Nude photo galeries in hubpages:writers should join hands against it

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 97 discussions (226 posts)
  1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Google says no nudity. These hubs violating policy.
    The so called authors of these hubs are very clever. They become fan of any one and in return they get fans. Thus they have maximum number of fans. As these galeries need no intellectual,they publish number of hubs.This way they get highest hubscores such as 99 or even 100.

Yes, I am protesting this tendency of traffic mongers.I request all serious writers and the hubpage comunity at large,  Pls take these steps:

1. flag these hubs

2. Come out of their fan clubs

3.Rate these down

4.Go to forum against it.

5. Contact admin.

Thanx,

jyoti Kothari

1. profile image58
      swapna.67posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Jyothi Kothari I Understand Your Emotions,what i feel after reading all the replies in this thread is that all of you are wasting your time. I cant understand what you people say about losing traffic.

I have One question to ask you  DOES YOUR HUB SUBJECT INCLUDE SOMETHING RELATED TO "SEXY......ACTRESS"

First try to understand one thing : All Hubs are Indexed by Search engines,Visitors who want to view these galleries will search for "sexy actress" or "sexy photos" or keywords like that.

IF YOUR HUBS WERE OF THIS TYPE,I AGREE,YOU MAY LOSE TRAFFIC TO COMPETITORS OR OTHER HUBBERS POSTING SIMILAR ARTICLES.

As long as your hubs does not have anything to do with them,there is no question of losing Visitors. If your Hub deals with Loans or Finance or Jobs or Cooking you will be getting visitors who search for these tags. Do you think a person who is searching for Cooking or Loans will get the Search result as "Sexy Actress Gallery" . The main reason why you lose traffic is because the subject of the hub you are dealing with is the least searched or because your fellow hubbers who participated along with you in this thread has made Good hubs better than you.

YOU LOSE TRAFFIC TO YOUR HUBS AS A RESULT OF BETTER RANKED HUBS MADE BY PEOPLE WHO SELECT SIMILAR TOPICS LIKE YOU.

I also "Flag" Hubs when i see Inappropriate content and Rate them down, but i am not that foolish to take this as a job and to go after them as if they are stealing your wealth. The time you waste can be used for making 2 or 3 Better Hubs.

I dont understand what you people mean by Rating down all Picture gallery Hubs.
      Understand One Thing, Hubbers when counted will be Only in Thousands or Lakhs, But think of the millions of Visitors that these Photo Gallery Hubs get every month.

IF 1000 HUBBERS RATE A HUB DOWN AND LAKHS OF VISITORS RATE IT UP, WHAT WILL HAPPEN,THE RANKING OF THAT HUB WILL CERTAINLY GO UP. HUBBERS ARE NOT THE JUDGES THE ULTIMATE JUDGES ARE VISITORS.

HUB PAGES ADMINISTRATORS ARE DOING NOTHING WRONG AND THEY SHOULD NOT BE BLAMED. THEY HAVE GIVEN A BRILLIANT PLATFORM LIKE THIS FOR YOUR BENEFIT AND YOU PEOPLE ARE ARGUING OVER NOTHING.

And To Conclude Let Me Share a Truth With You
      "SCIENCE HAS BEEN A FAILURE IN FINDING MEDICINE FOR JEALOUSY"

1. embitca profile image83
        embitcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Bingo!  Time better spent indeed.

2. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

If a hub is way too out of line you can flag it.  There was one two weeks ago that was really bad so I did, but most I see are are not as bad as the one in question.  If you think a hub is breaking the Hubpages rules just flag it and let the moderator decide.

3. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

Pls read this hub:
    http://hubpages.com/_1krntbvbu6har/hub/ … s-writers.
    I apologise for posting my hub by mistake in the last post. I wanted to post this one.
    Jyoti Kothari

4. SweetiePie profile image84

It look like it has already been taken down.

5. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

I have checked.This hub is existing. Something wrong with google. It is showing that this page is expired.
    Pls go and check it manually. It is really needed.

http://hubpages.com/_1krntbvbu6har/hub/ … us-writers
    jyoti Kothari

1. seohowto profile image60
      seohowtoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am just wondering how he got 82 fans within 2 weeks only! Let's be "picky"

6. SweetiePie profile image84

Okay now I read the hub and I see what you mean.  It is a well written hub and my opinion is those of us who are here to write should not worry about the hubs with pictures of scantily clothed women, unless one of those hubs is really breaking the hubpage rules.  Hubbers that are here to write will stand out for their writing and that is what matters in the end.

7. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

Yet another hub against this nudity.
    http://hubpages.com/_1krntbvbu6har/hub/ … -hubs-gone
    I can not understand one thing;
    people says google loves contents. Then how these photo galeries without any or very less text contents getting high page rank?can anyone say how the hubs are getting better ?
    jyoti kothari

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are the one advertising it. How dumb do you think we are? Adding a tracker lol big_smile

8. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

Adult content should be flagged and removed, no question, but the matter of photo galleries and scantily-clad women is a tricky one.

I've responded at greater length on the hub in question.

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jyoti Kothari for bringing up this topic,. I've been thinking about it too.
      Written content is what Google thrives on, and the hubs that consist of mainly photos with a few words are just going along for the ride on the SEO aspects of Hub Pages written content.

I've also responded on the hub in question - and offer the following solution:

Why not separate hubs that are primarily photo galleries from hubs with written content.

Perhaps by splitting off the photo galleries into a separate "stream" with a different subdomain
      - ie galleries.hubpages.com
      Or even a different domain name - ie HubGalleries.com - which could effectively be a new business under the "HUB" concept.

(I've registered this name and a similar one to protect them - and am willing to turn them over to Hub Pages management at no cost if they see merit in this idea, and want to use it.)

9. SweetiePie profile image84

At the end of the day I am not worried what people write about, but I am glad you outlined the specifics on this issue Maddie.  Thanks for doing that smile.

10. Stooge profile image68
    Stoogeposted 15 years ago

Here is the original hub that Jyoti wanted to copy here.

When I joined Hubpages, I really liked the concept and the vast number of serious hubbers and hubs. However, over the last week, I have come to realize that there are many hubbers who are here just for traffic and nothing else. Else what is the point of posting online picture galleries of some obscure actresses from South India?

I was searching for some good and creative hubs today, but the first ten search pages of hot hubs were full of these photo galleries trying to attract traffic by sensationalizing the sanity of a reader. By posting a catchy title like "Sexy pics of ABC actress" or "Hot nubile girls on web", they are actually attracting trafiic. I dont have problems if people are interested in this kind of stuff but I am still complaining because the traffic which ideally should go to creative and serious hubs is stolen by these traffic mongers. If a great hub appears at the 8th page and a "sexy" and "hot" gallery of "Indian pub going girls" comes on the 1st, there is seriosly something wrong with the Hubpages ranking system.

To be honest, Hubpages has one of the most fair system in place, still I would like it to make some changes so that these hubs which purely thrive on sensation factor are ranked differently. Hubpages was started as a place for budding writers and I would love to vision it that way. Not only the success of these online galleries discourage the serious writers, they also create a bad impression for everybody who thought here is a great forum for writing.

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I heartily agree!  HubPages specifically prohibits "adult" hubs.  "Sexy" or "nubile" in a hub title pretty much screams "adult material", so why haven't the two hubs referred to been taken off already?

11. Stooge profile image68

I really do not understand why are we justifying the presence of online galleries of semi nude girls here. We all know that is not what Hubpages is all about. Even if they technically do not break any rules, there has to be clear line of difference between what is quality content and what is just a gallery trying to attract a lot of traffic.

Agreed they are not exactly hardcore adult stuff, still, realize it or not, they are affecting the overall quality of content on Hubpages. Nobody, who is associated with Hubpages, would like that. Hubpages was and will always be, essentially, a writer's place.

Maddie said that these galleries do not really break any rules. Although we can debate on what kind of content is within the rules and what is outside, I will give in to her judgement as she is a senior hubber. However, as a constructive feedback, this matter can be taken seriously by the Hubpages administration. Also, if I may, I would like to give a suggestion to tackle this problem.

Maddie commented that earlier, there was a system which allowed adult hubs if they were categorized as such. So, why can't we have a similar system for these kind of galleries and make a separate section for them on Hubpages. Maddie made a wonderful point that visitors to these galleries don't really flock the content rich hubs. I like to believe that it is also applicable vice versa. Even serious hubbers don't really visit these galleries. If there is a separate section for these galleries (just like hub, hubbers, request, topics and forums), I guess everybody would be happy. Hubpages and these kind of hubbers will keep getting the large traffic they attract today and at the same time these galleries will not get mixed up with serious hubs. Both kind of hubs will have separate section and hubbers would know where to find their kind of hubs.

Maddie and all, please let me know if this makes any sense. I am not trying to chase away gallery hubbers from Hubpages. I just request a better categorization system which provides hubbers a fair opportunity and freedom of what kind of hubs they want to see or browse through.

Considering that Hubpages used to allow adult content, I'm pretty sure you don't have a lock on what Hubpages is all about. It isn't just here for quality content as YOU define it. It is here for all kinds of people to contribute content of various types so that Hubpages (and Hubbers) can make money from the search engine traffic coming to the site. Traffic = Money.

Also, if I'm searching for a photo of someone and I find a gallery that has photos of that someone, that's pretty much my definition of "quality content", i.e. quality = satisfaction of my search quest.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What Embitca says smile
        I don't see any reason for revising hubs policy regarding this matter. It does not adversely affect Hubpages position with search engines. In fact, I'm pretty much sure it helps all of your hubs to rank higher.
        If someone does not like pics of half-naked women, they are free not to look at them.

Oh come on Misha!
          In another thread, you complain loudly about people writing about converting cars to run on water - A topic that really rattles your cage. You seek ways of stopping them.

Well, the topic of galleries vs. articles is a similar thing. Only there's more people in the cage.

So - Quoting your own advice:
          If you don't like articles about cars running on water - you don't have to look at them - much less spend time searching for, and providing links to them.

(I hope you're still my friend after this big_smile )

1. Misha profile image63

LOL Of course I am. You are a cool guy, even if we disagree on a couple of issues smile

Those two are completely different cases though - at least I see them as absolutely unrelated.

Half naked girls is an ethical/aesthetical issue. Some people like them, some people don't, some people are neutral. It's subjective. Water4gas is a rip-off. You get the same result - zero - with every installation. It's objective. Does not depend on gender, age, political or religious views. Feel the difference?

Now, I was asking advice from fellow hubbers on how to deal with situation I don't like. To stress this, thread intentionally been placed in Automotive forum, not into problems and suggestions one. Here you guys are requesting Hubpages to change their business to fit your aesthetical tastes. Feel the difference?

Of course I can ignore those hubs. I just feel for those guys who don't know the difference, and will spend their last penny on this crap in the hope to save on gas...

12. SweetiePie profile image84

Stooge,

I am very interested in reading what hubbers like you have to say and I am sure many feel that way.

13. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

A separate category for "adult" hubs that don't (quite) break the rules is a great idea.  Who knows, once those who came to SEE 'em just might wander around and READ our hubs.  It could happen...  Playboy and Penthouse mags had GREAT articles on either side of their nude Babe-of-the-Month centerfolds!  smile

It could happen - but I doubt it.

That's the sort of thinking used by the insurance salesman who set up his stall in the path of a stream of people heading for a football match.

He Couldn't understand why nobody was interested - after all, there were HEAPS of people, and they ALL needed Insurance.

He failed to consider the aspect of "CONTEXT". Sure, people that passed by all bought insurance - but they weren't interested in it while they had their heads full of football.

(But I know what you're saying. I only ever bought Playboy for the articles !! )

I doubt PB or its "sister" (sister?) mag ever knew what a following they had among the girlfriends and wives who actually read those articles.  Or maybe they did!   smile  At any rate, in the interest of the First Amendment, those of us who are here to publish quality content should just sharpen our pencils and our wits, and not worry about those who only come to ogle.

OK, I've sharpened both my pencil and my wits:

The working title of my next hub is:

How Sexy, Naked Celebrities with Enormous Breasts Can Protect Their Computers From Hackers" big_smile big_smile big_smile

Excuse me while I hop over to your profile and become a Fan.  I certainly won't want to miss that one!  smile smile smile

2. Dorsi profile image89
            Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ROTFL........

Good one!!!

3. seohowto profile image60
            seohowtoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ERIC, YOU ARE MY HERO::::smile))))

2. Stooge profile image68
      Stoogeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Jama,

The Playboy comparison was great. lol :-)

Thanks for your support. Eric may differ on the cross traffic that serious writers may get from gallery lovers, but that is secondary. What is really important is to have the two things separate and tweak the scoring algorithm in such a way that it encourages content. It is a shame to sensibilities that a sexy pic gallery is rated 99 and 100 whereas many quality and really useful hubs are in 70s and 80s.

Tweaking the scoring to reward quality content and usefulness rather than sensationalism would be the ideal solution.  Apparently it's the "sex" tags used by the sexy pic galleries that make those hubs come up first in search engines.  Disallowing such tags would level the playing field for the rest of us.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I might have overlooked others, but I only see one hub that could be remotely considered a "sexy pic gallery" in the first ten pages of the best hubs list (from 100 down to 95 or so).  So, I think we are actually scoring hubs reasonably well.

However, it is true that traffic is one of the major components of our scoring system, and it is also true that many of those photo gallery hubs generate a lot of traffic.  Traffic is money, and HubPages is a business.  So, suggesting that we just remove a significant revenue stream or change our policy after the fact (and after the creator's of those hubs spent a lot of time building them) is a non-starter.

Eric's suggestion that we segregate the photo galleries in some way is more practical, and might be something we consider in the future.  But just to be clear, that would require a fairly significant change to our architecture.  So, I don't think you can expect to see anything along those lines in the next few months.  However we'll keep that suggestion it mind as we make our longer term plans ...

Yes, It would be a major structural change, and that could not happen quickly. Thanks for considering it and responding to this thread. You could implement it gradually, so that over a period of time gallery hubs would transfer over to their own structure. Email me if you want the domain name :-)

2. Stooge profile image68

Paul, thanks for this post. May be we differ on what is an adult or near adult content but I am glad we have made the point across to you and your team. Our suggestion of separate section or domain name for galleries should be a winner, because (a) it does not really affect the existing traffic, and (b) more serious hubbers do not have to weed out from unwanted hubs to find something of interest.

I am glad you find the idea practical and are willing to take it forward. We will be keenly watching to have more updates from you over this. Hope you do not mind if we follow up with you on this some time later.

3. embitca profile image83

Well, if you're open to suggestions, I would suggest not doing that smile

I really do not get why photo galleries need to be segregated off to some gallery ghetto and as someone who does the occasional gallery hub, I do NOT WANT my gallery hubs shunted off to some other part of the site. So I hope you'll be open to the suggestion not to change anything at all.

Just because one or two people who have been here for a week don't understand that galleries aren't stealing any traffic from their so-called "quality" hubs doesn't mean you should change the entire site's architecture. Would be nice if some hubbers were a little more "live and let live". Jeepers. I've never seen so many nannies in one website community or so many new users so quick to start policing the people who were here before them. The galleries don't break the TOS, so get over yourselves!

1. Stooge profile image68

Embitca,

I am not alone. Even senior hubbers who joined before you think this way. People like Eric and many others have been thinking about it from a long time.

I am not trying to be a moral police and I certainly do not think that being just a week old on Hubpages undermines my ability to identify a flaw in the system. What I am suggesting is for the betterment of the website and for better navigation opportunity to everybody depending on their likes and dislikes.

I am amused because of the way you are so sure these galleries will be thrown in some ghetto. Probably that stemmed out because you know the kind of treatment they deserve. However, practically, I dont think they are going to do that even if they agree to these suggestions. I am sure these will be featured permanently on the website, just separately from text heavy hubs (pardon me if you did not like my use of the word 'quality' for these hubs, but I like to put anything which is based on research and is constructively useful in that category). So, relax and before calling names, please be assured that what we are shouting about is in a larger interest.

1. Misha profile image63

With all my respect to Eric, he would not pretend to be a senior hubber. To be frank, the vast majority of senior hubbers did not say their word on this yet, and those who did are not on your side. I would advise you spend some time watching the community before jumping to conclusions on who is senior and who is not. smile

I think you should tone it down. If anybody is calling names here, it is you.

I certainly don't regard myself as a "senior hubber".
                Whatever that may be.

I've given my opinion on this topic, made a suggestion, and that's it.
                It can be taken up - or ignored. I'm not going to lose sleep over it either way.

Misha - your point about the differences between galleries / text issue and the water fuel is valid.
                However, that's not really the point I'm arguing.

I believe that photo galleries - regardless of subject matter - and text are different forms of communication. and perhaps a distinction should be made between them when a hub consists almost solely of one form or the other.
                If you wanted to read a newspaper, you wouldn't go to a cinema and expect to read it on the screen.

Anyway - Now that the flame wars, name calling, and putting people down over the length of time they've been here has started, I see no point in making any further posts to this thread.

Have fun guys - I'm outta here.

2. embitca profile image83

Well this is certainly where you and I see differently because I don't see this as being in the larger interest at all and I don't think it is for the betterment of the site.

And don't put remarks into my mouth. I don't think this is "treatment that they deserve." You might think that (which really makes my use of the word ghetto ironically fitting in context), but I certainly don't.

2. Eric Graudins profile image59

You obviously don't get around much.
            ( and Nannies presumably meaning people who have a different view to your own)

So many new users?  4?  big_smile big_smile big_smile (And That includes Misha, who's obviously a new user as he has been here less than you!)

Policing? Oh really. As far as I can see , all I have done is express my opinion - Something that I thought was acceptable under the Hubpages TOS.

Would you please be kind enough to tell me how long I have to be here before I am allowed to make a suggestion in these forums?

I've been in the forum for over a year. This happens on a regular basis. So no, it is not four users. It is four users today. This is a prime example really. The assumption that these kind of arguments never occured before you joined and therefore I must only be talking about you.

You're free to make suggestions or, alternatively, flounce off in a huff, whenever you like.

3. DJ Funktual profile image76
            DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I read the whole thread and this is the one that I agree with.   

I do think Stooge is way of base but entitled to his opinion.  He constantly talks in the tone of a mobilized force and then calls himself the humble soldier.  Is it okay if I roll my eyes now?

I also think that SweetiePie is the one who likes to police everyone in the way we talk to each other.   She occasionally says something stupid and then when she gets called on it we have to hear about for five or six posts about how she's entitled to her opinion.  What about a counter-opinion?   Let the other people speak.   They might also have a opinion.

That was civil wasn't it?  She won't sleep on it though you can bet on that.

In fact I'm expected her...........now!

1. SweetiePie profile image84
              SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Actually I was at work so I did not see all this.  Look DJ everyone says stupid things, but the truth is you have offended me several times.  I tried to let it go, but the truth is I know I am an intelligent lady.  You could have apologized.  I do not expect you to, but I will no longer question what people say about others since you feel I am the police.  I had really thought a lot of good things about you until you started wanting to call me on things.

14. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

Campaign against nudity is now on place. What we placed is taken hand on hand by the fellow hubbers. Thumbs up.
    Thanks to all joining hands.
    Pls do not forget 5 steps i have suggested in starter.
    jyoti kothari

15. Stooge profile image68

Jyoti, Eric and all,

The 'campaign' is really in place :-) My inbox is flooded with mails from fellow hubbers who somehow do not want to speak in public. I have personally thumbed down/flagged a lot of hubs today.

I intend to follow it up with the admin as far as possible. I request everybody to join hands.

16. Stooge profile image68

In case you missed out the news on my Hub, I have already contacted the Hubpage CEO and requested him to do something about it. Request you all to do the same. Hope he can bring some fresh perspectives.

17. Stooge profile image68

That was funny Eric.  :-) Do remember that I will flag it if you put in a matching picture :-P

18. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

OK, see you on other threads then smile

19. Stooge profile image68

Eric, I did not want to offend anybody personally. All of us wanted to express our opinions and we did just that. It is of course your personal decision to be here or not, but personally, I would like you to be here.

On the senior hubber issue, I called you that not because of the duration of your association with Hubpages, but because of your profile and experience you have got in your field. I consider you a senior just because I think you are far more learned and experienced in profession and life than me.

I am not sure why this mud slinging started, and certainly it was not warranted. Probably you did the right thing by getting out of here. I cant really get out of here, but surely can stop this mud-slinging game. I would better ignore these comments, because I dont want people like you moving out from something which has united so many people.

20. profile image50
    john schmitposted 15 years ago

I, do, with you publicly. Why not? why should we be afraid?
    We must campaign against it, not only in google but in other forums too. In social sites.
    john

21. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Basically what it boils down to is this:

If you cannot just take the word of the staff member who posted in the thread (Pauldeeds) then perhaps you should consider a business perspective:

Sex sells.
    Traffic = money.
    Ads clicked = money.
    Hubpages likes money, and I'm betting since you're here (the universal you) that you're here to write, make money, and likely enjoy a diverse community with a lot of pooled knowledge.

As Paul said, and I'll paraphrase, presenting ideas that will mean a loss of money for Hubpages is generally the kind of thing that gets passed over.

Now, on the topic of nude photos and the like - Nude, within the adult industry, means the model or actress is wearing absolutely no clothing.  With THIS in mind, there is a difference between artistic nudity and pornographic nudity.  The former, when applicable to a Hub, adds to the quality of the written portion of the Hub and gives something more visually drawing for the reader to latch on to.

The latter is against the rules. 

As far as what defines adult or not, to bring in another industry definition here:

The word "Adult" in the terms of categorizing web site content is applied to any site, block of text or graphic which depicts subject matter not suitable for minors as pertains to Federal, State and local laws.  Any site displaying such material must and frequently will incorporate a clause into their registration process and their Terms of Service which clearly state users and viewers MUST be eighteen or older.  In some locations a visitor to said site may have to be 21.

So, while a girl wearing a low cut halter top and daisy dukes may be slightly suggestive, it is not considered adult content.  If she were topless and showing off "the twins" then it would most assuredly be adult content.

It may be interesting to note that companies such as Playboy and other adult entertainment magazines make less profit from the pictures than they do the articles.  Sure, the beautiful women and sexy pictures attribute to sales, but it is the articles, news bites and various other mostly texted based items in the magazines that drive sales, promote the company name and products, and raise the bar for their work to a more "validated" status in some customers eyes.  There is a good percentage of porn mag readers who are more enticed by the steamy words featured in these magazines than they are by the nude photos.

-Charlotte
    --the girl who works for a major porn company

22. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

LOL

Must be a full moon or something.

Here is my perspective:

You are not going to stop this. As much as I am not impressed by the amount of "Hot Indian Chicks in their Underwear," hubs, it makes no odds to me.

Why? - 90% of my traffic comes from external sources. I do not actively seek traffic from within hubpages. Why not? - because it doesn't convert very well. Either to money or interest in my other work. So I don't bother.

The advantage of hubpages to me is an easy-to-use interface and a high level of visibility to the search engines. This second one is, at least in part, due to the high levels of traffic coming to the site. Some of which comes from these sort of hubs.

So, I am not bothered by them. I make fun of the "writers" when they come on the forums promoting them selves as experts lol

But - If it really offends you, a better tack would be to complain to the photographer they stole the work from.

That is the only thing that bothers me - these "writers," are making a living by stealing other people's work

As an ex-pro photographer - that bites - because that is a tough way to make a living.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting, Mark.  I was reading through the thread and was about to make the same points, but you got there first!  It only took me a couple of months for over 80% of my traffic to come from outside, so new Hubbers just have to be patient.

I think it's also worth remembering that the only reason HubPages doesn't allow adult content is that Adsense won't allow it.  So as Paul said, it seems unlikely they'd crack down any more than they have to- they have a business to run, after all.

Personally, I think it would also be difficult for HP to police suggestive or offensive Hubs that weren't actually nude. There's a huge difference between tasteful pictures of lingerie-clad women, and lewd ones of silicone-enhanced pubescent-looking girls hanging upside down with half their boobs hanging out - but both are semi-clad.  It would be a shame if the former lost out because HP decided to "get tough" on the latter.

23. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

I'm with Mark, Marisa, and Misha (even though my name doesn't begin with M).

I personally don't like Hubs full of exploitative shots of scantily-clad women, even if the women and the photographer were well paid and happily accepted the job of their own volition.

However, this is merely my own, personal, preference.

Other people apparently do like them, because they get traffic.

Is my life in any way impacted by a Hub somewhere full of "nubile" pix?

No.

Are my Hubs in any way impacted?

No.

HubPages provides me with an excellent platform which is constantly being improved, and an audience for my writing, both internal and external via search engines, and it does this without charging me a penny.

How does HubPages manage this?

It earns a percentage of the money that the "perverted hordes" who come to leer at titties generate by clicking on ads in the hopes of finding more titties.

If HubPages contained NO material directed at the lowest common denominator, it would not be able to afford to provide me with a platform. The lowest common denominator may be low, but it is common. Refinement and literary discrimination are less common.

So, in fact, my life is ENHANCED by the lip-licking loads of lustful lowbrows who love to leer at luscious lulus in lingerie.

Their clicks pay for every benefit I receive from HubPages (except the measly $60 in Adsense revenue that  my own personal Hubs have generated for HubPages so far).

And, to all the moral police who want to impose their own preferences in the rest of the world, their clicks are also paying for YOUR Hubbing platform.

If you really want to take the high moral ground, refuse to participate in the benefits of the ill-gotten gains by withdrawing completely from Hubbing.

Anything else would be hypocrisy.

Jenny

P.S. These comments are addressed to those who are morally outraged by the lewdness, of course, not those who are merely trying to solve the practical problem of sorting search results to prevent delicate sensibitilies from being unexpectedly confronted by exposed flesh.

1. Misha profile image63

ROFL and LMAO at the same time! You should teach Mohit some English wink
      I missed you Jenny, where have you been?

1. profile image0
        RFoxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_9_141.gif

Live and let live, is all I have to say about this.

2. Inspirepub profile image72
        Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

<virtuous tone>

I have been *working*.

</virtuous tone>

Jenny

1. Misha profile image63

Yes, ma'am. I understand, ma'am wink

3. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I second that that is one of the best 2 liners that I have seen on the forums! 
        Going back to Johti : there is no nudity: its against Googles puritanical TOS: the fact that sexy is much easier with some clothes just shows the silliness of this ruling.  Full frontal nudity can be completely inoffensive: I have it 1 of my hubs and no ones complained and its very unsexy! What you are complaining about are in no way pornorgraphic compared to normaly western standards and I guess because Eng is the mandated language here that is what the standards are.

I agree with Mark the only person being ripped off are the photographers whose work is no doubt being used without permission.  If I find hub featuring anyone under the age of 16 I will be happy to flag it but after that live and let live!  And enjoy the love Google shows for this site partly because of the traffic from all "hot" hubs - even the offensive ones such as the one peddling cancer cures on the first page: now thats offensive!

24. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

I think this discussion has pretty much wound down here, but a few more points I'd like to add:

Actually, photo galleries don't tend to monetize best in the form of clicks and product sales, but they do tend to bring in traffic and backlinks, which in turn contribute to the authority of the site, benefiting everyone here at HubPages, even those to whom such photos seem in bad taste.

You can usually reasonably tell from the title whether or not the hub will contain content to your liking.  If you prefer not to view such content, don't click on hubs with titles like any one of the examples that have been pointed out (or joked about) on this thread.  If you do find a hub with a misleading title or tags, please flag it as deceptive!

Thanks, everyone, for weighing in on this.  We always enjoy hearing feedback from the community--on both sides of any issue.

25. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

Dear all,
    i have started this topic and there are many replies. The topic has ignited a debate. I think the hub comunity and the admin will look after the matter for the betterment of the hubpages and the hubbers.
    jyoti kothari

26. deepbugs profile image59
    deepbugsposted 15 years ago

hi everyone, Im a newbie.. from phil. Good day

27. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

I supose I should also express my opinion on the matter. There are many different hubs that offend me. Not just the picture galleries either. So what? No matter how many offensive hubs I find, they do nothing to make my hubs look bad.

If you write well written hubs, no amount of nudity or any other pictures can take away what you wrote. Search engines will direct people to your hubs, if your hubs are good enough. If they are not good hubs, the photos aren't the ones directing traffic away.

Nothing else much to say on the subject.

Good hubs always stand out.  People may look at the other pictures, but many come to read the informative hubs.

28. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 15 years ago

Where the owners of Hubpages should be more concerned, I think, is with the risk that those people posting galleries are infringing on copyright rules for the photos themselves...

This could drag Hubpages down into a mire of a decidedly nastier nature...

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That may be true, but that is up to Hubpages and not the writers. If a person infringes on a copyright and is found out that person can get into serious trouble. I am not sure Hubpages can be held responsible for what one of the members does.

2. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Because it's against Google policy to post nudity on pages where you feature their ads. I believe this is what HP is concerned with. If the hubs in question are still published and viewable, then they must not be a problem with Google's terms, which is what HP abides in their terms (for the most part that is).

They've posted many times that if the owner of the content (whether photos or text) contacts them that it was taken without permission, they will take care of that situation.

I think if you guys have a problem with a particular hub or hub series, contact HP about it. This has been discussed to no end before, and things usually get ugly.

1. Misha profile image63

I guess this time we managed to stay more or less polite. Although things may get uglier if the other party mounts enough courage to attempt a comeback big_smile
        So far they are conspiring in the comments of their leading hub. Fun reading, really  smile

29. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

I agree withyou. Even my hubs are atracting much traffic. moreover they are clicking ads and even buying from Ebay and amazon. I hope I will earn revenue more than them.

As I have started the topic, it was not about stealing traffic but about policy of google. Google hubpages do not allow adult contents. That's it.
    jyoti Kothari

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Then it is up to Google to decide whther thay are allowed or not. I have been here for 5 months now and the photos were here before I was. Google hasn't stopped their ads yet so they must be in compliance.

30. Stooge profile image68

1. It is not about winning or loosing some obscure argument on a thread. So, there is no question of a comeback.
    2. So many people have commented and pledged their support because they think this is really an issue.
    3. The 'leading hub' was published because the hubber felt that way. Many hubbers tried to make the community see their point early on this thread, but it turned into mud-slinging by offended parties. So, most of us have decided to remain out of here.
    4. The leading hub has received all kind of comments. All those comments are welcome.Nobody really needs to conspire. We do not belong to an anti-HubPages group.
    5. We have decided upon how best we can contribute and have already started doing that after HubPages administration clarified that there is not much they can do. Now, there is no need of posting explanations in the forum. People are doing what appeals to their sanity. Thank you very much.
    6. After writing the 'leading hub', I have received so many different points of view, both supporting and against my original thought. It has changed my way of thinking about a lot of things. Hopefully, it did the same for a lot of other hubbers.

31. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

That's a nice one smile

Whitney, looks like things will not get uglier here.

Stooge, you won me over into your fan club. I am going to join right away.

And sorry for "conspiracy" - I meant to joke, not to offend. smile

32. SweetiePie profile image84

Stooge I agree with you on the mud slinging points.  Many times on here I have seen people with differing points of view disintegrate into out and out battles of will.  Each person is entitled to share their point of view and I think we all have equal says.  I think the forum would be more friendly and inviting if there was less of these battles of will here.  Many do not enjoy arguments on forums, so it is easier to stay away than to get embroiled into an argument.  I truly commend you for stating your case and being respectful and professional about it.

1. Misha profile image63

I can assure you that this forum is one of the most friendly and inviting you can find on the net. I've seen quite a few smile

With a few exceptions big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

You and I don't count of course big_smile

Us condescending vaginas need to stick together smile

1. Misha profile image63

If Eric decides to join, we can make new Trinity and found a church big_smile

2. SweetiePie profile image84

For the most part yes.  However, the arguing could be toned down a bit smile.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
          JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years agoin reply to this

A lot of arguement. Every body has said, what he had to.
          Yes, I had started the arguement supported by a hub by Stooge.
          We had our point of view and others have their own. I  always respect opposite views.
          Now it is better to finish it.
          We should start some other topic.
          Thanks to everyone again who contributed to this debate.
          Jyoti kothari
          Hyderabad/jaipur
          Thanks every body who contributed to this debate.

33. Mark Knowles profile image59

Speaking of mud-slinging, I fail to see how dragging up a year-old Hong Kong press release and making a hub that is less than 50% original writing that just slags off said press release  for being sensationalist because they criticize a 2,000-year-old book can be considered "Serious Writing."

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bible-drawn-int … ontroversy

Call me old fashioned if you will, but this is no more "serious writing," than the photo galleries.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

Should we all start thumbing it down and flagging it? wink

I'm going to start a group. lol

34. Stooge profile image68

Misha, Thanks for leaving a fan mail. I am honoured.

Certainly I dont want things to make ugly. Enough has been said and even more is being done, so I think there is no point repeating again and again, not when there is a risk of making things ugly.

SweetiePie, you have left many comments on my hub and have been encouraging without being biased. Thank you so much for putting your thoughts without taking sides. Hubbers like you and the overall community is something that is the best thing I liked about Hubpages.

35. Stooge profile image68

Mark and Misha, you are free to thumb it down. However, if you try to look at the intention, it was not just submitting a new hub. It was to express my ire at something that disgusted me.

I dont look at the number of words when I write a hub, also not at the percentage of words that are not original. If there is something I feel others should know, I write it. I did give proper citation and reference to the article and wrote what I felt about the article.

Agreed that half the hub was just a news article, but I feel that does not take away anything from my thoughts. Without that article in the hub, the hub would have lost its meaning.

In no way, I am ashamed of providing that article in the hub and do not think it was unjustified. Thanks anyway, for letting me know your point of view. Will be great if you could use the right platform and not mix up issues.

LOL

I was just having fun.

On the other hand, this is the same issue. I do not consider ranting about something that disgusts you to be serious writing and I could easily get upset if that hub scored higher than my hubs - which I do consider to be serious writing. Maybe the people who do the "Half naked Indian chicks" hubs don't count the amount of words they write and are in no way ashamed of sharing whatever it is they are sharing?

If you don't see the irony....... big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

Can't say this better than Mark smile

2. Whitney05 profile image82
        Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. You can complain about partially nude photos, but someone else can complain that you copied half that article and ranted about a hub. Both, to me, are substandard and not serious writing.

Just contact HP about what you don't like about their rules and regulations instead of dragging it all up here.

I'm out.

1. MrMarmalade profile image70
          MrMarmaladeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I did post something on this matter, but for some reason It did not arrive. I will not jump off the Harbour Bridge.
          I do think everybody has had a pretty good run on this subject and it is getting boring. Next page [please

36. Stooge profile image68

Probably, if this continues, things will go ugly. I really do not want to reply to that. Replying to arguments made only for argument's sake is something I can't manage. If it makes you happy, I hope you keep having fun. I am out of here.

37. Mark Knowles profile image59

Whatever you think. Write a hub about it, but I think you will find this URL already taken smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/Misha-and-Mark- … ng-Vaginas

38. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Jyoti, you can start the thread, but it is not in your power to close it. You have to get used to this if you want to participate in public forums. smile

39. xtnshun profile image63
    xtnshunposted 15 years ago

Did the discussion lead to anything changing?

1. Misha profile image63

Except for several people a tiny bit better understanding some fundamental relationship issues probably not. But what does? wink

40. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Man, now I feel like I wasted my time explaining to some newbie what constitutes adult content on the internet.

I typed all that up just for this thread, too.  /cry.

1. Misha profile image63

No effort is wasted! Next time you'll type it faster tongue

41. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Isn't it great to be in a democracy? I love it! Threads like this would vanish in some other countries!
    We are so fortunate, but we are probably making HubPages staff tear their hair out right now.
    Like I said before, for myself, I trust their judgement on what is and isn't appropriate....
    and yes it's kind of funny you can't close the thread now but we could let it die a lonely death...........
    Unitl my sexy hubbers hub comes out, then I'm in trouble I guess.
    I'm such a troublemaker.

I am looking forward to that hub!  When is it coming?

1. Dorsi profile image89

I want to give hubbers a couple more days to get me pics ( but I can always add some later on too, can't I?)
        I am also adding some research I've done on "sexy" (like I said it got more involved than I thought.....lol...)
        Couple days out I'd say.
        Stay tuned!

42. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Dorsi what this has to do with democracy? We don't vote for government on this thread I think wink

1. Dorsi profile image89

Freedom of Speech!!
      Democracy at it's finest- if we were in a censored country we wouldn't even be allowed to have this thread or discussion at all. In fact, come to think of it, the sexy hot hubs wouldn't be allowed either!
      (at least that's what democracy is SUPPOSED to be- our government- well I'll just keep my mouth shut on what I think about some of our "politicians"!)

1. crashcromwell profile image66
        crashcromwellposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Dorsi. At its most basic level, democracy is a system where people make decisions that affect their lives, as opposed to some government bureaucracy making decisions in a vacuum. Without freedom of speech or freedom of expression, it would be impossible for us to make responsible, educated decisions on issues that affect them. Everyone knows that the internet is just filled with pornographic images. If you're not into that, you can go to one of the many sites that has nothing to do with pornography....like mine! I may be a champion of free speech and free expression, but on the pages of my hub, there's no need for it because that's not what my hub presence is all about.

43. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Am I missing something?

democracy
    Noun
    pl -cies
    1. a system of government or organization in which the citizens or members choose leaders or make other important decisions by voting
    2. a country in which the citizens choose their government by voting [Greek dēmokratia]

Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

What this has to do with the freedom of speech? wink

44. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

Campaign AGAINST nudity?

Count me out ya prudes.

However I've brought up the topic about photo galleries clogging up the categories repeatedly!!

Why don't you just SEPERATE THEM?

45. Hoodala profile image53
    Hoodalaposted 15 years ago

You know how much I hate to agree with Mark but that gem + this one make Stooge one of the worste offenders of the low quality component I have seen.  http://hubpages.com/hub/Todays-most-sea … h-May-2008

Hoodala and Misha, good that you brought this up. I know this one can not be called 'writing' in any form of literature. I just published this hub, because a couple of hubbers requested me to make a list of each day's popular trends - believe it or not, I was requested to make a series out of it. I even tried doing that for two days but then got bored.

I am glad that you guys reminded me about these couple of hubs and I am surely going to delete them after checking with the guys who asked me. Surely, these hubs do not add to my credibillity.

I am an offender no doubt, but spare me from being labelled 'the worst'. smile

46. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Yep, this one is exactly 120 words big_smile
    And several pics lol

47. Hoodala profile image53
    Hoodalaposted 15 years ago

100 of those words are copied from google....Or should I say stolen.

48. Stooge profile image68

P.S. - Misha, I have noticed that you are after my life - did I personally offend you somewhere or is it just my status of the Worst literary offender big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

What made you thinking I am after your life? I have my own, and pretty busy one at that.

However, you happened to become a leader of the group I disagree about this issue, and those hubs Hoodala mentioned don't add neither to your, nor to the whole group credibility.

Leader??... lol big_smile and all this while, I was considering myself a humble soldier.

No more talk of that hub please. I have given the reasons and accepted whatever was there to be accepted.

49. SweetiePie profile image84

Like I said there are nicer ways of telling people things smile.

Was I offensive?

50. SweetiePie profile image84

Not you.  I meant the bringing up of the hubs.  They did not need to do that.  Sorry I was not clear.

I guess they did the right thing. That hub deserved the treatment, although the language could have been a bit modest. Anyway, now that I have given the context of that hub, I hope they will let me wash off some of my sins smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)