The strangest thing that has happened to you in the past 24 hours

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Yesterday evening, when we walked outside to the car, I could smell a skunk.  In my front yard!  I've never been that close to one before, as far as I know, other than roadkill.  A few hours later the smell had dissipated.

What's the oddest thing that has happened to you recently?

2. HalJordan profile image59
    HalJordanposted 13 years ago

I took my youngest son along with me to a mini-concert by Daniel Durst of the band Fiasco.  He played an acoustic set and my son and I both liked the guy.  It was nice because I am getting PAID to write about it and my son enjoyed it.
    Plus, I got him an autographed CD and my son likes the band's music AND I get paid to write a review of the CD as well.
    Wow!  A nice little silver-lining in the cloud of being otherwise unemployed.

Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very cool, very good. 

Will your reviews be published on HubPages? If so, I'll watch for them.  Silver linings do definitely help!

3. HalJordan profile image59
    HalJordanposted 13 years ago

I seriously doubt it as Hal Jordan is NOT the name under which i write elsewhere.
    I use Hal Jordan here because I like Green Lantern and had a chance to be in the movie BUT could not pay my agency dues so they didn't send me in for a final audition.
    Anyway, e-mail me if you really want to know about the Fiasco pieces and other music-related articles I write.
    Anyway, the strange thing to me is that my son and I BOTH liked the guy!

4. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Found a duckling outside by itself. The mother had either died or left him behind. I brought him in afraid that a cat would eat it or a car would run it over, and left to go to a party. When I came back the duckling was in bad shape. I tried to do all I could but he died. I am very sad right now.

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

sounds like frying time! smile

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He was so little!

6. Diane Inside profile image74
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

strangest thing for me is going to read some of these religious and political forums and found myself not caring to comment. It's just ridiculous people bickering like school children.

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ya hit the nail on the head there Diane!

7. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

It is 2:45 am, and I am up because our fire alarms went off, for no apparent reason.  This has happened before, but we replaced all of our alarms since then, trying to avoid this happening.

Why is it they only do this at night?  In the 4-7 times this has happened, over the years, it has always been some time after midnight yet, before 4 am.

1. Ohma profile image59
      Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this sounds like a humidity problem to me.

2. timorous profile image81
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Ivorwen; I've found many smoke alarms are quite often affected by increased humidity, causing false alarms.  If you left your windows open at night, this may also account for it...outside air is always more humid at night.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
        Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that info.  I did not know that humidity could affect them.  They did go off right before a storm hit.

I know that dust can also be a problem, and we did have wind yesterday.

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

spooks?

9. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Well this is crazy for me to comprehend but someone gave a friend of mine 200 dallars to give to me. He stated he had something come over him and that a family had just had a premature baby and the family could use the money. He said he didnt want me and my daughter to know who he was. WEIRD isnt it?????? The same day, which was yesterday, i won a 100 dallars on a 50/50 and had told my daughter i was going to win that after having to pay a few hundred to fix my car.

Sounds like you are being provided for.

10. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 13 years ago

I happened to look at my Amazon affiliates thingie, first time in about six months and saw to my shock I've had some sales.  I never have Amazon sales!  What's happening to me?  That was pretty strange.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

same thing here! I checked last night and was amazed that I will actually be receiving an August payout! [$31.00 currently]

and although not strange, I noticed on my hubtivity yesterday that I was celebrating one year at Hubpages! It has gone by fast. xo

11. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I had my avatar  line up with an ad on HubPages in an odd way.
    (Wish they would have put the "after" up on top.)

[img]users/rochellefrank/Desktop/hubad.jpg[/img]

oops--did something wrong on the code.. help!

1. timorous profile image81

I think you left out the first part of the address: http://www.  etc.

Right-click on the image you want to show, and select 'Copy Image Location'.  Then paste that address in between the [img] tags.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

http://www.hubpages.com/Users/rochellefrank/Desktop/hubad.jpg

12. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

NOTHING has happened in the past 24 hours - that's what is so strange!   

but I do have a 100 score again!  (huge applause)  let's see how long it lasts this time!  Have a marvelous Sunday, people!

13. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Still missing the www part Rochelle, but I think you're almost there.

14. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Grrr.... o well.

timorousposted 13 years ago

Hey Rochelle;  hubpages doesn't use the www.
      Which hub is this on, and which image?  Just the name will do.  No need to link.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's gone from the hub-- I have a screenshot.

2. Aficionada profile image79

So.... around and about this time last night, getting ready to close up shop, I started noticing another odd odor.  It was one of those smells that remind me of an electrical motor that's getting ready to burn up.

No electrical motors were anywhere nearby.  But.... the computer tower!!  Oh, no, it couldn't be!  I stuck my face close to it to check it out, and the smell was certainly stronger up next to it.  I hurriedly turned off the computer and started looking around for some fire-fighting equipment, because the desk and floor around the tower are pretty well cluttered with papers and books.  Then I felt the tower, and I couldn't find any spot that seemed warmer than usual; if anything, the reverse.  Could that be a problem - being too cool?

Upstairs I asked my husband if he had noticed anything and he went around the main floor then on the back porch to try to locate it.  No luck.  I made the rounds one more time, down to the computer, all around the basement, upstairs and all around.  I decided to check outside in the front yard, to see if a neighbor had had some car trouble or something like that. I stepped on the front porch....

SKUNKED AGAIN!!

It was definitely that skunk once again, and I'm grateful that he or she hadn't really sprayed, but evidently merely waltzed through our yard.  What is that critter doing in a highly populated neighborhood in the middle of a bunch of other well-populated neighborhoods - and what are we gonna do, if he or she feels threatened?????  I'm not very happy about the prospect.

Looking for food, same as raccoons.  Since there's less to eat in their natural habitat (forest etc.), they know they'll find it in your garbage.  The trick is not to put out your garbage at the curb until the last minute (first thing in the morning instead of the night before).
        Stop giving them a reason to hang around and they'll go elsewhere.

Skunks usually eat things like mice and beetles. 

I think it is the time of year when the young skunks are looking for homes of their own.  I saw a skunk in the neighbor's yard yesterday morning.   It was just sniffing around in the bushes.  It is the third skunk we have seen recently. 

Skunks often are not intimidated by people, unless they recognize them as an enemy.  I remember petting one, as a child, that was eating out of our cat food pan.  It was young, soft, and didn't smell.

3. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years ago

while unrolling my pool cover for winter I discovered ants nesting in it. thousands carrying eggs fleeing from my presence. Gave me a chill. big_smile

4. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i almost had an Adsense click

lol  lol  lol

G.O., G.O., G.O.,  ROFLLLLL

lol  lol  lol

1. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i felt it.. someone was going to click...
          but then they realized they didn't want to talk to a single woman on a chatline

sad

2. tom hellert profile image60
        tom hellertposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Greek one-
        LOLMAO
        good one
        TH

5. PegCole17 profile image95
      PegCole17posted 13 years ago

The temperature dropped from 107 to 80 degrees. We're delighted and hope maybe the 26 days we've had of 100 plus degree weather might be over. whew!

6. Aficionada profile image79

It's happening again.... And I can hardly breathe......

Yuck.  Ugghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing strange has happened to me whatsoever in the last few days; but here's something strange:  I've never been able to smell "skunk".   I can smell everything else, so my nose works OK.  I have some kind of "nose immunity" to "skunk".  For my whole life, I've never smelled it whenever anyone else says, "Skunk!!"

I was once walking at night and saw some big animal not far from me.  I was trying to see what it was when I saw it was a skunk, and it suddenly started making it's "chittering" noise and looking like it was spraying (but not in my direction).  Still, I didn't have a clue about whether the skunk actually sprayed or not, so I had to ask my son if he thought I'd been sprayed.  roll  (He said I hadn't.  I just hope he didn't inherit the same "nose/skunk immunity" I have.   lol    He claims he has smelled "skunk" in the past, though.)  "God works in mysterious ways," (doesn't He?)

That is indeed bizarre!  Wow, and wow again.  And I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or to sympathize. wink

There was a period after my youngest was born when I basically felt that I had lost my sense of smell.  I could barely detect any scents at all.  I felt frustrated about it and, to be honest, I prayed for a return of the ability to smell things.

Well, guess what!  It happened.  I got my sense of smell back and, not only that, but now (nearly twenty years later) I am overly sensitive to some odors - even good ones, if they are too strong.  Sometimes strong odors nearly nauseate me.

But back to the skunk.  I'm odd about skunks in that I think a very very small tinge of skunk musk is actually pleasant.  But this one doesn't know that and shared more than a tinge. lol I think part of the problem is that here at the computer, which is in a kind of corner, the smell has gotten trapped.  When I walked around some other areas down here, the smell was not nearly as strong.

I wish I could borrow your nose for a little while!  big_smile

Good night.... (or good morning, in some parts of Hubberland)

1. Lisa HW profile image62
            Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, my nose works really well when it comes to pretty much all other objectionable smells (as well as the nice smells, but I'm grateful for that   smile ).  It is just kind of weird that I'm the only one who seems to stay composed and happy when it's said that "skunk" is in the air.  smile  Then again, I always feel kind of clueless.   hmm

7. tom hellert profile image60
      tom hellertposted 13 years ago

ok, My cat jumped on my leg and now I am pretty sure its infected.
      TH

8. Luciendasky profile image60
      Luciendaskyposted 13 years ago

My bf dressed up like a zombie and then tried to kiss me....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)