jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

How can a non-hubber leave comments on friends' hubs?

1. JamaGenee profile image87
    JamaGeneeposted 8 years ago

An articulate elderly friend who has no interest in creating hubs...yet!...would like to leave comments on the hubs of friends who do hub.  How can she do this?  Am I right in assuming she'll have to sign up same as a "real" hubber and then just lurk?

2. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Anybody can comment, there is no need to sign up for that. Just do it! smile

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

It's not always true that anyone can comment.

If the hub author has the comment capsule set so that anyone can comment, then Misha's statement would hold true.  However, it is possible to set comments so that only registered users can do so, and for heavily spammed lenses or instances where commenters have been rude or off-topic, it's sometimes a good idea to restrict commenting to sign-ups only.  (that's what lets you use the spam reporting feature)

So, depending on the hub author and their preferences, your elderly friend may have to sign up to comment or not.  And you can't tell until you try and leave a comment.

4. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Oops, I stand corrected :blush:

Since comments on all my lenses (ha!) are not restricted, I just forgot about this, sorry. smile

5. JamaGenee profile image87
    JamaGeneeposted 8 years ago

Thanks all!  I certainly don't want to leave any hub "open" to spammers, so my friend will just have to sign up and be a lurker...well, until she too gets the hubbing bug! smile

1. robie2 profile image91
      robie2posted 8 years ago in reply to this

Have her sign up from your profile page so you get credit for her sign up--who knows, she might turn out to be a super hubber and that would be a few $$$ for you smile

JamaGeneeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Great tip, Robie!  Thanks!

1. Whitney05 profile image68
          Whitney05posted 8 years ago in reply to this

It's not from your profile page but from one of your URL trackers.

6. Lissie profile image86
    Lissieposted 8 years ago

The spammers are not much of a big deal here - instead of making it difficult for your friend just change your comment settings to moderate so that any comment is approved by u before appearing - even that is over kill for the topic area your hubs are in

7. Veronica profile image90
    Veronicaposted 8 years ago

I agree with Lissie, spammers really aren't that big of a deal here. I set all my hubs like Misha does, anyone can comment. I'd say less than 1 out of 20 comments for me comes from a spammer. Hubpages flags a lot of the spam and the few that get through I deny and flag. It's really not a big deal. I agree with Lissie, I don't want to make it difficult or inconvenient for people to comment on my hubs.

JamaGeneeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Lissie and Veronica, thanks for the heads up.  Sooo...I'll change the settings so anyone can comment AND have my friend sign up from my profile! cool

8. Andrew0208 profile image61
    Andrew0208posted 8 years ago

I observed one, denied him/her and made a followup warning comment against his comments and scamming link on one of my hubs. I also observed some of his/her comments on some other hubs of fellow hubbers. Thank you Lissie and Robie!