jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Promotional Hubs Query - Saying You'll Link for Cash

1. earner profile image86
    earnerposted 6 years ago

I've sat on this question for a few hours now, not really knowing how to word it.... but the question's festering away, so I'll ask it anyway.

This morning, while reading people's hubs, I found one person had stated in his hub that companies were using comments to get their company an inbound link ... and he would delete those ... but would accept payment in exchange for a link in his hubs.  He then stated his rates.

Now, I don't have a problem with that at all.  In fact, I'd like to do something myself (where appropriate), but a bit less "in your face" maybe smile

So ... is it actually against hubpages' policy to do this?

I don't think it is.  I can't see anything wrong in what the guy's done.  So - are you aware of any policy which would directly prohibit doing this?

If there are no objections, I can think of about 2% of my hubs that this might be appropriate for.  I am talking a small paragraph, within a large/natural/proper article... I am not talking about blatant, in your face, dedicated advertising the hub for cash.

Anybody who does hub for cash, I'd appreciate a PM regarding how that's going for you ... because I'm sure you don't want to broadcast it here smile

Thanking you in anticipation of an interesting debate... and hopefully a definitive answer by the end.

All the best.

... over to you guys....

earnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just a quick "qualification"... say you'd written a very long hub all about knitting, and included in there some yarn suppliers.... if it would be acceptable at the end to say "If you're a yarn supplier and want to be included......it'll cost ya!"

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Google has made it plain that they dislike paid links.  However, "nofollow" links are fine.

I have no idea how HP feels, but you absolutely could do that on your own site with "nofollow".  I do a large Consultants List that way.  That happens to be free, but it could just as well be paid.

3. TerryGl profile image60
    TerryGlposted 6 years ago

You and me are on the same track. There is quite a movement going on and only a few here are taking advantage with it.

OK... that's blatant, so I'll take that as a "yes, it's OK".

4. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Ditto what PCUnix said. Google has made it very clear that paid links are fine AS LONG AS they are NoFollow and do not pass any PR.  Hubbers that engage in this practice may see short-term gain, but can hurt HP and the other hubbers in the long-term.

Here's the info directly from Google.

Google are really after people who pay outsourcers to put in 100 links/day every day ... for a month.  I am talking about the random odd one or two here or there, which is a different thing entirely.

1. pauldeeds profile image
        pauldeedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

From here you can see that AdSense publishers are required to adhere to the webmaster quality guidelines, which say: Don't participate in link schemes  designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank. On the link schemes page, one of the examples of a link scheme they provide is Buying or selling links that pass PageRank.

Based on this, I would say that selling the random odd one or two is a violation of the AdSense policy.  Whether you will be caught or not is another question, but I'd recommend against it.

Good spot!

5. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

When it comes to buying and selling links it is against the Google ToS, but the truth is pretty much everyone does something to inflate their ranking positions.

As to selling no-follow links, you have to ask yourself what the benefit would be of people buying them?

6. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

Given this thread, I just looking at one of my hubs that has a page one placement, and in some cases the first result on the page, for six variations of the search term on Google and also page one returns on Yahoo and Bing for half of the search terms.

Is this the type of hubs you would attempt to market?

And if I am interpreting this correctly, you are talking about outgoing links placed in the body of the article?