jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Amazon Restrictions

1. passthejelly profile image81
    passthejellyposted 6 years ago

Does anyone know why Amazon is not allowed in Colorado? Also if it will be allowed in eventually. Thanks smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Taxes. Amazon has been dropping states that have introduced laws requiring Amazon (and others) to declare and pay sales tax on any referrals from affiliates in that state.

Unlikely to be over turned until they work out the completely obvious fact that they will lose more money in lost income taxes than they will gain in sales tax.

No one ever accused politicians of being good at anything other than persuading peopel to vote for them. sad

1. I am DB Cooper profile image65
        I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Indeed, the politicians are misguided on this issue. The effort it takes Amazon to drop all affiliates in a state is nothing compared to the headaches they'll incur collecting taxes on all sales from that state. It's a lose/lose/lose situation, where affiliates are made worse off by getting dropped, Amazon is made worse by not having affiliates to help sell their products, and states are made worse by not being able to collect income tax from affiliates AND still not being able to collect sales tax from Amazon.

2. passthejelly profile image81
        passthejellyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the info.  It really is a shame that I can't have Amazon on my account.  I really hope this issue gets resolved..

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
          Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Write to your Senator or Congressman in that case. Because if you do nothing - it is not going to get resolved any time soon.

2. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

It's not about the headache they'll incur. Amazon is more than capable of easily collecting taxes.

It's the cost they incur. Right now they have the advantage of being a tax free haven for their customers. The law establishes the affiliate as the local presence in the state - which triggers the sales tax on out-of-state merchants, that otherwise have no presense.

RI, NY, and NC are the other states that have adopted what is known as the affiliate nexus law. California is considering such legislation. And now the states of Georgia and South Carolina have started holding hearings this week on a similar bill.

This legislation has been successfully blocked in other states. Here's a link to an affiliate association that is helping affiliates. http://www.performancemarketingassociation.com/

3. writeonbro profile image62
    writeonbroposted 6 years ago

Every Hubber will be affected by the current legislation that is in Congress. We can't complain about it if we don't nip this thing in the bud.

They are collecting more than enough of our hard earned cash for taxes! Internet sales shoudl be way for consumers all over the world to make tax free purchases. 

Go sign on the petition or get more info to write your Congreesman, before it's too late.

<link snipped, no promoting links in forums>

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
      DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm--I thought it was no SELF promoting links....this was a very useful and relevant link about important action to protect the interests of Hubbers and others who may actually sell items online.

Glad I read it and bookmarked it before someone snipped it out!!

To whomever did the snipping--please re-consider & replace--it was a very important reference!

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

UGH!   Politicians are nothing if not stupid!  (And greedy, and short-sighted!--Pretty much, if their mouth is moving, they're lying!)

I was going to ask about being an Amazon affiliate, but I am in CA, and if they, too are considering such a nonsensical law, then it is a moot point.

However, just in case--my question is this:

If someone signs up as a Amazon affiliate, does Amazon place the ads on the hubs, or must the author go select and place via the "photo" capsules, various items which relate to the particular hub??

Thank you!