jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Livestrong.com DMCA??

1. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

I e-mailed them a DMCA notice last week to the address on their website (copyright@livestrong) or something like that. Haven't heard back and my dup content is still posted. grrr

Anyone had any troubles with this website before? I'm pretty surprised as most sites remove the content with 72 hours and Livestrong is a major site!

1. thooghun profile image87
      thooghunposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I feel your pain girly_girl, it happens quite a bit, and I'm quite close to giving up chasing ghosts and statues. The only defense I have is putting some links to my own content in the article because occasionally they'll scrape those too.

2. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You could probably use this to your advantage.

Seven times Tour De France winner Lance Armstrong, who has previously courted controversy in the sport, has lowered himself to stealing the content of small time publishers for his own website.

That makes some story!

I guarentee that writing a hub about the experience and getting it to the first page of Google will soon see a grovelling apology from his PR team and a sackload of signed goodies!

EDIT: Actually don't, it may get Ironhner in trouble, ooopss smile

1. lrohner profile image85
        lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL! No worries. I think it would be hilarious!

2. girly_girl09 profile image80
        girly_girl09posted 6 years ago in reply to this

ahhaha too funny!

Lrohner - thanks so much! I will message you the info later tonight (I need to get off here asap and go study for a final exam I have tonight!). It is a recipe, which typically wouldn't have copyright protection, but she also copied my "notes and variations" sections, word for word.

2. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

I've never had anyone scrape my links; they always edit those out. LOL big_smile

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Hi GG,
    That sucks. I am registered with them as a writer but have yet to do any work there.
    The "writer" who stole your work should be banned. Any way to make direct contact with him or her?
    Just talking off the top of my head.
    Good luck.

1. girly_girl09 profile image80
      girly_girl09posted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's a good idea. I could sign-up and message her. She may not realize what she did. What happened was, she took my recipe (which ingreidents, of course, can't be copyrighted), BUT she also copied my notes, variations and procedures verbatim, which isn't ok.

4. shazwellyn profile image86
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

This really is a problem, isnt it?  How do you guys actually find out that your content has been duplicated in the first place?

5. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

GirlyGirl--More than half of my writing is for LS. Email me the details and let me see what I can do. I'll get in touch with the LS editor.

Edited to add: I'm really surprised if the LS content went through Demand Media, as they have a very, very sensitive plag checker that all of our work goes through.

6. GarfieldGates profile image85
    GarfieldGatesposted 6 years ago

You may also consider taking it up with Demand Media - the content sourcers behind Livestrong.com (and other popular websites like eHow, etc.)

7. jaymelee23 profile image67
    jaymelee23posted 6 years ago

Girly, I write for Demand Media who owns livestrong. You  can e-mail them at: copyright@demandmedia.com. That's the department that handles copy infringement. Here's the link to copyright infringement info from Demand Media, it's under section 9: http://www.demandmedia.com/terms-of-use/ They list what to include in an e-mail to make a complaint. There is also a mailing address there to send to their legal department if you wish to do so. I think an e-mail to that above address will take care of it though.