Why Is Google Messing With My Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Whikatposted 13 years ago

I hope someone can help answer this question for me. I wrote a hub, I picked the keywords very carefully, I wrote my first paragraph very carefully to attract the audience I wanted.  I wrote a full header description. 

I go to see where my hub ended up after a few days and instead of seeing it on any of my keywords, they decided to use 1 word in my 2 question survey at the bottom of the article to place the article on the search engine. WTH?

I understand that they are the big "G" but why would they mess with someone like that?  I don't think the keyword that they placed me in makes any money at all. Should I delete the survey so they can not use that to place me, or should I just be happy with the penny a day? sad

1. Never_Forget profile image58
      Never_Forgetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your hub needs to mature more. You can and will rank for multiple keywords. Give it more time. Has it even been crawled yet or is it still in the initial indexing period? Check to see if there's a cache for it to see if it's been crawled.

Either way, sometimes Google takes a while to pick up on your keywords and index your article properly. Usually the more competitive the topic, the longer it takes, but there are plenty of other factors.

Throw a couple of dofollow backlinks at it with your keywords as the anchor text. This should fix it faster.

1. profile image0
        Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Never_Forget,
        Thank you for your suggestions, I will try them. I guess I was just upset because they have taken the survey and used that as my hubs description, which misses the whole point of the hub.

If I had known that they were going to treat it like a survey hub, I would have wrote a survey hub, but with different keywords. They make it challenging to do the right thing. All this talk about back links and cheating the system, but I am learning quickly that the honest person gets stepped on by the big G when they are trying to do the right thing.

Anyway, Thanks again for the suggestions. I will get some sleep and try them tomorrow, when I can think more rationally smile

1. Susana S profile image91
          Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is due to a new google update. What is shown as the description on the search results can be taken from any part of the hub - it depends on what the searcher typed in the box so it can be different every time. I've seen phrases that were posted in comments come up as the description. It should actually be better as you will rank for many more phrases than just the main one (or few) you have chosen.

2. Never_Forget profile image58

Wait a second, are you saying that you're not ranking for your targeted keywords?

Or are you saying that you're ranking for them but in the description on the search results it's showing the survey instead of the beginning sentences of your article?

If it's the former, my original post stands. If it's the latter, I would delete the survey for a couple of weeks, and then bring it back once the description changes.

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried editing the capsule and writing your own summary text? It's in one of the three tabs at the top of the hub when you are in edit mode. That may help...

Give google a few days to update it though...

I forgot about that option. That will definitely work. Nice thinkin!

It's good to create a unique summary (I always do), but it will not make any difference to the way google now decides on what page descriptions to show as explained above.

Here are a few examples:

For a search for "describe yourself" my custom summary shows up.

Searching for "words to describe someone" shows a different description:

Searching "words to describe people" again shows differently.

Those are all showing different descriptions because you're searching for different terms each time ;-)

Google hasn't used strictly the opening sentences in years. The description will almost always show a snippet where the search terms are seen in the article, whether it's in the beginning, middle or end, even tags and comments and apparently surveys too.

In the OP's case, Google still probably hasn't fully crawled the article. If the search terms are located in the opening sentence, it will show the opening sentence when it is fully matured. Alternatively, the OP can use the Summary feature that WryLilt brought up or delete the survey.

I hope I am not misunderstanding your posts. If so, I apologize.

Yes, that's what I said smile

Yes, it will show the target summary/description depending on the search words used. Since the mayday update it seems to me that the descriptions that google pulls from the article have become a lot more variable and fluid but maybe I'm just noticing it more smile Anyway a search for the title of the hub now shows the first sentence.

The OP asked why google was not showing the first sentence as the page description so I was attempting to explain why it might not and also why even creating a unique summary might not either. Maybe I didn't explain it so well tongue

1. profile image0

Hi Susana S, Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was actually referring to my summary in which I did write my own, and it is showing up for some search terms just like you stated. I did some checking and yes, it does not matter that I wrote my own summary, the survey, and comments are showing up on different search terms.

I think I will wait it out and see what happens before taking down the survey. The hub has original content and good KW so I will just let it mature.

Thank you Everyone, for all your replies and thoughts regarding this issue. smile

2. Aficionada profile image78
                    Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This was a helpful description of the OP's question.  I admit I had read the first post multiple times and had not the faintest idea what they were talking about.  Or rather, I had not the faintest idea of how they knew which keywords Google had "placed them in."

PS - Thank you, rebekahELLE.  That was also quite helpful.

2. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

Wait for some time ( because you selected the kw carefully ) you will get ranked for your keyword.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed that the adverts keep changing I think once in four days or something like that, dont worry, in a while the adverts will be more in tune with the the keywords

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

It's the Paso Doble of Google vs. SEO.

Google used to pull from predictable places, so of course the SEO folks started using that to assist their efforts.  Google doesn't like being led around by the nose, so they changed how they do that.

They aren't "messing with your hub".  They are just trying to provide the best results and the best summaries they can. If everyone were honest in their writing and their summaries, Google wouldn't have needed to change anything.  But people aren't honest and are always trying to gain an edge, so Google is constantly working to eliminate those weak spots.

That kind of stuff (Google vs. SEO) has been going on for years and will continue until Google's computers get so smart that all that matters is raw content and SEO ceases to exist.  We are likely a long, long way from that.

1. profile image0

Hi Pcunix, I appreciate your response, but as I stated earlier, I do not believe that the 2 sentence survey at the bottom of my hub is an accurate description of my well over 1,000 word hub. This is not a complaint about SEO, this was a question about them using something as silly as a survey to represent my content.  Thanks for your input.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's Google that is deciding what to show.  That was the point, not that it's "SEO" that is causing this.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it seems to fall in line with their new search methods.
          the first few lines don't necessarily get picked up in the search. this is from an article recently posted about Ben Gomes,

"But Gomes says there's another half of Google search that has been given too little credit. That process is based on a long-existing concept in computer science called "Keyword In Context," which automatically creates a few lines of text that shows users the context of the keyword they Googled.

"Every other search engine at the time gave you the first two lines on the page. What Google did was it showed you the lines on the page that were relevant to your query," Gomes said. "And you might think this is a small change, but it is so much harder to do."

Not only does Google have to find the most relevant Web pages from a query, but it must then search within those pages and automatically build a custom snippet that shows how the keyword occurred on the page."

http://www.physorg.com/news202108905.html
          http://www.steverubel.com/google-instan … irrelevant

4. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Search engines tend to "remember" what it read first and last on your page, just like people.

So you should always end a hub or article with the key words you want to be ranked for, as well as at the start. This goes double for blog post. smile

1. profile image0

Thank you Bill Manning, I will write that down so I do not forget. I appreciate the tip, and will try to remember to apply it in all my future hubs. smile

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

you're welcome. if you go to the above links, they are helpful in understanding.
    everyone's search results are going to look different according to what the user is entering into the search query.

1. profile image0

Hi rebekahELLE,
      I understand what you are saying, and I did read the two articles but I think Big G's methods stink! It has nothing to do with SEO or content  I am talking about relevancy. For example I just did a google search for soap on a rope, now if I look at the snippet in the 3rd position it is from Urban Dictionary and there is a horrible snippet that no person should ever have to see if searching for soap.

Don't believe me check it out for yourself. Google soap on a rope and see what the 3rd place position says, and then come back and tell me how that is relevant to me the shopper who is looking to purchase english leather soap on a rope?

6. profile image0
    Whikatposted 13 years ago

Never mind about the last comment. I finally figured out the safe search mode for Google's search engine and how to turn off instant search. I am happier with my search results now. smile

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Fascinating---clear as mud to me, but fascinating--because on Etsy, we were told that Google ranks only the first (I believe) 125 characters in the (product) description, and while we are filling in that description, below that text box appears "Here is how your listing will show up in Google search."

It follows along and inputs verbatim everything in your first paragraph, until it runs out of characters for the field.  That way, supposedly, we can see what we might want to shift around to emphasize showing up first.

Now, here, apparently it seems...none of that matters???  Aaaggghhh...too complex for old brains to master!

1. Bill Manning profile image68
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here's a little secret that will help bloggers. As I said above, Google "remembers" and uses most often the first and LAST thing it sees on a page.

So, if you have a blog or site, make sure you fill in your footer with your keywords. Many never put anything in the footer.

Yet I often see my site come up in a search and the description it shows is from my footer. Just put two or three sentences of what your site is about in the footer, using your keywords. smile

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, boy---I have blogs, but I use Blogger, and I don't recall seeing any "footer" area....

I do use the "labels"  (a.k.a. 'tags') when I remember.  LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)