Why write a "HUb?"

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Few read and respond to 'em.
    I love my "followers," and I read some of their stuff. It takes time, thought, perseverence and concern to write a good in depth, profound "hub."
    Few things in this
    nutty" world crammed with "nutty" people inspire me anymore. It ALL seems to be pretty much a waste.....comments?

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Hub followers are the least of my audience/reader/visitor concerns.  No offense meant to them, but I know for a fact that they are a small fraction of my traffic, and are not the people clicking on advertisements.  They also are a very small component of my commenters.

Really, the nutty people coming to my Hubs don't originate on this site and the fact that they come no matter what I seem to write about is kinda inspiring.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

You get lots of comments as far as I am concerned. Why complain? The question is more what you learn from them, and whether you have anything new to say. You are a writer, not an entertainer, supposedly.

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...i caught the "supposedly."

4. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

I dont know about others but i go to see the new published hubs of whom i follow and read and comment if i find the topic interesting.

5. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I don't write Hubs for pleasure or personal gain...
    i write about things that NEED to be said.. for the benefits of mankind and for future generations...

Take for example my 7 part series on the life and times of Elmer Fudd, which took me 3 months of painstaking labor to complete.

If my work saves just ONE life, or helps just ONE child from going astray, then my job would have been complete. (If it doesn't then I would just blame my lack of knowledge re: SEO).

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years ago

All good responses.
      In fact I really do write to satisfy an inner need to express myself.
      I am very pleased if others who seem to understand my "garble" read it and comment upon it.
      But People, in my estimation, are, in the main, concerned more about the "trivial" than in the profundities of every facet of life that is involved in the future of we human creatures who are doing our damndest to destroy ourselves.
      Yes I do get tired of reading about how to best wash the dog, or if we are living sinful lives and being judged by a mythical god thing, or "Favorite cartoon characters." etc.,etc..
      What I say in my "profile" is becoming more and more obvious everyday: "I have evolved through all the various concepts of the origin and purpose of "intelligent" life on this planet. I have resolved, through the process of conscious reason, that I have perceived "THAT" which contemporary humanity is not ready or prepared to consider: "there is no "grande" plan, there is no 'caring" force. The appearance of life is strictly by chance and that the success of all life is dependent upon it's ability to adapt and evolve. Life either succeeds or fails. Either way, the universe will not "twitch.

Even well educated people I have tried to entice into a discussion of the potential reason for intelligent  life to exist in a boundless and eternal cosmos, chronically refer to the mundane, shallow, tunnel visioned concepts which have been drilled into them since birth. They seem to be slaves of their egos. They cannot conceive of the notion that they are absolutely insignificant and mortal. The possiblity of immortality, at this stage of their evolution does not exist."

Maybe I'm just getting tired of "bullshit." To me it's ALL becoming, universally, naught but more of the same i.e. deleterious "BULLSHIT!

Am I just becoming jaded in my old age?

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years ago

My favourite people are those who comment whilst signed out and choose, rather originally, to post as 'Anonymous' before making it very obvious that they are an experienced member of Hubpages. Only, they are never experienced enough to post through a proxy - making their identities easy to work out.

Ok, so that is only two particular people, but I still find it amusing that they continue to do this. Especially the one who has conversations with themselves in the comments box. The one that constantly praises me in the forums, before anonymously attempting to jeopardise my sales pages, isn't quite so amusing.

smile

1. qwark profile image61

Ryan: I don't know what to say...:-(

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol, nothing. I attract the attention, mostly positive, the good comes with the bad. I take it all on the chin, I like having the upper-hand for a while... smile

1. qwark profile image61

can't fault that attitude...:-)

3. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I don't think you are becoming jaded, maybe more realistic?  I have more outside traffic than inside traffic.  I get more comments if I do a hubmob topic versus a jane topic.

1. qwark profile image61

Jane I have to agree with ya 100%

4. Don Simkovich profile image60
      Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

I write for the reasons of: being a writer - hubpages is a great place to express oneself and work on the writing craft; having a platform to promote businesses that might pay me as a client and need a space to promote them and drive traffic to their websites -- that's happened once; and to make money and test ideas which work and might make good niche websites. Yes, I'm making money -- not much and I want to start an eBook based on some of my Hubs. I keep writing and writing and writing . . . and I like the community.

1. qwark profile image61

Hi Don:
        I love to write. I AM writer!
        I don't make money doing it.
        I am writing a book on my life which is going to be quite long.
        Who knows if anyone will read it or if it will even be published.
        I know it'll take me another 10 yrs to finish. I'll do it for my family in the hope that one day they'll know what and who "Dad," "Grampa," and great "grampa" was. That is, even if they read it...lol
        I too want to enter all my past writings and poetry.
        I've never kept a diary...it'll all be from memory sumthin' like the finished product the "New Testament" was created from...lol Thanks for the response.

5. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

well, yes, it does take time to write a good hub, but I don't think they have to be profound, just well written.

most of my traffic doesn't come from hubbers and while it's nice to see their visit and comments, I would rather have the outside traffic.

I try to read at least 5 or so hubs a day, usually at night when I'm more relaxed. I've noticed lately though the quality of a couple hubbers hubs has gone down while the quantity is rising. I think it's more important to produce a well-written hub that people want to read... at least that's my preference.

qwark, write the book for your family. I now wish my parents had recorded more of their life. I have years of journals I probably should compile into a book..

1. qwark profile image61

Thanks Rebekah:

Correct, all "Hub's" do not have to be profound. Many of mine are and take hours to organize and present correctly. Exercise for my aging mind. I do appreciate it when they are read and understood.
        I am writing my book for the family.
        My life had been so full and interesting that I don't know if if it's going to take another life time to write it...lol
        Qwark

6. Bill Manning profile image67
      Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I write hubs to make money and for back links, nothing more. Sorry if that sounds shallow but writing online and doing websites is what I do, it's my full time job.

Hubpages is a place to write to make money. If not then they would not offer you to make money off ads on your hubs. However if you write for the pure joy and fun of it that's fine also.

But if Hubpages made no money off our writing, they would not be here. This site is somebody's business and they run it like one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)