Finally cracked Amazon, pheewwww

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Some may remember that I was going to publish 90 sales pages by the end of September, and I have nearly finished smile

I finally feel as if I have mastered the art of picking a product, winning traffic to the Amazon page, and slowly my conversion rates are heading upwards.... towards one which can be described as 'pretty good'.

On the whole, I am still getting it wrong. But finally I am seeing Amazon become an important revenue stream for me.... $227 last month, $162 halfway through this month, and it looks as if I will finally reach that 7% threshold for the first time (I came very close last month).

And all just in time for Xmas smile

How is everybody else getting on with Amazon?

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was doing great last month for sales, and then this month my unique visitors are up more than 60%, but my sales have dropped. 

I am torn on whether I should make changes to my work.  I think that the big part of my job is to get people to the amazon page through my link - and that has been rising a lot.

Or, if I should quit worrying and just be patient!

2. muratos profile image59
      muratosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First of all congrats to you and welcome to Amazon winners club smile)

I had started long time ago with other income sources like Adsense, clickbank, CJ network but now almost all my efforts are concentrated on Amazon. It is the best one, especially when you reach the big sale quantities. Getting 8% or more is not a dream.

Surely, Hubpages is not my only source for Amazon but Hubpages perfectly converts on some specific niches.

Keep on working.. You also motivated me to write more here. smile)

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Way to go Ryan big_smile

I'd got a grip on it when I did the first 60DC. I handn't perfected the technique but now I'm fairly sure I have. My technique and one that works for me, at least.

I would prefer (of course) to wring it's neck, in order that I make even more money. I still don't have 90 odd Amazon hubs but I will soon, and more. It's my current new favourite thing to do. If you take out the monotony, frustrating attempts at locating exactly what I need to showcase and so forth.

Again - congrats. How's life at home in a chair suiting you so far? smile

3. iantoPF profile image79
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

Got Amazon on al of my Hubs and on my blog but I haven't seen a penny from them yet. I sent an e-mail to customer support asking them to let me know if I was doing something wrong. I got a reply that said everything looked ok and they thanked me for my patience. Oh well.

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ian you need to remember that with Amazon - you're selling a product, albeit by way of pointing your reader in the right direction. So sell ... be direct but not pushy. 'Talk' about the product or products.

Describe it, make it tasty ... factor in that those reading your Amazon hubs are looking to buy. You just need to convince them that they absolutely should smile

2. muratos profile image59
      muratosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the general tactics is to show the advantages of the product first, then a few minor cons to contribute to honesty a bit. after this, a brief re-rewrite of amazon product information. if you make a list of best, top rated etc. it works better although it takes more time to write for each section.

by the way, it is very hard to sell in unrelated articles except a few luck sales. i think most of your hubs simply do not sell something.

4. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I haven't really put a lot of effort into Amazon, I have it on a lot of my hubs and have had plenty of clicks, just still haven't had a product order yet!
    I haven't really been inspired by it since I heard it takes a while to get paid? and sometimes people cancel their orders
    Your proof of hundreds a month is inspiring though, maybe you can answer some of my questions above?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Richie, I set my threshold to $1000 and haven't reached that yet. Although yes, I can see it takes a couple of months for money to appear cleared. I havent had many returns though, perhaps 4 since I started. Normally this is as a result of people accidentally buying 2 of the same product and subsequently returning 1.

1. Richieb799 profile image75
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah cool, I've joined Redgage, I'm hoping that will provide some kind of back up in case something ever happened to Adsense..its hard juggling them all though isn't it! lol

5. Garrett Mickley profile image77
    Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years ago

I have not made any money on Amazon.  I'm not really trying, but I don't know what to do to be successful, so I wouldn't even know where to start.  I do make sure to put an amazon module in all of my hubs though.

6. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Oh yeah - forgot to add ... only two products have been returned. And the payment is two months behind but once you've got consecutive months clearing the payment threshold, you receive a check (or whatever) every month smile

7. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

You've certainly done a good thing then Ryan!

Once you get to a level like that it's best to focus on more and I'm sure you will and the laptop series was a good example of your efforts!

As mentioned in another thread, I do a lot of video reviews now, I've got 3 main Youtube accounts which do review after review on various things and of course I put an affiliate link at the beginning of the descriptions.....

For me, I have a feeling I will smash my monthly Amazon record with an accumulated effort...

Well done on your Amazon earnings.....life's grand when you've earnt it yourself!

8. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

HY folks. I am similar to mutiny92, my views have gone up and sales are going down a wee bit, but I am anticipating them going up, as I am better matching the products to what I am writing and "persuading" people to buy. Some folks don't like the hard sell. They prefer to be "shmoozed" into buying a book or other item on Amazon. LOL. Amazon is a definite winner however. If anyone has a website where they can promote Amazon goods on it, then all the better. "Blogger.com" is a peach, and it deff helps me out. But nothing beats having your own Amazon "store". Glad to see there are others ding well from the Mighty A!

CG

9. geargirl113 profile image61
    geargirl113posted 13 years ago

That is awesome to read. I just finally started to see some sales from Amazon so I can not wait until I reach where you are.

10. Mieka profile image62
    Miekaposted 13 years ago

I checked my Amazon account today for the first time in about 4 months, and it said I now have 9,46. I know it sounds like nothing to you guys, but i was very happy, because before I had only a couple of cents. There is definitely progress here, time to start writing again!

11. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Glad your doing well with them. I never had much luck with Amazon, but I think that was because of lack of traffic.

I also did not know how to write targeted articles. Now that I do I think I will put Amazon links back into my hubs, at least the product type ones. smile

12. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I am loving Amazon right now. I have already made more this month than I did in the whole of last month.

Ryan - have you found a good bank account to pay the cheque into that won't charge too much for receiving dollars? I keep meaning to do some research into it but I still haven't got round to it and I should be getting a check soon.

1. profile image0

My HSBC current account charges £9, which with my payout of $1000 (when I get there) won't cause too much damage.

That leaves me with £657 instead of £666, which is probably a good omen wink

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try these guys. Horrible customer service, but you can open a dollar account, pay no fees and transfer to pounds at your leisure.

http://www.citibank.co.uk/

Truly horrible customer service though. I despise them, but needs must. sad

13. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I have found a few with a £10 charge - I was hoping for a miraculous £0 charge account.

My first check will be around £300 so £10 isn't too painful. Wish I could've been more patient and waited another month or so but I just really needed something tangible for all my efforts.

Maybe your pay-in should be £666 - your profile pic looks just like the devil dog off Little Nicky!

14. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 13 years ago

Way to go, Ryan!!!!  That is awesome!  As for me, I don't really write things that are product targeted, so my Amazon earnings have been a little sluggish.  I checked it yesterday and I was at about $31.  Not bad, had a few sales recently, and so far, not a single return.  I might try some product targeted hubs, though I don't really have a passion for that sort of thing.  It might take a good deal of motivation to do a lot of that sort of thing.  I write what I want, and here and there, people manage to buy stuff that is on my Amazon capsules.  Yay for me!!

15. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

Ryan, I'm going to look at your product Hubs. I still have only ever made one sale on Amazon and earned a 36 cent commission. I have a dozen or so pure product Hubs and I've reworked a couple lately. I looked to check my coding.

But I'm going to write another dozen or so product Hubs for the remainder of this month. Glad you shared your experiences.

Also, do you an Amazon astore? Do you link to that from your Hubs as well?

16. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Impressive! You go Ryan!

17. caninecrtitics profile image62
    caninecrtiticsposted 13 years ago

I hate it I write the product hubs and get trickled traffic have any suggestions Ryan

1. profile image0

Not really no, I have written 472 hubs, occassionally they work. When they do work, which is not very often, you keep them secret. Thats about as far as it goes really.... keep writing... you will hit a few jackpots, when you do keep them hush. Most of my sales pages dont sell anything, I dont dwell on it, I just write another 20... one of them will work...

18. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

Ryan, I want to say how I appreciate your enthusiasm! I often think about what you write in the forums.

19. europewalker profile image77
    europewalkerposted 13 years ago

Very encouraging, Great work!

20. Andrew0208 profile image57
    Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

That's quite impressive. I made my ever first Amazon sale on the 1st of September 2010 (0.40 cents) since over 2 yrs in HubPages. May be I need to get some things right, or is it sensitive to writing more hubs? smile I mean the conversion seems to be very low compared to Adsense, because Adsense works pretty well for me on a steady monthly pay check.

21. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

Congrats Ryan! It's a nice feeling, isn't it? I think getting the traffic is the most important part. I'm only a smidge behind you atm, at $150, and last month I almost cracked the 7% barrier, only needing 5 more, and netted just above $280. Let's hope we both make the big one this month.

It can be really exciting to log in and see the orders and the total go up and up. I don't have near the amount of hubs you do, approximately 65 all targeted to Amazon (I plan to make it a clean 100 by the end of the year). So, it can be done with a little research, some backlinking, and luck helps!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)