jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)

Responding to comments

1. Tiny Pearls profile image78
    Tiny Pearlsposted 6 years ago

I seem to recall that authors should not visit their own pages (maybe its an adsense thing?) so I wanted to find out if there is a "correct" way to respond to comments on our own hubs.  Should we just click on them at the initial login page or go into "my account" or is there another way? 

Also, if we do any of these, does our own visit get counted in the statistics?

Thanks in advance!

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

You can certainly visit your own hubs, as long as you do not click on your own ads. These visits will be counted as pageviews.

You can see all of your hubs by clicking on the "my account" tab.

A different way to respond to comments is via the Feed, also available from the toolbar when logged in.

1. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's what I do click on the my account tab and then click on the comments button which shows all of the comments you've received and then you click on the hub title which the comments are under which then takes you to that page and section where the comments are and you leave your response in the reply box, you can edit it after you submit it for about five minutes I think... Best Wishes and Much Success Tiny Pearls.

Oh and do remember to approve the comments others have left and if spam you will want to delete them not responding.  big_smile

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Good points, Katie. To add to the full picture, when going to "www.hubpages.com" while logged in, you will see notification of any new comments. From there you can read and moderate the comments you have received, if you like.

Oh yes that as well... oh the little things we forget that still have others scratching their heads...

Hi Website Examiner smile

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hello Katie, good to see you - energetic as ever.

4. Tiny Pearls profile image78
    Tiny Pearlsposted 6 years ago

Thank you Katie and Examiner, I appreciate the help very much!

Your Welcome!

5. Kidgas profile image78
    Kidgasposted 6 years ago

It's good to respond to comments since it helps develop relationships with your readers who may end up following you or linking to your work.

6. ahorseback profile image46
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Oh man, great question , I wondered this myself.....

7. Randy Godwin profile image93
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

I figure the comments themselves are also being crawled by bots for relevant keywords.  Sort of like an extension of my hub!

1. alternate poet profile image77
      alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I guess this is right - do the bots also consider a 'follower' a link or a reflection on the hub I wonder ?

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
        Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have no idea about those things, but I have run across article comments while doing searches!

2. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not only do they crawl for relevant keywords but comments also appear as fresh content to google (which is good!)

The keyword factor is also a reason I don't always approve comments like "Thanks, great hub" or off topic comments.

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
        Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I always try to use related keywords when answering questions on my repair hubs.  I'm not sure how effective this is, but it certainly does no harm!

3. Haunty profile image85
      Hauntyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

For one of my latest hubs the first Google visitor was searching for a keyword that wasn't even in the hub, but in a comment. Thank you, Cindyvine. smile

8. nicregi profile image64
    nicregiposted 6 years ago

You can always visit your own hub. Responding to comments are great since you can communicate with the person and thank them for your comment.

Make a healthy hub smile

9. charlottelacar profile image59
    charlottelacarposted 6 years ago

As a beginner, I could really say that responding of the author to the comments posted helps a lot. It's a sort of encouragement, because if the author would just disregard or somewhat reject your comment and not even pay attention..it's definitely a turning down.

1. nicregi profile image64
      nicregiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

very true charlottelacar!

However, I read it somewhere on the web that you can just approve possitive comments to increase and boost your article. At the same time, making yourself better and improve on the comments.

How about the negative ones? Do not reject it immediately. Use it as a guidance for getting better! Don't get demotivated by people's comments as some (not all) are trying to help smile

1. charlottelacar profile image59
        charlottelacarposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes nicregi..getting bad comments is not that bad at all. It would be a guide for the author to become a better writer and a booster to strive hard for the improvement. As a matter of fact I have been criticized for my grammatical errors in my hub. I admit I am not that good in english in the sense that english is not a primary language here but I don't see it as a demotivation. Instead, I was so happy to have receive an honest comment like that. wink

10. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Haven't we met before? hmm

I'm sure I visited your oyster a few years ago?

Nice to see you again Tiny Pearls... smile

1. Tiny Pearls profile image78
      Tiny Pearlsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol

11. profile image0
    ankigarg87posted 6 years ago

We can post comments only if we are login. Response can be given by sending the message o whom we want to give response

If i am not wrong, you can set the comment capsule if people can post even without login. Might be wrong but I remember I saw that option @_@

*just adding smile

1. Pcunix profile image87
        Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think so too - because I have comments from people who are not members.  I do not recall setting anything, though.  Maybe it is the default?  I can't go look now (using my iPad, which cannot edit a hub).

What? You got an iPad? I am jealous smile

Just checked. Yes there's an option if you edit the hub for comments smile

Noticed it when I found people who are 'not really' registered writing comment on my hubs smile

12. Pcunix profile image87
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Yes, I have had it a few months.  But you cannot use it to post/edit hubs. :-(

Comments, forum posts, no problem.  But not hubs.

1. sofs profile image86
      sofsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes responding actually may start up a easy trend of communicating with your readers. It is sometimes a good idea starter, its easy to strike up friendship that way, i have one person who visits and comments on my hubs and I value it a lot.

Nice one sofs smile

Very true. There was once this person added me an we start communicating and helping each others out in exchanging ideas for writing! Definitely a good move for starters smile

I wished I had an iPad too sad However got to save up money since I want o buy nw iPhone 4. In my country, iPhone cost quite high!

I wonder why iPad couldn't post or edit hub. Weird isn't it?

working