jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

warning Cathy Smith

1. Kyriana profile image79
    Kyrianaposted 6 years ago

I was approving comments for my posts and there was a post from 'Cathy Smith' the name or nick could be clicked so I clicked to view her profile and instead of a profile I ended up on the landing page for another site.

This was her comment:

Cathy Smith 7 hours ago
    great & amazing site I love this site alot.

softtek is where you end up if you click her name. I searched hubbers for Cathy Smith and there is no one by that nick. I'm not approving her comment.

I wanted to let you know so if you have a comment from her, you might check and see if her nick takes you off HubPages.

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

That's very common.  She's simply trying to gain a backlink to her site.  You're perfectly within your rights to delete the comment and report it as spam.  That's what I do.

Kyrianaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks KCC,

That was the first time I've clicked a hubber's nick and ended up somewhere else.

1. thranax profile image59
        thranaxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The good news is if there is a link going outside in comments its NoFollow, they arent really getting any Juice for it. Most commenters have a website and are just trying to promote it. It is essentially designed to be able to get in contact with the commenter (but has be adapted for SEO.)

I seen some comments to simple things like Twitter Pages.

1. sofs profile image88
          sofsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Kyriana thanx for bring this up most of us newbies will not know such things and may even respond and encourage such spam.
          Kcc thanks for  the useful information.

I didn't know anything about it. I learn more here every day.

2. Kyriana profile image79

Thanks for the information. That's not something that would have occurred to me to do.

3. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 6 years ago

Yeah, I get this a lot, too.  I always delete them because I don't want my readers leaving to go to another sight if I can help it...

4. Sweetsusieg profile image84
    Sweetsusiegposted 6 years ago

Yes, thanks for posting this.  I would not have known what to do should it have happened to me.  Now I know.

5. Ivorwen profile image85
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

If it is a good comment, I leave it, as long as the site it is linked to is reputable.  I do not see any problem with people leaving a useful link in their name, along with a useful comment.

6. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

She's just trying to gain a backlink. Nothing out of the ordinary. I delete most like this, as in most cases  the link is not relevant to the hub, even if the comment is.

Clogging up forums with this