jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

1. sanfayedr profile image60
    sanfayedrposted 6 years ago

Hi, just really new to hubbing.  My son is a newspaper editor, um maybe did not get the talent from me.
    In any event I am hubbing about kitchen gadgets/tools/equipment.
    I had a kitchen business and know what where I am coming from (plus I am a damned good cook).
    Should I mention this in hubs or just prattle on?
    Should I relate comments re my presentation, style, secrets/traditions/fasmily/preferences outside tools etc? 
    See it's about gadgets/tools not cooking????

1. Lisa HW profile image84
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You could either write only about what you know, and say something like, "Having cooked many meals over the last 30 years, here's what works for me..." (that kind of approach).

Or, you could include what you know (and mention that) but also throw in some researched material about ways other people do things (and tell readers where that came from too).

If information is kind of widely available public knowledge (that most people  dealing with the subject would be likely to know) you don't have to include where it came from.  For example, if you wrote about, say, smoking and said, "Smoking isn't healthy," you wouldn't have to include research to back up that publicly known information; and you wouldn't have to say, "I learned that because my grandfather got sick from smoking."

If you're about what you know about something like "different types of spatulas that are out there", if you know what's out there you know what's out there.  I don't think you have to explain how you know that.

I think, maybe, it would just depend on exactly what you're writing and how you would best help your readers know why you think you know what you're talking about.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

When writing an "advice" hub I sometimes include information on what makes me entitled to give that advice.  History, education, current skills, etc.  Otherwise I don't bother.

3. Richard Craig profile image74
    Richard Craigposted 6 years ago

Hello again Sanfayedr.  Nice to see you made it.

I'd put information like that on your profile page because people will trust you more.  There's no need to keep repeating yourself.

4. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

Say what feels genuine.  Write your hubs as if you were talking to someone you cared about, and include the things that matter to you enough to share them and to make the point you are trying to make in each hub individually.  Just be yourself and be honest.

Do good editing and proofreading so there aren't errors and typos and things that ruin your credibility when you are done.

Additionally, writing this way does not have to conflict with keywords or phrases and trying to title your hub to get Google traffic. 

Just my two cents.