How does google view duplicate content?

1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

From what I've read here at the HP forums I was always under the impression that google will automatically rank the oldest content first, in the case of duplication. However I read this: … &hl=en

Which is rather long winded but here's one quote:

"Google has no way of determining who is copying from whom.  All google sees is multiple pages containing the same information.  And searchers don't want search results filled with identical pages.  So Google picks the best page and returns that to searchers and the rest of the copies are filtered further down in the SERPs."

The site on the OP's post was basically the manufacturer of a product and other sites were copying product descriptions and ranking higher.

So... how worried should we be about duplicate content 1. On our own sites (which may rank lower) and 2. On hubpages.

Not really worried from a personal perspective (yet) but would be interested to see what more pro hubbers/SEO knowledgeable people have to say on the topic.

1. darkside profile image85
      darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Except for the fact that they'd know which one was indexed first.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

IMHO, the biggest problem with duplicate content is that basically, the person with the best SEO wins--whether it's their content or not. I know many folks who have had stolen content rank higher than their own. In some cases, that's how they found out that it was stolen.