jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)

Are You a Leader or a Follower

1. elayne001 profile image45
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

Some believe you are either born as a leader or as a follower - which are you, and are you self made or a natural?

Personally, I would rather follow than lead, but I don't like to be led astray!!

1. mailxpress profile image74
      mailxpressposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My example is starting an Internet business.  At first I was a follower which got me nowhere.  Then I decided I would figure it out on my own and followed my own instincts and heart.  I get closer to my income goal every single day.  I feel I'm a leader.  I feel leaders take charge and go their own path.  I guess I would say I'm a self made leader because I've self made myself.

2. jasoncox83 profile image78
      jasoncox83posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would disagree as many that may follow early in their life may come to be leaders later on. Most who follow do so because they don't feel confident in leading others, some like you said though are born with that cofidence and does so right from the beginning.

2. astrate profile image60
    astrateposted 6 years ago

I am a little bit of both, you can not be a leader if you don't follow, bcz the ones you follow will make you a leader...

3. MKayo profile image91
    MKayoposted 6 years ago

Well, since leadership is action, not position, I follow those who lead in such a manner. Look at the actions of a leader, not what they say.

4. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

Neither. I think for myself, and don't care about followers. I think following someone is not knowing enough about yourself. As for governments, we can clearly see how able all of them are. We complain about that kind of leadership incessantly. Same with churches. All we really see is how human those leaders are, pretending to be something/someone they really aren't.

I don't think leaders are necessarily bad, I just don't see any worth following.

5. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

I believe I'm a leader who was taught to follow - because I really dislike following!

6. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

I am a leader. I have always started my own businesses and employed many people over my lifetime and as a leader I learnt to admire and respect followers.
    Good followers enable good leadership and in my experience many good followers become leaders. smile

Nicely put.  You have such a nice way with words.  That's probably why you are a leader naturally.  Way to go.

7. 0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

I'm a follower, although sometimes I find myself in the leader role - not because I want to, but because I'm put in situations where I'm required to lead others. Poor souls!!!

This is good.  Probably people feel you are a leader but you don't see yourself that way.

8. ProCW profile image85
    ProCWposted 6 years ago

Depends on the situation. Sometimes I lead. Sometimes I follow.

9. wilsonallen01 profile image61
    wilsonallen01posted 6 years ago

for me it depends upon the situation. Sometimes I lead and sometimes I follow. This is a natural phenomenon. You can not be a leader in all the things.

Thank You

10. Bard of Ely profile image89
    Bard of Elyposted 6 years ago

I am both!

11. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

I'm a follower.  It's a lot less effort and I get to where I'm going.

12. wychic profile image80
    wychicposted 6 years ago

I'm a little bit of both too...I'll gladly follow a good, competent leader, especially when they have clear expectations of me and can teach me in return. However, when there are no such leaders available, I'll readily take the reins and keep things moving on my own. I have also been known to step over the boundaries from time to time if I feel that my good, competent leader could be doing something better.

13. TruthDebater profile image60
    TruthDebaterposted 6 years ago

I try to follow the truth, but I don't know if the truth follows anyone.

1. sofs profile image88
      sofsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am a follower in those areas i am less familiar with and a leader where I know it is my domain, people are at once a leader and a follower.
      I wouldn't  draw distinct lines and say I am always a follower!