jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)

$25 commissions for a $2349 Macbook Pro

1. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

Great hmm

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

lucky you, I think?

I mean wow, a huge sale and the commission is OK but not really great is it?

3. CASE1WORKER profile image85
    CASE1WORKERposted 6 years ago

seems rather stingy of them

4. 60
    MyPostingIDposted 6 years ago

Yeah, kinda sucks that they cap computers and some other certain categories at $25.  Just sell a few per day.  Works for me. cool

I've also started experimenting with Commission Junction.  You might want to consider that if you are looking for longer cookies and no caps.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well actually I do sell a fair few laptops, but $25 for a $599 Toshiba never feels quite as evil as $25 for my biggest ever sale!

Luckily, the purchaser appears to have bought a new OS and an expensive laptop carrier, so another $10 thrown on top.

1. EmpressFelicity profile image84
        EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I see what you mean lol.

All's well that ends well - congratulations Ryan.

I made just under $13 last month on Amazon.  Which isn't all that much, but it's way more than I've ever made in one month before.  I think it's actually got more potential than Adsense (for me anyway), but the problem I find is thinking up stuff to sell that hasn't already been done to death!

5. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

Amazon does give you smaller % than other sponsors. Shareasale and Commission Junction have sponsors that pay up to 15% commission.

1. 60
      MyPostingIDposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yep.  The advantage to Amazon, though is the trust that it carries and the wide selection of "stuff".  Despite the fact that it offers a terrible 24-hour cookie, there is more of a chance of someone buying additional items from them than from another lesser known site.

Once my CJ experiment is underway, I'll have more data.

However, Amazon has treated me very well even with the caps and short cookie so I guess I can't really complain.

6. ns1209 profile image36
    ns1209posted 6 years ago

That is actually pretty poor for such a large sale - there should be no caps.  Just out of interest is this cap on just computers or other items - never got enough to find out!

That is about 1%, with just 4% it should be near $100

1. 0

4% cap on electronics.

$25 cap on computers.

7. ns1209 profile image36
    ns1209posted 6 years ago

That is a shame really but I do kind of understand.  Probably because they don't make much margins on electronics as trying to price match and undercut competitors.

Ah well, at least you got a lot of money for one sale!

1. 0

I understand the margin too, it is a well known fact that consumer electronics have low margins even for the manufacturers. Especially things which like games consoles, where the real profit is in the games, and cell phones where the real profit is in the Airtime. The best example is perhaps inkjet printers, which are sometimes subsidised (sold with no profit or even at a loss) in order to profit on subsequent ink sales (average 13 times the cost of the printer over the life of that printer). I would have been grateful for a two tier system though, $25 cap for laptops under $1000 and $50 cap for laptops over $1000. That would be fair, seeing as $1000 is actually a lot of money to spend on a laptop these days... unless you are an Apple addict or hardcore gamer...

8. ns1209 profile image36
    ns1209posted 6 years ago

I believe when the PS3 and Xbox came out Sony and Microsoft actually lost money on the hardware sales but made it back through the video games themselves and extras like Xbox Live as you say. 

I know about the ink cartridges - they are ridiculously expensive!

9. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

If it makes you feel any better:

I am an apple.com affiliate
    a Macmall affiliate
    and tigerdirect affiliate.

Those being the top 3 I would sell  a macbook through outside of ebay/amazon.

apple.com offers a 1% commission! it bumps up to 1.5% if you sell over 8k! (awesome)

Macmall offers 3-5% - so around a 117. commish

hmm, I guess that wouldnt make you feel better

Its a lot easier to make sales through amazon than most 3rd party affs

1. 0

Well the thing that actually does make me feel better is the fact that I have never created a sales page to sell a Macbook, this sale is probably as a result of filling spaces on pages which would otherwise have nothing else to sell... so I suppose it is just a nice bonus... I believe that I also sold an Xbox this way too. I figured that the occassional random sale is better than no sale on high traffic hubs with very low paying AdSense ads.

I am not going to try and start selling Macbooks though, I simply don't know enough about Macs to justify it!

10. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

well done to you ryankett-as they say at Tesco every little helps..

11. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I've been stung by the 25% commission cap on computers.  It sucks royally, but $25 is still a nice little earning!

I agree though, the cap should be tiered for more expensive laptops.