jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How outsourcing content works...

1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I've been hearing a lot about buying and selling content online lately. I don't see myself going that way anytime soon, but I do have a question about how it works:

If I buy an article that's been pre-written, and is being displayed on a content website, wouldn't I be flagged by google as using duplicate content?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes - sort of. Easy way to deal with it is to only buy unique content, written for you.

2. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Most content websites have varying licensing purchase options (unique) and do not actually have the full text of the article indexable.

Just because you can read it, doesnt mean google can

1. Social Discomfort profile image59
        Social Discomfortposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Excellent point.  Thank you. 

But if you can read it, doesn't that mean that someone else can rip it off, too?

2. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

WryLit, there are companies/sites that hire writers to write what they want for their website (as you know).  The writer (I've done this) gets the assignment, a price is agreed upon, and the deal is often that there's no byline.  The writer has no rights to the article.  So, if "Susie's Nail Salon" posts an article Mary was hired to write, Susie's Nail Salon site is what gets the ads.  People hire writers from anything like $10 (maybe even 5) for a short article.  I've sold "ready-written" stock stuff on, for example, Helium.  Sometimes the deal was that I wasn't paid much but could leave the article for future licensing.  Other times, I was asked to "sign" that I didn't have the article anywhere else and sign away all rights to it.

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

Ok thank you everyone, that makes more sense now... smile