jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (31 posts)

WIll RSS Feeds in hubs help get hubs indexed on Google

1. Dobson profile image82
    Dobsonposted 6 years ago

I am wondering about a new strategy i am trying. What I am doing is putting an RSS Feed into my best performing (Viewed) hubs with my latest (not indexed by Google) yet hubs. IS this a good way to have them "crawled"? Or is it better to add links instead so each hub stands alone?

1. bileygur profile image60
      bileygurposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As far as I know, RSS feed will not improve your indexing.  I would do like has already been suggested just to add static links.  Of course that is more work than just adding a RSS feed.

Any way if it works keep us posted smile

1. SubmissionWork profile image61
        SubmissionWorkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

For indexing your hub I think social bookmarking is the best way to do it.

Cost effective and you will be able to see the result immediately.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I think it's best to set up specific topic RSS feeds. Not a whole lot of point doing ones that say "Latest hub: Car engines" on a hub about Flowers for instance.

Anyway I've never had a problem getting hubs indexed. I usually tweet them straight away though and if they're lagging behind on indexing I'll use pingler (which is free.)

Most of my hubs are indexed in 2-24 hours.

1. Dobson profile image82
      Dobsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Do you attribute this to your wide following on twitter or just to the quality of your tags? My tag selection has gotten much better, but I want to be as good as possible about reducing my time to get indexed.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have 22 followers on twitter so it's not that.

However I've read that google likes the ever changing quality of twitter even though it is no follow.

Also if you use channels such as #fixing #cars lots of people can view your tweets and often either visit or link to them which helps.

1. thisisoli profile image55
          thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Google does not crawl or index No Follow links, they are basically invisible to their algorythm. Using twitter can get you traffic, but has only minor indirect SEO benefit unless you have thousands of followers who might be inclined to link to your work after reading it.

2. Pcunix profile image88
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I see my pages from my main site get indexed  even without announcing them anywhere.

I do maintain Google etc. sitemaps and have RSS  feeds and several thousand subscribers,  but sometimes it happens much too quickly to think that would be it. 

It may just be that having Analytics or Adsense is enough to trigger indexing.

1. sunforged profile image66
        sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When you say things like that you should preface the statement (the several thousand subscribers part is a hint..but could be missed) by pointing out your main site is

PR5
        13 years old
        has over 50k pages
        and at least 12k backlinks including links from matt Cutts Blog, ProBlogger and CopyBlogger (and thats just a quick glance)

Your experience is in no way comparable to the experience of a relatively new Hubpage writer

although HubPages will just get indexed anyway - rss feeds are not necessary in the application that is suggested here

"Can I drive from here to Mexico in an hour" (Says Man in pinto)

PCUnix: "Sure, i can do it in my Ferrari in 20 minutes)" except you neglect to mention the ferrari

1. Pcunix profile image88

True, Google likes what it already likes and gives special treatment.  Still, it must be the Adsense because it can happen almost instantky.

2. Pcunix profile image88

And perhaps more relevant: If I am a Ferrari, HP is a rocket powered dragster.

1. sunforged profile image66
            sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is true, my latest hub was indexed in under 30 minutes. (Perhaps sooner..just happened to be looking at that time)

I am surprised it took that long.  I have seen it in literally minutes, which is why I suspect a tie to Analytics and/or Adsense.

3. girly_girl09 profile image77
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

Interlinking between *relevant* hubs can do wonders for SEO and always increases traffic. Once you get someone from Google to your hub, why not tempt them to stick around on your pages longer by offering more relevant content?

I used to obsess over what was indexed and what wasn't, but eventually, as long as there is no duplicate content and proper SEO is utilized, all hubs should index. They may index and de-index on occasion, but it seems that Google gives them all a chance. If you write about high-paying and highly competitive topics, I find that those will naturally take a bit longer to index. HP is a major authority site and Google is constantly crawling it! big_smile

So, for strategy, just stick to good SEO methods and try writing about less competitive topics. Link relevant topics together to get more views on related topics. You should be indexed and ranking well in no time.

...and check out this hub on custom RSS feeds.

http://hubpages.com/t/1441ab

4. BRIAN SLATER profile image86
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

Edweirdo has a great hub on Rss feeds and contains ways to promote poor performing hubs.

I've linked to that above. smile

1. Aiden Roberts profile image88
        Aiden Robertsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks WryLilt great link:)

2. Dobson profile image82
      Dobsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, he does. I have used his advice to create custom RSS Feeds, which have definitely paid dividends!

5. sunforged profile image66
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Google may not love twitter directly (thats debatable)

But, dozens if not hundreds of sites exist that do little more then grab keyword targetted tweets and post them on their own sites.

So one tweet can be republished automatically a hundred times at other locations (that may or may not be dofollow)

For this specific reason i avoid using short urls when publishing to Twitter (such as the ones created by the HP feature)

This option (republishing related tweets) is also a wordpress plug in that is picking up popularity, so the link spreading opportunity of posting to twitter (even without a massive following) is growing.

Using hashtags is very helpful, but I tend to get lazy about it and still see some natural link sharing as a result of twitter posts

6. thisisoli profile image55
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

A sitemap is a sure fire way to get your fresh content indexed in under 6 hours.

1. girly_girl09 profile image77
      girly_girl09posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't have any sitemaps (I don't think I do? lol) and new blog posts index almost instantaneously. It's PR 0 and about one year old. I'm not complaining! big_smile

7. thisisoli profile image55
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I should probably clarify this, If a sitemap is submitted to Google Webmaster Tools it is checked for updates once every 6 hours, at least it was 6 hours last time I read an update from Google on it.

A site map lists all your pages, if a new page appears on a sitemap, it will be crawled.  If the expiry date on a page on your sitemap passes, it will be crawled again.

If you have a site map and Google knows about it, then your content will be easily found by Google.

8. Dobson profile image82
    Dobsonposted 6 years ago

Oaky, so now you must explain the Site Map. What is it and how do you get it or create it?

It is an XML file.  Google et al. have full documentation and code.

Are you running your own site?  It is usually only people like me who write our own Content Management Systems that need to know stuff like that.   If you are using a CMS, it probably takes care of these for you.

If not, a good place to start is Wikipedia's entry.

9. Richieb799 profile image62
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

You could add news feeds which is another alternative way of keeping your page active and therefore recognized by Google.

10. kubth profile image75
    kubthposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the Hub about Custom RSS feeds, great help.

Something that I'm not sure has been mentioned here are feed aggregation services.

You can consolidate feeds from HubPages, your blogs, social bookmarking sites and more, creating a single feed which contains updates from all of it's contributing feeds.

Many of the generated feed URLs then get indexed by the search engines themselves, and show up as backlinks in Yahoo's site explorer. They can also help to get new content indexed faster, new social bookmarks found quicker, and can be optimised like other RSS feeds.

http://feedstitch.com/ is one site which does the job, and also creates a web page for your feeds, for which you can also build links and pagerank.

11. brettb profile image71
    brettbposted 6 years ago

Custom feeds are great. I've just joined an RSS link exchange with a very popular niche site.

Unfortunately the hub god told me off for setting my commercial settings to medium, it seems that RSS feeds count as external links. Never mind that it's a mutually beneficial arrangement for hubpages.

12. tritrain profile image75
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

No.

RSS feeds on a web page will not be of value to the search engine.  It will not help you get indexed.

The Google bot is becoming better at crawling javascript, however it does not likely crawl RSS feeds.

However, submitting your feed can help you get traffic from feed directories and listings or from sites that are displaying your feed.

13. HC0303 profile image60
    HC0303posted 6 years ago

I am very new at hubbing but could someone advise me this. I thought you need a hubscore of at least 75 before the "dofollow" gets turned on for your hub. So does it mean any indexing will not take place before this score is reached?

1. tritrain profile image75
      tritrainposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe it's 70.

working