jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

hubpages locks up on me! - IE6 / XP

1. CarpetDiem profile image78
    CarpetDiemposted 8 years ago

This is driving me nuts. About 25% of the time when I open a new hubpage it locks up (loads a little and stops or doesn't load at all, and then will stop, and just goes white if I toggle to a different screen). I don't know if it matters, but I have Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP. I used to wait and close Explorer, but now I have figured out that if I right click multiple times for a while on the IE tab on the taskbar at the bottomof my screen, the page will eventually unlock and finish loading. I saw in the FAQ that hubpages should work with IE but is being designed around FireFox. It's on my list of things to do to change some day, but for now I have IE. This is the only website that does this to me. Any ideas?

2. 0
    simcoposted 8 years ago

Hi CarpetDiem,

I use windows xp all the time with no problems , however I am useing IE7 maybe that will make a difference to you.

3. CarpetDiem profile image78

hi Simco, thanks for the quick response. I plan to change to firefox one of these days, and don't want to bother "upgrading" to IE7. IE6 works fine for me (except for this) and I figure if it ain't broke...  I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and maybe its a setting?

4. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

In general IE6 should work on HubPages, but it is a very old browser that is not compliant with a lot of modern web standards (and is therefore a pain to write and test code for).  Microsoft hasn't updated it significantly since 2004.   They have been making a big push to get people to switch to IE7 recently.

As the share of people using IE6 continues to decline (currently at about 27% on HubPages and falling fast), we will worry less and less about working around it's peculiarities.  So, it probably is worth starting the switch to Firefox or upgrading to IE7 some time soon ...  I don't think you'll regret it.

5. CarpetDiem profile image78

If 27% of hubbers are still using IE6 like me, I'm wondering it anyone else has this problem and can suggest a fix. Hubpages still locks up on me during the page load about a third of the time, and I have to hit the left and right mouse keys on the box on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen many times to get it to unstick and finish loading the page. I know I should upgrade to IE7 or go to firefox, but I'm waiting until I get a new computer to do that (I find sometimes "upgrades" do more damage than good!)
    I thought it might be because I block cookies (except for hubpages), but I changed to allow all cookies (including 3rd party) and still get the lockups.  Any ideas?

1. CarpetDiem profile image78
      CarpetDiemposted 8 years ago in reply to this

bump again... anyone?

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
        Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Upgrade to IE7

6. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

Upgrade. Not all upgrades do more damage than good.