jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Probably a dumb question

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image85
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 6 years ago

Today I was reading a good hub on how to do backlinks effectively.  One suggestion of that author is to press the Share button at the bottom of our hub and send it to a few places which she suggests.  I didn't know we could press that Share button at the bottom of our hub.  I thought that was like clicking on our own hub.  I thought we could copy and paste our url over to She Told Me, etc., but not click on Share -- except at the beginning when we've just published a hub and the screen asks if we want to share it.  This would be way easier if we can just press the button at the bottom.  Please advice.  Mahalo.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Indeed you can. It is there for anyone to use, yourself included.

1. Shadesbreath profile image87
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I second this opinion.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There is no problem using the share button - the only thing we can't click is our own adverts.

In fact the share button allows you to include the referral tracker in your address if you're too lazy to add it yourself which is a great bonus. (See darkside's hub on trackers if you don't know what they are.)

1. J@ps profile image75
          J@psposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree with WryLilt.
          Just follow all the great people here in hubpages and you would do just fine.
          Aloha.

3. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Yes, but..

HP staff has pointed out that this can have its bad side too.

For one, seeing too much from HP can cause a site to ban HP for spamming - thereby invalidating all true organic links that are already there or that someone might want to put in the future (an organic link is if I read your hub and like it so much I want to share it with my peeps).

Excessive linking from sites that are themselves considered spammy isn't good for HP either.  The SEO folks here will insist that cannot be true because if it were, a competitor could damage you by placing spamny links.  I tend to agree, but HP staff did express this concern, so they (likely having a very tight relationship with Google because of size) may know things we little folk do not.

I think the first reason is sufficient to discourage this, but I am also sure almost no one else will agree :-)

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's true. If you're going to share your Hubs on social bookmarking sites like Stumbleupon, Digg, Reddit etc, then you must be an active member of those sites and share lots of other stuff as well.  A good rule of thumb is to share about 10 other sites for every one Hub.

On most of these sites, you're not supposed to self-promote. So if you only post your own stuff, you're likely to get banned.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wish people would say that more often..

Though my suspicion is that in practice it just means people grab 10 random things they really don't care about .  Just one of the many reasons I do not like any of those sites and am rather disgusted wuth social networking in general.  But then I am a grumpy gus.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're probably right!  I can't be bothered doing it properly so I don't do it at all.

1. relache profile image85
            relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ditto.  Plus that leaves me so much more time for either making quality content or having a life.

4. nicregi profile image64
    nicregiposted 6 years ago

Definitely you can smile

Just press share and you will find whole lot of sharing sites you can use big_smile

5. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image85
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 6 years ago

Thank you for each of your replies and information.  Very good to know.  I'm pretty well back where I started (LOL) with not enough backlinks.  I wish I'd known about the 60 day challenge in time to try to get in on it. Hopefully, next time....

Thanks again.

working