Hub Scores are in the tank and getting worse

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Lincoln Armstrong profile image60
    Lincoln Armstrongposted 16 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Why_is_my_Computer_so_Slow

Been in the mid-90s for oh, 2-3 months.  Now at 88 and dropping like a rock.  This is my #1 traffic hub almost every day.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How_much_RAM_sh … puter_have

has half the traffic and a score of 86

http://hubpages.com/hub/The_Cheetah_Fas … _the_World

Dropped 12 points earlier this afternoon after I added a new picture of a cheetah running.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Professional_Vi … uter_Games

Down 14 points since Monday. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/The_Monterey_Ba … e_Exhibits

Down 16 points since Monday. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Southern_Califo … Zuma_Beach

has nearly as much traffic as 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Nintendo_Wii_It_Isnt_Hype

but has a score 25 points lower. 

Now I'm the last person to complain, but I'm fairly certain hubscores play a significant role in the performance of our pages at least within the Hubpages site.   Apart from the tools provided, I really don't see any way to improve our hub scores, but at the same time, there also seems to be no way to stop hubs from losing huge percentages of scores they've maintained pretty reliably for some time. 

This also makes it very difficult to improve my account score, which also limits traffic.  Is there anything we can do to improve these scores or at the very least stop them from dropping so much? 

neutral

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

When this sort of thing happens, you might consider that you just added something that made the hub more common, not more unique.  Remember, HubPages rewards hubs that are more original, not more derivative.

2. Lincoln Armstrong profile image60

Is this problem unique to my articles?   My overall traffic has declined by over 15% in the last two weeks.   Is there a way to reverse this trend?  Am I doing something with these hubs that is resulting in a lower score or lower search traffic? 

What am I missing here? 

neutral

3. jstankevicz profile image74
    jstankeviczposted 16 years ago

Hub ranks will sort themselves out I imagine. I'd be more concrened about traffic, and specifically Google search generated traffic. This has tanked over the last week. Pages that used to get more Google views than HubPage views now depend on Hubbers for traffic. Hubber traffic is great. I miss the added Google search traffic. It might just be me, but I suspect that Google has turned down our volume, literally.

4. GreatTattoosNow profile image58
    GreatTattoosNowposted 16 years ago

Hi there jstankevicz-

I think you are right.  I have not noticed my hubpage scores dropping much as long as my content is orginal and unique it seems to work itself out over time.

However, in the last week or so my traffic dropped significantly.  It was probably cut in half or so.  I have been doing pretty detailed reaserch and following this kind of closely.  It seems that google was the main difference in my traffic as google is sending about half as much  When checking the SERPS pages for my keywords a lot of my hubs are not showing up.  I also am not finding many links to my hubpages in google either.  I wonder if Hubpages has suffered from the Google Slap.

Squidoo went through a serious google slap about two week ago and I am wondering if hubpages is experiencing the same thing.  Google is getting ready to do it's next big PR update and I wonder if that has had any effect on this.

Anyone else out there experiencing a drop in traffic.

1. bestfreeware profile image39
      bestfreewareposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have a page which was on first page of google, it has totally disappeared. They are now only showing the big institutional sites. This is unfair: the same bankers are behind these sites and google.

Google is also unfair because they own Blogger. I wonder when webmasters will dare to revolt one day against this anti-competitive scheme.

1. spuds profile image59
        spudsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have suspected for a long time that Google give blogs hosted at there own blogger.com service a nice wee boost in search results. As for Google giving preference to the big instituional sites, it sucks! I wonder if some money has been passed there way.

5. Moonmaiden profile image69
    Moonmaidenposted 16 years ago

This problem has been addressed in other forum threads and I believe there will be a turn around soon. Don't lose faith.

6. Lincoln Armstrong profile image60

I may not be fully understanding the Hubscore process.  All I really did was replace a picture of a cheetah standing with a picture of a cheetah running.  And 12 points disappeared.   

This hub is still trying to recover those points, and its no slouch as far as traffic is concerned.   It's my #7 hub for weekly traffic.  This happens with new hubs too.  If too much time is spent editing them, they start with a score of 36, or lower, instead of 50. 

It's no big thing, obviously.  The scores all even out eventually.   smile

7. profile image0
    WMF1125posted 15 years ago

I find this whole hub score thing interesting. To me, it's just a score and it really doesn't do anything. So, if you don't mind me asking, why are you so concerned? Is it because you receive money from ad-sense?

I understand that it's nice to have people reading your posts. So if the score on your page indicates your ranking popularity and readership, then I guess that's something to be concerned about; however, there is nothing that states that this is what those scores really mean.

Can anyone verify this?

I'm new to the site.

8. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4668

It is all here.

Although, I am keen to know why you dragged this thread up after it was buried and finished 9 months ago? Just curiosity really. It must have been buried back on the 300th page or something.

9. qatarvisitor profile image60
    qatarvisitorposted 15 years ago

I know google updated its pr recently and I suspect they may have tweaked their algorithm. We had a page rank cut from 5 to 4 on our website, but at the same time we moved up from position five to number one for one of our main key words, Qatar Guide. Don't know if this has anything to do with it... I wonder if they are starting to put less emphasis on links and more on visitor behaviour?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)