Adsense Ads, have they gone too far?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

For a while now I have seen an increase in certain kinds of advertisements on Adsense which have literally made me want to move to a different publishing platform.

What are these advertisements?

The ads which are targeted based on your past search history.

The reason I hate these are because they are generally ads which would only be useful to a person who had never visited the site before.  However a lot of the time ads like Groupon, Evony, and most recently (in my case) Thesis have been popping up.

On each occasion they appear more frequently AFTER I have visited the site, after which I would have no reason to click on a banner advertisement for it.

Case in point, I recently went on to the thesis website as I was interested in buying their wordpress theme developer package.  However whatever website I go on to now, I see Thesis theme advertisements for their website.

I have already visited the site, I have no reason at all to click on the advertisements, yet Adsense has decided that these are more relevant than contextual ads. 

The bad news is that Google is dead wrong on what interests me. The worse news is if it is happening to me, chances are it is happening to all my other visitors too.

The other annoying thing is of course that lose weight ad which appears everywhere regardless of relevance OR past search history.

Ahem, rant over tongue

I just feel as if it is a waste of space.

1. mailxpress profile image49
      mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I agree.

I listen to a college radio channel and they have a segment speaking about Internet stuff.  They often speak about SE.

Last week the radio channel had a 30 minute discussion about how google places ads they feel your interested in right in front of you.  Needless to say the speaker/DJ whatever you want to call the person disagreed with the way google chooses to put ads in front of you when you do a SE or visit a website.  I happen to find the topic very interesting and here you are speaking about the same topic.

Again, google does not know what I want to visit or view.  You are so right.  I feel it makes Internet browsing less interesting seeing the same ads over and over.  I will never understand why google feel they know me so well.

2. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Well, you may not click on those ads, but a lot of folks do. I looked into that type of advertising a while ago for a client, and as part of that, spoke with some of the advertisers. They did report good success. The basic premise is one of marketing's fundamentals: the more touchpoints that you have with a consumer, the more chance you have of converting them.

Although I have to admit, the first time I came across it I was a bit surprised. I was on a site like urbanlegends[dot]com or something like that, and an ad for Toys R Us popped up--totally not the type of advertiser you would see on that site.

3. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

while having a lot of intake points for an advertiser is good, for publishers such as you and me, and advertisement for say evony s not really worth anything when it is being displayed to people who have already visited the site and made their decision.

In my thesis example for instance, the ads for thesis began to appear AFTER I had already visited the website and had already made my buy/not buy decision.

There is little point in advertising to someone after they have bought a product, and I am seeing increasing examples of where this is happening on the Adsense platform.

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

See, that's where I believe you are wrong (although these really need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis). Putting my 20 years of brand marketing at risk here, not everyone makes a decision right away (particularly women) on whether to make a purchase or not. They may want to comparison shop first, not be financially ready to make that purchase right then, etc.

Think of the whole "mail order catalog syndrome." You get those Lands End or Sharper Image catalogs in the mail and think, "Hey, I really want to go through that. Let me set it aside." Invariably, a month goes by, you've never looked at it and you toss it in the trash.

Why do you think Victoria's Secret sends out almost daily catalogs to those on its list? Because the more touchpoints you have, the more chance you have of making a conversion.

thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But Victoria's secret offers a wide range of varying products which invariably wear out.

While I do see your point of reiterating adverts to people who are hesitant on a buying decision, I think it offers a poor return on advertising space for Publishers (Even if the advertisers get an overall benefit from it).

Say for instance someone is visiting my hub on DS games after searching for Best DS Games.  They see an advertisement for Thesis, after they earlier decided not to buy the Thesis package. 

While it might be good that the advert is there for the Advertiser, for me as a publisher it offers much less relevance to my visitors, I would be much more likely to get clicks from people if advertisements were displayed for DS games.

That is before even considering that the people who are viewing these advertisements have already bought the product.

I am not saying these techniques are a bad form of advertising for the Advertiser, but I feel that as a publisher they are taking up space which could have much more benefit for me with relevant contextual advertisements, not advertisements based on search history.

2. thisisoli profile image70

In the victories secret example,

Say I went in to a store for DS games, went to ask the sales person for some advice, and they handed me a victorias secret catalogue instead, simply because I passed by their store earlier.

I might buy something, but I am much more likely to click on an ad focused on the product I was looking for when I surfed to that page.

1. mailxpress profile image49
          mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The discussion here is teaching me so much.  You two are great.  Your back and forth banter about this topic is eye opening.

2. lrohner profile image67

Good point Oli. Do you know if those ads are paying per click or per impression? If they are impressions (which I think they are, or should be if they're not), then I'm fine with them.

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are not the target market:)

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I'm amazed at how quickly the ads adjust and how little it takes to get them to change. I had a friend email me some vacation pictures, and all I did was look at the email and pictures. For hours after that I all got was travel ads to his vacation spot, whenever I looked at hubs. Kinda creeped me out.

Haha I can see why it would.  That aspect doesn't really bother me though, it's just the thought of the money I am losing that sickens me!

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Oli, why do you think BigG is willing to lose millions just so they force you to lose a few bucks? They get a percentage, don't they? smile

Yep, it is kind of weird and it is the one point of my argument that is probably lacking, why do Google put ads like this up if they don't work?

To be honest I don't know the answer to that, but I distinctly feel as if ads such as this would be a little bit more effective if they were in some way at least a little bit related to my content, rather than what someone was interested in an hour ago.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I am willing to bet that if they consistently put up ads like this they are making more money this way, even though you or people like you are less likely to click those ads. They have the capacity to test, and the incentive to maximize. smile

I really do agree with that statement, but when I logically think about what people on my site are going to click, things seem to fall apart.

Anyway, I am off to enjoy Hollywood! Be back in a bit!

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have fun! smile

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

it does happen quickly.. and is kind of creepy.

I was searching for wedding rehearsal invites and then I kept seeing wedding diva ads on pages that had nothing to do with weddings.

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

This is probably a coincidence but....

I'm an affiliate for Bose music stuff, after I visit their site and work on my affiliate links. I swear that I get more of their commercials on my televsion. I notice it because my ex-dentist is one of their testimonals on he ad. Could they be targeting cable ads this way?

1. lrohner profile image67

Ha! I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Although I'm going to give it all up the day I decide to go and buy Cheerios, and I find an ad for HubPages or something else I do on it. That would really creep me out. smile

Although they already have those types of ads in the stores. You know those video ads that you see as you're walking down aisles? I haven't kept up with the technology, but ten years ago they were testing having those kiosks read the stuff you have in your cart, and target the ads just for you.

8. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 13 years ago

I turned interest based ads off three days ago.  And so far they've been the three best days I've had in ages.* 

* Although with the summer holidays winding down about now it may just be coincidence.

9. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

This is an area that interest me because you have the ability to block different ads that show up, at least on your own sites.

So it seems to me that tweaking the ads that show on your site is something you should do. I recently blocked those grouply or whatever ads from NY on my Orlando tourist site.

Why would they show up on my Florida site? But now is it just me that sees them because I visited a NY website? That makes it hard to know what others are seeing on your site. hmm

10. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I have just been placing my trust in Google to place the right ads because: 1- I have no idea what kind of ads my viewers are seeing; and 2 - once you know about online advertising it makes it really hard to second guess how a regular person might be behaving online.

However, if I see one more advert for Crystal Docks - a webpage someone posted in a comments box in one of my hubs - I might actually lose my mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)