jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

does anyone receive a written letter from friends any more or as it completely given way to e-mail?

1. Polly C profile image87
      Polly Cposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The last time I received a letter was in 2002, when a friend who had gone to Nigeria for voluntary work. I don't think technology was too great, just talking on the phone was a nightmare. I loved getting a letter though, somehow seems more personal than an email and you can keep them and read them in years to come - in fact I found this old letter in a cupboard only last week.

I used to love writing letters as well, and used to write really long ones to my friend at university back in the early 90s.  Email is good as it's instant though - letter writing is definitely a dying art.

2. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have one friend who writes, and I write back.   Things can be so much more personal in a "regular" letter.  Before she passed away, my aunt wrote regularly for years.  I loved getting (and writing).   I'll occasionally get a  letter here or there from a friend or cousin (other than the friend I mentioned).  It doesn't happen often (by any means), but - yes - people do still write.

3. PegCole17 profile image91
      PegCole17posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not too many letters arrive at my PO Box anymore. Those who used to write have now converted to email or are no longer writing at all. Still I cling to the tattered pages of old letters that once warmed my heart. Can't compare that to a dodgy email.

BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

good for you peggy.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Our post office is indeed going broke. smile

3. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

I write to my aging Aunt who is in a nursing home now.  She has Alzheimers, so she doesn't write back any more, but apparently she enjoys getting the letters even if she may not remember me as well as I might like.

My daughter maintains PenPal correspondence with several people and sens us handwritten notes often.  We respond by email smile

4. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Uma has written an interesting hub on the topic:

BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks website examiner just re-read it.

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My pleasure! I liked that one.

5. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

I keep a journal when i'm away from home and sometime ago my friends found it when we were having a bbq- it put me off keeping it because of the negative comments, but I have kept several addresses of people I have met and written to them since we met- my friends for some reason feel threatened by this -I don't know why, but I do enjoy getting a letter from them,and it does feel very personal.

6. Devanni profile image59
    Devanniposted 6 years ago

When my sister was in pre-academy (an extremely intensive four-week program the police department she works for puts recruits through prior to the multi-departmenal regular police academy) I wrote to her every day.  That was about two years ago now, I think.  I know she appreciated them greatly, and I took pleasure in writing them although I knew she couldn't respond.  I wrote to her when she was at the academy as well, though not nearly every day. 
    I miss writing those letters.

7. LSKing profile image85
    LSKingposted 6 years ago

My husband and I use to write letters back and forth to each other when he was in college. It was so romantic.... maybe we should start that up again!