jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Setting up a hub linking to items in a group - too self-promoting?

1. Sehnonimo profile image81
    Sehnonimoposted 6 years ago

I was just setting up a hub that I was planning on using as something of an index for the hubs I have in one of my groups.  This is the first time I've done something like this, and it wasn't until I was half way through it that I wondered if this is what is considered self promotion on hubpages.

I am very annoyed when I'm trying to promote my hubs, and I have to just link to my profile page, so I thought if I created a hub with some information on a group of subjects (in this case, cosmetic procedures), so I can refer to this hub if people wanted to view everything I have in my group, then it would be easier to promote my hubs.  It seems like your profile page is very limited in what hubs you can show to people.  I tried to use the category, but I don't know how to access it unless it is featured on one's profile page.

Does anyone have a better suggestion for how to link to a page that shows all the hubs that belong in a category or a group, or thoughts about how much this hub I was making is self-promoting?

2. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 6 years ago

This is what is known as a capstone hub, and yes it's fine. It's a goog way to link hubs. It won't be over-promotional (that's to do with links to external sites that you have an interest in promoting). I think darkside has a hub about capstones if you want to check it out.

1. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this
  3. Maddie Ruud profile image81
    Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago

It's fine to set up a hub as an index to other related hubs.  I have one for all my recipe hubs, myself.

4. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Gosh, yes.  If that were a problem, a lot of index pages on a lot of sites wouldn't exist.

5. kentuckyslone profile image89
    kentuckysloneposted 6 years ago

This sounds much like a lensography on Squidoo and as long as most of the links are to other hubs I dont think it to be a problem. In fact it is a good idea and even a standard practice on sites like this

6. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 6 years ago

i'd been wondering about this too - i called it a metahub when i sent a msg to help, since i didnt know what others were calling it

the capstone and flagship programs are nice, but a bit stricter than what i was considering -- i'd like to format my hubpages by varios topics, such as travel in turkey, travel in india, my recipes, history & travel books

i can't do this with a group, since these are overlapping, so i was going to produce a hub that connected each meta-grouping.

has anyone done this outside the 2 official programs?

the answer btw, from help, was that the main consideration be that the metahub itself was large enough.  i was thinking about 10 hubs at the start...