jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Earthquake Article

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

Hi, folks!

Since I first wrote this particular article, I've learned a whole lot about using capsules, photos, links, captions, sidebars, tag types, etc.

I've re-edited the entire hub, and I wonder what you think of it?  (Especially anyone who may have happened to read it in its first incarnation, when it was just one undifferentiated block of text with no photos.)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Earthquakes … errify-You

Thanks!

2. SteveoMc profile image91
    SteveoMcposted 6 years ago

The writing, presentation, use of capsules are all great.  A really good hub that is easy to read and very informative.

The only question I have is regarding keywords and tags.   If you have identified keywords, they should be reflected in the tags.  Your hub titles should relate to the keywords and tags. 

I am no expert on the subject,  I am just learning about it myself.  But I think that the prevailing thought is that the keywords and tags should reflect capsule titles.

DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, SteveoMc--that's still an area of confusion for me...tags vs. keywords.  I've previously seen the terms used rather interchangably, and I'm not sure of the difference or how to fix that.

I'll look into it further.

1. alternate poet profile image77
        alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am still learning so treat anything I say with a litle salt.  But I think that the keywords, tag words are found and used better if they are in some kind of heading, and the capsule title is a heading ??   Someone may correct me if I am wrong smile

Thank you--that's what I thought, as well, and I **think** I have tagged the article with capsule headers...but I will double check on that.

Appreciate the input, alternat poet!  Cheers!

1. alternate poet profile image77
            alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You are welcome MsLizzie, all this stuff is really hard work innit !!  big_smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Keywords are words you think people are likely to search for in Google to find your Hub.  In normal writing we're taught not to repeat words but to find synonyms instead - on the internet, that's not such a good idea.  Google uses automated robots to work out what your Hub is about, and will take repetition of words as an indicator.

So for this Hub, you'd want to ensure the word "earthquake" occurs in your URL, titles and occasionally in your text, so it's bleeding obvious to Google what your Hub is about!

As for tags - on HubPages, they are what determines whether you appear in the "Related Hubs" section, or whether your Hub is found when people search for a particular subject.  So in that sense, they're not that different from keywords. They are, basically, words that tell HubPages what your Hub is about.

The tag suggestion tool often suggests silly words, simply because you've repeated them in your text. Ignore them (and delete them if you've added them)!  For instance, I notice you've included the word "understanding" as a tag.  That has no bearing on the subject of your Hub so it has no place as a tag.

Hope that helped.

wow--"understanding" as a stand-alone tag??  Hmmm... not sure how that happened.  It's certainly not a word I would have selected as a tag.  Maybe it was under those 'suggested' tags, and got in by a slip of the mouse???

I'll take care of that, for sure!  Thanks for pointing that out!

(I **think** I have the word 'earthquake' or 'earthquakes' appearing a few times in the hub...will double-check)

Thanks, Marisa, for the info!

3. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

That's a awesome article! smile I agree about your tags. Take a look around HP at other hubs and compare tags to get a idea of how best to set yours. A video showing your waves or something related would be excellent too. Fantastic job! smile

Thank you very much!  I'm glad you enjoyed the article.

I will do some more homework on tags.  I had thought I had them set pretty well...but there's always room for improvement, I suppose. wink

As far as video--I really  don't have a clue.  I'm not at all technically inclined, and am having a huge struggle just getting edited video to play on a normal DVD player instead of only on my own computer!  (Still haven't figured that one out!)

I had problems trying to upload to YouTube, as well.  I'm from old-school VHS tape editing.  It was much more straightforward and less technical in some respects.  LOL

There were a couple of animations, and those references are where I put the outbound links to USGS.  I have no clue how to bring those images into my hub--in fact--they are probably copy-protected, so a link was the best I could do.

I really appreciate your input, and will certainly do more research on tags (although I still don't see much difference between tags and keywords.)

Cheers!

4. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

Youtube has a button 'embed' which highlights and copies the code for their video, then, at your hub, while in edit mode, paste the code into the 'video' capsule and preview, save. big_smile I'm not sure about uploading my own video on youtube yet either wink don't feel too badly. smile

Ok, I'll look around YouTube & see what I can come up with.  I trust that 'embedding' the video does not constitute a copyright violation??

Thanks for the explanation.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

On Youtube, the poster has the ability to disable the embedding function if they wish.  Therefore if the function is working, you can safely assume the poster has no objection.

oic..thank you!
          ;-)

working