jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

Rated up...or down...and how often?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image91
    Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago

Here's a suggestion, or more of a question:
    Is there some reason why we can't see how often our individual hubs have been rated up or down?

I don't think it would be productive for us to see who rated our hubs one way or another, but I've often wondered if a given hub had been rated up more often than down, or down more often than up, or rated at all.

So far, the only way we can know is if someone tells us in the comments.

Does anyone else think it'd be useful to see the "rated up rate" and the "rated down rate" in with the other feedback?

Why? Why not?

1. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That info used to be viewable but so many Hub users became obsessive about it (and it's really a minor part of ratings), so HubPages removed that information from the stats dashboard.

Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Fair enough. Thanks!

2. Whitney05 profile image64
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

I'm a little tired of this being asked... :-/

Like Relache said... It was once available and caused more stress on everyone. The team got rid of it.

"I'm a little tired of this being asked... :-/"

If it's asked so frequently, maybe it should be answered in the FAQs?

Just saying...smile

1. PegCole17 profile image90
        PegCole17posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Indeed - that's what frequently asked FAQs would be good for. lol Where else would it go?

3. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I think I prefer to remain in ignorant bliss over my individual Hubs.   smile  (Or course, I wouldn't mind it if HubPages named names when it comes to who rates what down!!  mad   Oh...just kidding, of course.   smile  )    (but not about the ignorant-bliss thing)

4. Whitney05 profile image64

What good would it do in the FAQs? For 1) there's not an official FAQ section and for 2) people still ask stuff that is in the Help section.

The search box is to prevent repetitive questions.

"1) there's not an official FAQ section"

Not to be a wiseacre, but why then does this page say "Frequently Asked Questions" at the top in great big print?

"2) people still ask stuff that is in the Help section."
      Maybe, but if the answer to this (apparently) frequently asked question were in the help section (which for some reason has the words "Frequently Asked Questions" at the top in great big letters), it would have saved you the irritation of having someone getting on your nerves by asking that same darn question. Again.

Look, I don't mind not being allowed to see that stat, especially after Relache's excellent answer to my perfectly understandable question. Further, I greatly appreciate Relache's answer, since apparently others have asked the question before (though I did not see the question in the FAQ, and I didn't see it in my admittedly brief search of the forum's history).

What I object to is being spoken to as if I were a nuisance rather than a valued member of the site.

1. Aficionada profile image92
        Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

But you absolutely are a valued member of the site!!! For many reasons, not the least of which is the side-splitting way you wrote this:

Loved it.  Still do, and I'll probably come back to it again when I need another chuckle.  I love Whitney too, even on her occasionally cranky days.  Who doesn't have those?

Aw, shucks. smile

2. 0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There are two different kinds of novelty: Objective novelty (that which is truly new) and subjective novelty (that which is new to a person). In this case, there was subjective novelty in your question, as it was new to you. Since you have learned something - as have others - the thread has been valuable.

If only questions that had objective novelty were asked, the threads would be few and short.

5. Whitney05 profile image64

I view that as the Help Section, since it's in the 'HELP' tab. Sorry that I miss that title at the top, considering anyway that the entire section is about how to work HP and understand it not really a place to find quick answers. Anytime I have to find something there I have to search forever, but even still, there's a search feature for a reason. It's meant to search something to see if it's been previously asked.

I actually have few cranky days, just tired of seeing the same questions asked. Oh well, nothing I can do about it I guess. I mean goodness, Relache typically isn't the nicest person here, and her answer was loved in this case.  Just a matter of how people take the answers they're given.

1. Aficionada profile image92
      Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

True, and no offense intended at all (on my part).  I think all of us get tired of seeing the same questions asked over and over.  You and relache, having been here longer, have seen repetitions of many questions that Jeff and I haven't seen yet.  And both of you, I believe, are astute enough to avoid completely the threads that ask the questions we newer folk see repeated all the time now - that is, the ones that we would find irritating.  Maybe we'll catch up - or not.  It really does help (or "Help"?) to know the history behind some of the features that seem like good ideas but which may have been tried and  dropped, as is the case here.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes Whitney, I don't often see you being cranky!  I know I can be terse when someone asks a question about the very basics, so it's obvious they haven't made any attempt to find out themselves - but I do try to be more patient with other questions.  After all, as you say yourself:

It can be hard to check for old threads on a topic because you don't know what words other people used to ask the same question.

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Anyone would think people were forcing you to answer questions ...

working