jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

A Humbling Experience

1. pkmcr profile image86
    pkmcrposted 8 years ago

Afternoon All

I just wanted to share something that happened this morning.  I think through one of my dog related hubs an elderly lady contacted me about her elderly dog.  She sounds like a very devoted owner who is more than a little worried about her beloved pet.

Fortunately I was able to offer some advice which I hope in some small way will help her and I have asked her to let me know how things go.

It struck me how humbling it is the trust that some of our visitors place in us.  To the extent that they will write at length and share their experiences.  Sometimes we become very focused on the "nutters" that we encounter online but once in a while an email like the one I received stops us in our tracks - or at least it does me!

I often read threads at other forums where "marketers" say they cannot be bothered to reply to emails from potential clients - never mind someone asking for advice.  Yes we need to be aware of those who would drain all our time away with their constant questions but if we can help someone in my humble opinion we should.

Take care

1. shailini profile image59
      shailiniposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Well said, only by giving to others, we receive. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Paul.

2. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 8 years ago

I agree. There is a certain responsibility that comes with offering advice or help in the public domain. If we ask people to take us seriously we need to be ready to respond appropriately if they do!

3. Bonnie Ramsey profile image89
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 8 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more. I get several email each day asking for advice on home businesses and how to find something legitimate. Many of these emails are from people out of the country and I could neither sign them up in my business, nor could I ship them any products. However, I help them just as much as I would any perspective customer or dealer. The best part is that so many of them take the time to email me back special notes of thanks for my help and some send me updates. This is the most rewarding part of my business and also my favorite part. be it someone who is in within our service area or someone in another country seeking knowledge from my experiences. I agree that if we have any experience to share with others that could benefit them, we should freely give that knowledge. It is definitely a humbling experience!

4. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Yes, I agree completely.

I spend quite a bit of time giving advice to kids (and even some parents and teachers) who can't afford to buy our program.

The point of my existence is to communicate information to people, and whether they pay me directly or not, I am well rewarded by life in general.