jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)

When Did This Happen? (Amazon Associates)

1. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I have to admit my mind has been less on statistical earnings tracking over the last month or so and more with teh development of my network.  However I was going through my amazon earnings last night and noticed a lot my electronics were being sold at 4% commission.  On closer examination this is now the official amazon cap of consumer electronics even on the performance plan.

I am pretty sure I used to get 6% on a lot of my electronics, I was just wondering how long this change had been in effect for!

I am also wondering how the hell they justify it since that catagory also has an actual value cap, meaning it is becoming increasingly more viable to create two amazon acconts, one for electronics, another for general sales.

2. lrohner profile image86
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Yup. I started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised when a $350 ipod sale only netted me $14.

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

You can find questions in Amazon's forums that reference the 4% electronics commission cap that are now 30 months old.  That's from before you ever started at HubPages, thisisoli...

http://askville.amazon.com/Amazon-Assoc … Id=8040097

1. thisisoli profile image73
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hehe but a long time after I started earning on Amazon!

4. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

I thought it was always 4% under the performance schedule..

5. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 6 years ago

You'd really have to get a ton of purchasers for anything that offers less than 10% commission, especially since most of the items at Amazon are under $100.  At 4%, this is just "nickels and dimes", and doesn't get you very far.  I wouldn't rely on Amazon for any kind of income.

6. thisisoli profile image73

I guess it has always been 4%

Timorous, pretty much any compensation scheme that offers real products will give you less than 10% commission. Digital products are often offered at anything up to 75%, but at the same time there is much more competition for a much much lower number of possible sales.

7. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

There is a very clever way around thos problem oli.
    And that is to try and find your items in other categories,
    Including in fact the 'other' category. Many third
    Party retailers will list their products in multiple
    Categories in order to try and sell more items,
    Especially smaller items such as headphones, leads,
    Etc etc. Let's just say that I managed to get 6.5
    Percent on some of my electronics sales last month wink
    Sorry about the strange reply, I'm attempting to
    Reply on a phone which does not appear to be hubpages

1. jaymelee23 profile image65
      jaymelee23posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Those are good tips, Ryan. Thanks for the share.

2. thisisoli profile image73
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ahhh clever!! Might have to look in to this, could pay off for me!

8. liljen23 profile image72
    liljen23posted 6 years ago

I'm under the 4% rate under Performance, but I think it starts over each month I believe because I sold a few items and it started me back over at 4% and I know I should have been at 6%. I may be wrong.. I will say I will be at 6% the way things are turning out for me with sales.. smile

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It resets itself each month yes.

But that would not be Oli's problem, I suspect that he comfortably achieves 7% on a monthly basis...

Electronics are capped at 4% no matter what threshold you reach.

1. liljen23 profile image72
        liljen23posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for clarifying Ryan. You would think Electronics would be at a higher percentage because most of the products are very expensive..

9. yenajeon profile image83
    yenajeonposted 6 years ago

I think because electronics are expensive they have a lower percentage!

10. thisisoli profile image73

More expensive, but lower margins maybe?

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Damn, beat me to the margin bit wink

11. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

They are just the easiest thing to sell, consumer electronics are a big market. In addition, most electronics actually have a very low mark-up for retailers. Especially things like game consoles and mobile phones, where the real money is in the games themselves and mobile phone contracts/credit top ups.