How effective is forum posting?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. experimenter profile image60
    experimenterposted 13 years ago

I have a list of more than 100 (106 to be exact) do follow forums, I'm just wondering if it's really effective before I register in all of them, signing up with 106 websites isn't a joke, it's time consuming so I'm just wondering if anyone here have tried it before, and what's the result??  thanks!!

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

send me the list - ill pay someone to register and post at all of them - then tell you how long it took and whether it worked for me.

I have an outsourcer working on a similar project presently

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto. Send me the list - I will have them done by the end of the week and let you know if they are worth the trouble in a month or so.

2. profile image55
      bigphil22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you refering to getting backlinks from forum profiles?
      If so it is effective but you need to do the forums with high pr. If you Google the name "Angela", the first or second link will take you to her page where she claims to have gotten high rankings solely through profile forums.

1. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It might have worked for her, but at the same time she probably spent 5 times the amount of time and effort that she needed to by using similar techniques.

I occasionally post in forums, but it is as much for traffic than a backlinks. Most forum threads you post in do remain PR0 or N/A, the root domains PR is irrelevant.

3. Brie Hoffman profile image59
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let me know when you find out.

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

It depends on the subject of the forum and it's popularity..

The backlinks will be worth little if the forum subject is different from the site you place the backlink for..

I use a couple for one of my blogs and it regularly adds a few hundred views, but they don't convert, I use only really for the backlink.

1. experimenter profile image60
      experimenterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks man, I'm just really after the linkjuice to improve my rankings for the keyword. They're pretty high, they're all Pr 5-8 smile

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The site PR is 5-8 - the threads and profiles you drop links in are Pr0 and n/a (for the most part) - PR is per page

3. Csjun89 profile image60
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

Outsource it big_smile

Usually you count on the profile links

4. gracenotes profile image91
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Yes, they do help for backlinking purposes.  The process can help increase your PageRank.

But, to evaluate them properly, you really need follow-up beyond a month.

I've noted, going back to those same sites 2 or 3 months later, that I can no longer log in, or my profile was removed.  This will happen to a certain percentage of them.  Some forums have super-vigilant webmasters and some do not. What can happen over time is not always obvious at first glance.

I'd be cautious about putting more than 2 links in any signature, bio, or profile, even if you're tempted and they fit well.  That's what can get your profile removed.  I learned the hard way.

It is hard to increase your PR with forums, check your profile page, check the threads you post on, check what the PR of each of these pages is.  a 0pr or N/A pr page is not going to do you much good in terms of increasing your own page rank.

1. gracenotes profile image91
        gracenotesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, all of my sites were PR6 or higher.

As I built them up, it did help, but it takes time.  I gave preference to a particular URL (as a test), and after about a month, it moved up in the SERPS.  You have to decide what you will promote and how much.

5. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 13 years ago

I think forum links are only going to be useful in getting a page noticed in the first place or something like that. For a keyword with any real competition it's not worth the money / effort.

6. lender3212000 profile image58
    lender3212000posted 13 years ago

Be careful with doing a ton of these because Google does not like to see links "lost". If you have 25 forum profile links and 12 of them are later removed due to inactivity, you will start to draw the wrong kind of attention to your links. It's better to maintain 5 or 6 in forums you actually participate in and make valuable contributions. You will get more link juice and you are doing something other than just creating more web junk.

1. Daisydot profile image59
      Daisydotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know about the "lost" thing.

I simply thought they counted the links to you that were indexed, and ignored the spammier ones (so no negative penalty, just an ignore, which is neutral).

I was under the impression that they didn't have any negative penalties at all. Do you have any evidence that losing links/having them taken down causes a penalty?

2. gracenotes profile image91
      gracenotesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't aware of what would happen with Google, if some of the links are lost due to being banned or just simply from being stripped out of a profile.  I'll have to do more research about this.  I would think the only penalty would be taking a few steps back, e.g. losing some of your position in the SERPS.

Yes, in going back to check my work, more were lost than I would have figured.  On the other hand, I haven't done "a ton" of anything yet, so for statistical purposes, my sample is not very big.

7. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

It'll be pretty effective, I get a lot of traffic from forums.

8. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Who cares how effective it is.  It's a blast spouting off!  lol

9. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

I'd never thought of joining forums just to create a profile - although I've done it a few times by accident, mainly because I joined up before realizing the forum was cr@p!

I get quite a lot of "real" traffic from a couple of forums, plus I've made some useful contacts.  I think if you have a niche subject and can find a forum that's directly relevant, that can be useful.

1. harrist profile image59
      harristposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if your do follow list have PR 6 I'll bet someone in freelance willing to buy your list , cause some SEO company always begging that list I.e your list, but if your do follow only have pr 3 or 2 just throw to the garbage cause you need 1000 just for getting juicy pagerank and achieve pr 4 for your own websites :-) ,

10. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Just to clarify on the whole forum value thing going on here, If you check paid backlinking services, you can buy like a thousand forum profile with 10 posts each or something for $9.99.

However normal backlinks come in at around $20 for 10.

11. RedCouchReview profile image60
    RedCouchReviewposted 13 years ago

I started posting on forums. I can't wait to see the effect it is going to have on my website.

Don't expect too much!

12. neenasatine profile image57
    neenasatineposted 6 years ago

It could be effective in the forums have high Page Ranking

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is a six year old thread. We don't need to have these old discussions resuscitated. Better to start a new one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)