How long before backlinks kick in?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I've been trying to get a particular article on the first page of Google ever since I made it. It's on the 3rd page now, going up and down that page.

I've been making backlinks to it, around a dozen by now. It does not seem to be moving much. So, just how long does it take for backlinks to kick in?

I only made this article a few weeks ago BTW. Would it also help to make related articles and link them to this one? smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How long is a piece of string? I have keywords that took me over a year of link building to get where I wanted them. It usually takes around three months for anything to work fully - or rather to get the best from it that you are going to get.

A dozen might be enough in three months time - depending on the competition.

I like to build several articles around a subject linking to my main page.

2. profile image56
      RakhiChowdharyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, building links should not be very fast, but gradual and search engine like Google keep track of backlinks you build and nearly after 3months results start coming. It all depends on the competition and search of the keyword/key phrases you are focusing.

3. Garrett Mickley profile image79
      Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lot of factors come in when involved in backlinking.

1. How long your page has been up.
      2. How many backlinks go to it.
      3. What the PR of those backlinks is (a PR1 backlink isn't going to do near as much as fast as a PR3).
      4. How long it takes Google to index those backlinks (can vary depending on the site they're on).

There's more factors I'm sure someone else can list for you but these are what I came up with off the top of my head.

4. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've read to the end,and now I want to back to the beginning.
      In my experience, it takes 2/3 months minimum for the places you backlinked to, to give you backlinks.

2. Bill Manning profile image68

Ahhh ok, so I'm expecting too much too soon. I'll add a link or two a week then and just keep slowly building it up. Thanks. smile

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I've kinda given up on backlinks (except for the occasional one thrown out when I'm bored.)

Hubpages seems to have this amazing ability to self promote. So I just keep writing and articles slowly increase in traffic over time.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q245/calala_red/40ways.jpg

1. Kidgas profile image62
      Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think wrylit is on to something.  Personally, I feel that you can either go with backlinks to target a particular article or you can simply publish like mad which has a similar effect on overall traffic.  Two different ways to skin a cat.

2. IzzyM profile image87

"Hubpages have this amazing ability to self-promote."

Try a domain age of 9, usually in the region of 3,500,000 pages on the domain, around (or just under) 1,000,000 pages with external links pointing to the domain, being listed on the Open Directory Project and  being listed on the Yahoo! directory.
      What a huge platform!
      OK ezine is higher, but they don't offer us the same ability to write, include pictures, videos etc, at least not in my experience.
      This is an amazing platform!

Backlinking can help it rise quicker, but if you write a good article, rich with content, with on-page optimization, it will get there anyway, in its own time.

4. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

My poetry hubs were getting almost zero traffic (as one might expect I think)  to see what would happen I trialed the idea of backlinks by just posting a couple of hubs up on stumbleupon. Those specific hubs have shown a definate and constant increase in traffic, if I tell you that I now get 10 visits a day you will laugh, but when I tell you this is a 300% increase you will see that this is a significant gain (and then fall about laughing) big_smile

5. Spacey Gracey profile image38
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Bill - have you checked the PR, number of backlinks and relevancy of the pages listed before yours for the search terms you are targeting? If everything on the first page has a 100+ links its gonna take you a long time -I'm not saying it's impossible, but knowing what the competition is doing will give you a heads up.

1. katiem2 profile image61
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point Spacey Gracey.  Links are a powerful tool we often don't want to be ontop of but make a big difference.

Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I ignore those stats, and here's why. I just started playing with Market Samurai.

I did some testing and found dozens that show 500 to over 1,000 backlinks, high PR and all that other good stuff for some of my key words.

GUESS WHAT? With only a dozen or so backlinks and a PR of 1, I am the #1, 2 or 3 listing on the first page of google for those key words in my own websites!!!!!

SOOOOO, that tells me those stats are highly flawed. I'm sure they have value, but more likely than not they just scare you into thinking you can't compete with them.

You really should not put much faith in those stats. Stick to real, solid numbers like search engine traffic per month and so on. The rest is very, very unreliable.

If I believed those, then I would never have had dozens of first page listings as I would have never tried for them. smile

1. rb11 profile image65
          rb11posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Backlinks are a funny game, if you check a site on 5 different backlink checkers you might get 5 different answers. Yahoo is probably the most reliable source to check your backlinks.

There are a few other factors about backlinks, are they indexed? Are they follow? Is the source from which they came giving a lot of backlinks?

Market Samurai and sources like these, when your doing link competition analysis you may be seeing thousands of links, but it might be a number for the overall website. That site may be ranking for the keyword your going for because of the sites overall strength. In this case it won't take 1000 backlinks to beat it. To get a true reading of their strength for that keyword you need to isolate that page and see how their tags, keywords and linking structure is for that particular url.

2. arthriticknee profile image67
          arthritickneeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bill
          If you are using Market Samurai you are prbably looking at domain backlinks versus page backlinks.
          Some pages will be part of a larger domain with thousands of backlinks. The actual page you are competing against will have next to none.
          The google algorithm works on many factors, being part of a massive domain helps, but if you are going head to head with a single page on that domain with few backlinks you can win with a bit of work.
          If this were not the case places like Amazon would be top for everything. They have tons of backlinks to Amazon.com but very few to specific pages. If I see an amazon page in the top 10 I quickly check the page backlinks and if it has less than 5 this is actually a good sign that a well optimized hub can take it down and competition isn't too tough.
          Deselect domain backlinks on Market Samaurai and see if things make more sense.

6. Spacey Gracey profile image38

That's interesting to read Bill. I use SEO quake on firefox to assess the competition and have had most success where competition is zero.

Have you had that kind of success with HP or just your own websites?

I've read about priority being given to fresh content, so maybe the G-machine is giving you a chance, then if people are flocking to your site, it thinks you are worth keeping up there on the front page?

Maybe I should be bold and try something with competition, just to see what happens.

I seem to have better luck with articles on my own site. However when I make hubs about the same thing, I often see both my hub and my own article page show up side by side.

Perhaps a persons writing style has a lot to do with it. smile

7. Bill Manning profile image68

Just a little more about those stats I see that are flawed. MS shows a site with 1,480,000 backlinks. My site where the keyword is shows I have 581 backlinks.

They are 4 years older than me, and have a PR of 1, mine has a PR of 0.

I rank #ONE in google for that key word, and have been there for over a year!

So please, don't put too much into those stats. smile

1. Kidgas profile image62
      Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate this information and have wondered about the reliability of many of those so-called statistics.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bill, I'm so glad to hear you say that.

As you know, I blog about dancing and I'm not interested in changing that.  When I ran my topics through Market Samurai, I just ended up being totally demoralized because of the thousands of backlinks other sites already had.

I signed up for the longer trial of MS but the extension doesn't seem to have worked because I can't get it working now - and I'm going to stop worrying about it.

The only things I pay attention to in MS is the keywords, how much traffic it has, what adsense pays for it and the total global number of pages there are that has it.

Once you get those looking good just go for it. At the least that is way, way better than just guessing. smile

8. Spacey Gracey profile image38

I have noticed I can jump over the competition with one good backlink, when they have 9 links from RSS feeds. But I really am still pretty clueless. I seem to have a forumla that is working for me and I'm sticking to it, while reading what everyone else is doing.

Thanks for sharing Bill (and others) - every day on HP is an education.

1. rb11 profile image65

One good backlink is worth hundreds (if not thousands) of average ones. I had a dead hub on cell phones, then one day it came to life. I checked, someone had linked back to it from a wikipedia page in Canada. That is the only link to this hub, it gets about 50 - 100 visits daily from that one and only backlink. Figure that...

9. Spacey Gracey profile image38

I bet you did a little dance of thanks - I'm going to send positive vibes to Wikipedia right now and hope someone wants to put on a link about Squinkies smile

1. rb11 profile image65

It sure was an eye opener on the power of backlinks, and ones especially from strong sites. Someone said once "If an average guy had a date with Pamela Anderson, his popularity would go up 20 fold" The same point applies to rankings, I didn't truly understand this until the wikipedia thing happened. I need more dates with wikipedia, she won't return my calls yet.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are wikipedia links 'dofollow'?

I've never thought about them for backlinking but do people actually write on there for backlinks? I'm sure they must.

Although the whole "very technical, all  referenced" style of wikpedia scared me off from ever writing on there.

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have several links from Wikipedia, but I did not put them there.

2. rb11 profile image65

The wiki link where someone kindly linked to my Hub is
          http://wiki.ucalgary.ca/page/T16_Group_ … leen,_Owen

It is a dofollow link.It's under benefits and detriments
          You can check to see if links are dofollow by highlighting the link, then right click and and hit view page source. If rel=nofollow you have your answer.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some people try, but they usually end up getting deleted by other editors.  Or they used to - these days Wikipedia is short of editors so things are getting a bit out of control.

Wikipedia doesn't allow "commercial" links.

10. strutzas profile image60
    strutzasposted 13 years ago

lol. such generic answers ;0)

The optimization forums, blogs, and Google are all striking fear in the hearts of seo men and women.  The truth of the matter is that unless you step outside the box and start testing multiple ideas, then you won't be familiar with some powerful and easy was to this, often costing less than $10 even for semi-competitive keywords.  I won't tell.  Hehehe.  Send me a private message if you want and we can talk more.  Jack

11. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I am surprised at that, because wikipedia do not allow outgoing links (in the main).

What do you mean Izzy? All the links at the bottom of wiki articles send you to sites?

1. IzzyM profile image87

They usually only give links to sites that are ..what is the word...authorities in the area.
        I'm not saying pcunix hasn't got authoritative sites. I'm only aying that it is very difficult for wikipedia to accept sites as they don't generally allow links.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

2. Pcunix profile image91

Well, that is the answer.  The articles of mine that they have linked to ARE authoritative.  It is as simple as that,

But again, I didn't add them.  Whoever wrote the articles did and they have survived review for years now.

That is what gets missed here so often.  The best linking is when real people honestly promote your stuff, not because they know you, not because you did something for them, but because they think your page is good.   You don't get that from spending your days pasting your links here there and everywhere; you get that by writing great content and that is the ONLY way you get it.

But I know that isn't anything anyone wants to hear.

Well I agree there. One of my articles I'd definitely call "The best of its kind on the internet on that subject" (see graph further above.) Without promotion it slowly goes up, and links seem to appear in quite a few related forums and sites.

1. Pcunix profile image91

Well, as I said, nobody wants to hear that.  What they want to hear is that you go create a lousy piece of pablum that nobody wants to read and then go create an account at this place and add a bunch of spammy links and then go to that place and do the same and then buy this magic piece of software that helps you do even more spamming and pretty soon you'll be rich.

Nobody wants to know about actually having a creative THOUGHT, about actually KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT rather than cribbing it from Wikipedia, about actually being able to write a coherent sentence and paragraph.  Nobody wants to hear that you should be thinking about the people who will actually READ the stuff you write.

Nope.   Just pump out another "me too" piece of junk and promote it like mad.   Oh, and don't forget to be PROUD of the garbage you are adding to the Web - oops, no, that's not part of it either, is it?

I am glad to see your hub(s) is(are) growing, WryLilt.  Good on you and may you have many more.

LoL well I'm still fresh enough to 'net money to try and tell them.

And thanks. I have so much original content in this brain it just spills out. I even find myself 'accidentally' writing hubs.

I want to try for 250 by Christmas. Although I'm also starting to write for some other sites, which I've been putting off (because hubpages is awesome) but I want to get as many income streams as possible going.

2. profile image0
        TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, they only allow authority sites, one time i tried putting a link there but it has been deleted immediately.

12. ishwarya_p profile image40
    ishwarya_pposted 13 years ago

Its depends from where you get backlink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)