author - but then, HubPages wouldn't get a cut of that unless the book was in an Amazon capsule.

I know you're extremely cynical about earning claims on here.  That's your privilege.

I was using that as an example.  I am sure a good advertising exec could think of something to advertise on a fiction hub.  Perhaps actual books by the author and/or books by the same publisher in the same genre.  Yes, I know that HP would actually have to solicit their business in the same way they solicit other advertisers.
        I am not necessarily cynical about actual earning I just think that people have to be realistic.

3. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years ago

Cool, you not cute. You are just plain beautiful smile

Nawww Shucks *Blushes*

I'd think you were after my niches but... I think you're ahead of me there!

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now you got me puzzled. My English is not good enough to decipher this message smile

big_smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

“Well Researched Hubs Not Earning Anything”

Story of my life and many others.

Sometimes the google gods are kind, sometimes they are not.

I will sometimes take a couple shots at changing googles opinion, either way I then just move on.

Bottom line. I believe in conceding to the saying, "Point of Diminishing Returns...”

5. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

LOL I like that Marisa  a "website on training wheels."  You are so right, it takes time and effort, trial and error, to build a portfolio of hubs that WORK for you. My writing topics have no rhyme nor reason, I may see something on TV or in a shopping center and when I get a chance I look up how popular a search is for it and BOOM I have a hub.  After 15 months here and 7 other websites I tend to, besides my real job, I think I've learned a thing or two about earning money online.

6. McHamlet profile image60
      McHamletposted 13 years ago

I don't know a whole lot about the promotional side, jason, but I think the writing here needs major work.

I'd rewrite the following, for example:

"Many believe that space travel is well worth the cost factor, while others believe that money would better serve other needs right here on Earth. Many who dislike our currently space program as it is today, feel we should spend more toward ocean exploration considering how little we know.

Below is a summarized list of advantages, and disadvantages of space travel."

along the lines of:

"Many believe that space travel is well worth the costs involved, while others believe that that money would better serve other needs right here on Earth. Those who disapprove of our current space program feel we should, for example, spend more money on exploring our oceans, considering how little we know of them.

Here's a summary of the advantages and disadvantages of space travel:"

Or something like that. I think if you spend a lot of time re-reading your hubs and comparing them to professional articles written on a similar theme, your writing will improve. Anyway I hope this is useful. Keep at it.

7. jasoncox83 profile image60

Thank you all for your input. I will await about another month, and try to get feedback once again. Have a great afternoon.

1. McHamlet profile image60
        McHamletposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure, see how it goes. Cheers.

8. Sylvie Strong profile image59
      Sylvie Strongposted 13 years ago

I find it humorous that Adult Content, a writer that took up so much of your time writing about hubpages but never seemed to publish any hubs, has now been banned from hubpages.  I feel that maybe before you are allowed access to the forums, they should make you write a few hubs yourself.

1. Sullen91 profile image71
        Sullen91posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't negate the validity of what I said, and that is why I post.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)