Comment Etiquette

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 15 years ago

This has been discussed a number of times, but I think it's time to bring it up again because lately I've been denying loads of comments that I view as spam. And, just now, I've been told by someone whose comments Ive denied that "hubs are here for comments". No, they aren't. If they were, you wouldn't be able to remove the comment boxes.

That said, many of the comments I deny are perfectly good comments -- but they contain links, which I view as spam. I also deny for other reasons and I'm going to list a few so that some newbies might have a better idea of why some hubbers may be denying their comments. If I've denied your comments in the past because you left links, you are welcome to re-post without them.

1. I almost always deny comments that have links in them. I also almost always deny comments that list web addresses. There are exceptions, of course, but I generally regard posting links in my comments as self-promotion. Some people don't mind -- many of us do.

2. I often leave dissenting comments up, but if the comments are totally ignorant or just rude, I delete them. I realize some keep them regardless; I can't see the point.

3. If your comment is totally off topic, I will probably remove it, as I just did with something someone wrote that was designed to annoy me. I hope it was also designed to make sure I'd never read another comment or hub by that person, because that's what it did.

4. If you've copied and pasted a comment from someone else (this is surprisingly common) I'd view that as spam, too.

1. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So basically what your saying is that you can put up a hub and link to everything possible but the kitchen sink but a person commenting, or rather, having the decency to comment on your page that you begrudge them of having one small link in their post.

Personally, after reading your post here I am glad I have never posted a comment on any of your hubpages. It seems your a one way street sort of person, you know, your way or no way.

I bet you don't have a no follow widget on your blog. Seriously.... take a good look around

Everyone knows, well possibly not everyone, but any advertising is good advertising, where do you draw the line? A thumbs down is worth a lot more than a thumbs up....................

And from a seo perspective you will find that comments actually update your hub, that means new content, and thats what G is looking for. You are doing yourself a dis-favour by procrastinating about how you feel the world should be run.

Accept the lot I say, not the obscene, but if you write a hub bagging someone then let them have the right of reply.

It is totally rude for you to bag someone and when that person comes to defend himself or herself you get great joy out of denying their comment. Thats crap Embitica. I'll write a whole blog on how a woman from Boston knows nothing about Aussie hunks and when you defend yourself,

Oh I'll just hit delete then spammer. Is that ok then? And then spend the rest of the night congratulating myself.

Oh and I'll pour hot chocolate all over myself and squeal with glee.

Isabella Snowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I rarely put links to anything in my hubs.

Pretty much, yes.

I don't.

Comments on my hubs with links to other people's hubs are advertisements for someone else. If you don't get that, ask a four year old to explain it to you.

If I could ever actually be arsed to write a hub bagging someone, I would let them reply. The fact that you've addressed this absurd statement to me only proves that you need to re-read this thread.

2. embitca profile image86
        embitcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Write what you like. I don't read your hubs anyway.

2. MarieLB profile image74
      MarieLBposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Aaaah!!  The price of fame!!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Well, it's your hub. It is up to you what comments you want to keep. If that person doesn't like it...too bad.

If we couldn't delete them we'd be overrun by the idiot commentators you see on many sites such as YouTube.

3. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 15 years ago

I have pretty much the same comments policy as Isabella.  I also delete any comment that asks me how I created that hub.  I figure the forum is for those kinds of questions.

I also feel no need to justify to someone why I delete their comment (I have had people send me messages challenging my decision).  I don't deny comments that disagree with me or could be considered controversial, but if they fall into one of the categories Isabella covered, it's a goner.

4. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 15 years ago

True, but sometimes the comments are really ok -- they just have links. I feel bad denying them, so Im hoping some people will see this and realize that some of us deny for that reason.

Precisely!! wink

5. seohowto profile image62
    seohowtoposted 15 years ago

Well, I did not deny anybody yet, but I 100% agree with Isabella

6. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I haven't had to deny any either. I have allowed hubs with links to their hubs, but I would deny any with links to affiliate sites.

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I do allow some comments with links, but only if it is something directly related to the subject of my hubs (like, it offers more info or a different viewpoint on the same topic).

However, I do not allow links to "Make Lots of Money Online Fast" on my How to Knit hub.

7. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Yes I agree withyou.Linking to own hub is a self promotion. The idea is well accepted among the hubbers.
    jyoti

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Stacie,

Aren't our opinions going to converge shortly? wink It looks really fascinating smile

1. MrMarmalade profile image69
      MrMarmaladeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I do not mind you deleting. I have no worry on that subject.
      I do object to hubs going to the writer, not allowing me to correct my spelling mistakes. Or as Misha pointed out to me one hub 'No Capital letters.'

9. embitca profile image86
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

My comment policies are pretty much the same as Isabella's with one addition.

5. If your comment is longer than my hub, I'm deleting it

One of my timeshare hubs gets timeshare salespeople frothing at the mouth to defend themselves --- some of them are really long-winded. Must be frustrating when I delete their 20 paragraph long rebuttals wink

I've had a couple of those.  Seriously, I think that if someone has such a LONG comment, they need to write a hub!  I did have one that literally had more words than my hub did.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty funny-- and a well deserved deletion! it almost makes me want to write on the subject so I can delete them.

As far as the editing option on comments, I sometimes wish for that , too.
      I'm pretty much an expert at typos-- and I'm trying to be more careful so as not to look like a complete idiot -- sometimes it's hopeless.

3. Lissie profile image76
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

why they are giving you lots of content for free: and making themselves look like idiots in the process 2 positives  Iwould have thought!

1. embitca profile image86
        embitcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hahha! Yes, true, but it is more fun to delete because then I can picture them grinding their teeth and cursing me smile

Honestly though, if I let them all through I'd be in arguments with them every day. So not worth it.

10. topstuff profile image61
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

I never felt any need to deny any comment,comment means to comment if you agree or disagree with others opinion.

Isabella Snowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Leaving links, being rude, catty or otherwise obnoxious has little or less to do with agreeing or disagreeing with someone's opinion.

True. 

As well, there are comments that are obviously spam.  I had a bunch of comments left on one of my hubs by the same person (thanks to our ability to see ip addresses) where they put in different user names talking all about how much they love a boy in a class, fake fighting over the boy.  Funny...the hub was about cooking, not love or dating or anything.  Sure, I could leave the comments, but why would I?  Sure this person has the freedom to state her multiple personality's opinions on this boy, but not on the hub about cooking.

A great thing about hubpages is that we have the ability to moderate our own comments.

11. Bob Ewing profile image64
    Bob Ewingposted 15 years ago

I'll delete spam and rude comments, dissenting opinions are fine, links it depends upon where the link goes, if it adds to the information or discussion fine, if it is spam it is gone.

12. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I no longer delete anything because I learned what may seem like a criticism to me could just be that person's opinion.  Everyone has different opinions so it is interesting to read what everyone has to say.  However, I can understand deleting the comments with links to websites that have nothing to do with the topic of the hub.  Maybe when a comment on a hub comes across as annoying to the writer of the hub it is just the opinion of the reader.  That is what I am trying to learn now.

A few days ago I did delete a few spammy comments with some guy leaving his phone number because I think that sort of comment had no place.

1. funnebone profile image72
      funneboneposted 15 years agoin reply to this

ummm that wasn't my phone number..it was my cell number...I thought we could be pne pals until the parole hearing

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are funny Funnebone, I know that was not you LOL.

13. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I've only had the need to delete 2 comments, both of the type

"Hi, Great Hub.
    Come and visit my moneymaking opportunity at <link>

All other comments so far have been positive.

Maybe I haven't been here long enough to attract the nutters :-)

But when I do, Isabella's model is what I'd use - but if a link was sensible, I'd leave it.

14. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 15 years ago

If the comment is unintelligible (and I've had a couple of those) I'll delete them.

If the comment says "Great Hub! Visit my website!" + link, I'll delete it. Even though all links in the comment sections are no-follow anyway, it's the principle of the thing.

If the comment is off-topic (one hubber here serial comments the exact same comment on a string of hubs at a time), I'll delete it.

Otherwise, I'll usually let the comment pass. I don't have any hard and fast rules. I have the buffer of having to approve my comments anyway, so if they try to spam they won't get immediate satisfaction. :-)

15. quotations profile image87
    quotationsposted 15 years ago

I would add that you have to be careful about the wording of the comment. Even if it is not offsensive, it may affect your search engine standings by diluting your keyword density or introducing new key words that may cause Google etc to list your hub differently. If a comment is overly long this may become a real issue.

16. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

If I recall I have only had to deelte two comemnts. One was double posted and the other contained profanities. I tend to agree with Isabella for the most part.

17. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

I have my quick two cents and they are.
    If you have people writing long-winded arguments, fine but I pray every night for long stimulating comments where the person really has something to say.  Few ever do. 

The other thing is...
    I've recently found myself deleting comments like "I very much like these good hub yoo write."
    I don't know how I feel about it yet, but I just can't see the merit on a comment that says nothing.  For all I know, you didn't even bother to read it.

Am I a snob for doing this?

Especially if this same kind of comment is left by the same person on a bunch of other hubs too.  They probably aren't reading the hubs.

1. DJ Funktual profile image77
        DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's what I thought too.   Thanks Stacie.

All I know is this.   The comments that I get on my Samples Videos on youtube have the most rewarding comments ever simply because the people there know what I'm talking about and they appreciate my efforts to share very rare knowledge.   

Hubpages just has different kinds of people.   Sometimes those people are spammers.

SweetiePie:  I enjoy 'expecting something from people'.   

Wanna tell us again about your opinion?  It's thought-provoking, really.

Do you really honestly want to know?  Well I do not want to go into it really.

18. SweetiePie profile image83

Like I said before, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt with their posts because what may seem like a mediocre post to the writer of the hub may be the best effort to the person reading the hub.  Some of my friends are ESL and do not write English well, so I will accept their posts as they are learning.  Also, I feel everyone usually does have something important to say from their own perspective, but this may mean accepting a comment that is not exactly what you wanted or expected.  Expect less of humans and receive more in return because placing too many expectations on any one thing in life will result in many disappointments.  I do not expect anything from people, thus I am happily surprised when I get a great and insightful comment, but in my opinion most comments people leave are great. Not every comment online or offline is going to be earth moving, so I do not expect this in the comment section of my hub either. However, I see everyone has their own opinion on this matter, so to each his own.  Just a thought, some people may be hestiant to post on certain hubs if they feel the writer is judging them on some criteria.

1. VioletSun profile image76
      VioletSunposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just a thought, some people may be hestiant to post on certain hubs if they feel the writer is judging them on some criteria.>>>

Sweetipie:  When I leave comments, I am doing this because I enjoy the interaction, the giving and also receiving feedback, and also helping the writer's score. If it were ever to become less than fun to interact with the writer of a hub,   I would skip not only the comment field but the hub itself. There are plenty of talented writers in Hubpages that are awesome.

I know there are plenty of awesome writers on Hubpages and I never said anything different smile.  If you read the entire thread you can see what I meant when I wrote this.   What I am trying to convey here is that I feel when someone writes " You write good hubs" that I do not think this is a thoughtless comment.  Some Hubbers have expressed the concern that people who only say "I like your hub" are not reading the hubs, but my thought behind this was how do you know for sure?  Some of my ESL friends are not able to write coherent responses in English, so one of the things they are able to write concisely is "I enjoy your hubs".  A couple times I wrote what I felt was a thoughtful comment and a couple others made me feel differently.  This is what I was conveying here smile.

I know there are plenty of awesome writers on Hubpages and I never said anything different smile.  If you read the entire thread you can see what I meant when I wrote this.   What I am trying to convey here is that I feel when someone writes " You write good hubs" that I do not think this is a thoughtless comment.  Some Hubbers have expressed the concern that people who only say "I like your hub" are not reading the hubs, but my thought behind this was how do you know for sure?  Some of my ESL friends are not able to write coherent responses in English, so one of the things they are able to write concisely is "I enjoy your hubs".  I myself do not always do that, but on one thread someone stated that I did not have anything to say when I said I like someone's poem which was very offensive to me.  Whereas I understand it is every Hubbers right to delete those comments, I do not think a general statement of someone saying they like your hub means he or she did not read it.  Some people just are not able to think of more profound things to say and I will make sure I never only say that on someone's hub since this comment seems too generic to some Hubbers.  This is what I was conveying here

Oh, no, no, I was agreeing with you! smile I was responding to your comments after I read various posts and reached yours;  I think being relaxed and having fun with hubpages is the way to go, ( at least for me)  so a general comment such as "great hub" is fine with me! Its true, there are many friends who speak English as a second language, and I am one of them. wink

Sorry if I did not get what you meant smile.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this issue.  You are right, Hubbing is about interaction and what we get in return.

Sorry if I did not get what you meant smile.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this issue.  You are right, Hubbing is about interaction and what we get in return.>>>

No problem! Online communication  can be tricky sometimes. LOL!

Yes, so I am seeing!  However, it is also fun too smile.

19. SweetiePie profile image83

Or maybe they just cannot think of anything better to say.  Anyway, I would not delete a comment just for saying that.  Just my opinion.

And you are entitled to your opinion.  Just as I am to mine.  As the author of my hubs, I get to choose what I allow and do not allow.  Just as each author has that choice about their own hubs.

20. SweetiePie profile image83

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion that is why I said just my opinion smile.

21. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

I have been lucky so far and not had anything I would consider deserving of deletion but if I get any obvious spam it will be got rid off!

22. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

Checkmate.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)