jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)

How many tags do you use for a hub?

1. Sekharg profile image70
    Sekhargposted 6 years ago

Hi,

Is there any standard on how many tags we need to use for a hub?

Is it OK to use 25 tags for a 500 word hub?

How many tags do you guys use? (hope I am not asking for closely guarded secret here)

I would appreciate if successful hubbers answer this question.

I think, it will help many others also as we use tags for every hub.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Sekhar

1. ArtBoogy profile image60
      ArtBoogyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Personally, I add about 4 to 10 to start off. Once I have some content on my hubs, I will use the "Give Me More Suggestions" option and get a few more. I don't think I have gone over 15 tags though! Tagging madness! Good luck on your success with hubbing.

1. BartCougy profile image61
        BartCougyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I actually practice the same type of technique when I do my hubs. I will narrow down some main topics for my hubs which tend to be 500-1000 words. Well, 100 may be a bit much, haha! I like to have in the range of 5 to 18 tags though. Even 18 seems a bit excessive. At 500 words though, I wouldn't recommend going over 20. I mean, is your content really capturing that much, or are you stretching when it comes to picking out your tags? Picking out the most accurate tags will make your hub a better place so choose them wisely and well, haha!

2. CharlesWells profile image61
      CharlesWellsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have not found a standard yet.  I am a new hubber and  just did my first hub with a 1300 word hub with 50 tags.  I could have added about 20 more.  I have not been flagged yet.  I did extensive keyword research and every tag is applicable and has at least 3000 searches per month.  I think the important thing is for every tag to be applicable and closely related to your hub.

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

The closest explanation I received was from a post done by Maddie Ruud of HubPages Staff.

She said that you could apply 9-15 tags for articles up 1500 words.

Then for more than 1500 words you could go as high as 40 tags.

1. harleymeighan profile image61
      harleymeighanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks! I usually just add only five tags, I was not not aware of this.

3. Kyriana profile image78
    Kyrianaposted 6 years ago

I've never really counted my tags, my hubs are usually about 750 words and I probably use about 10 tags.

Keeping in mind that my level of success is not particularly high at this point, I wouldn't use me as an example. I just tag what I see as the main points or keywords to my hub. I've not really tried for a certain number of tags. big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image59
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Kyriana, just to let you know, if you have too many tags versus words....then it works against your hub.

1. Kyriana profile image78
        Kyrianaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Cagsil,

I might just have to give them a once over and make sure there aren't too many. Your advice is always spot on!! smile

1. Cagsil profile image59
          Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome. smile Thank you for the compliment. I only try to be consistent with what I learn from Hubpages Staff and others. smile

2. jeri741 profile image59
        jeri741posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks I did not know tags could work against hubs.

4. Never_Forget profile image61
    Never_Forgetposted 6 years ago

I use a lot of tags because I target several keywords and use lots of synonyms. My hubs are all between 600 and 1000 words. I think I probably use close to 20-25 tags per hub. I hope that's good.

5. shazwellyn profile image82
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

A good indication is if you get a message on the top of the hub from Hubpages telling you that there are excessive tags, that is normally an indication that there are too many tags!  What I mean, is dont worry too much about this because Hubpages has already thought about protecting you by alerting you in this manner.

Good, isnt it?  All you need to do is produce good content for us all to enjoy smile

1. Sekharg profile image70
      Sekhargposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am aware of too many tags warning.

But I thought hubpages would not me enter any
      more tags after the warnin. Seems like it will give you warning and let you enter more tags.

Looks like I have more tags for my hubs than you guys described here.

Should I delete some tags?

1. shabarigirish profile image60
        shabarigirishposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Use can 10-15 tags and make sure you are using those tags as keywords in your hubs. If you select proper tags, your hub will get backlinks from relevant tag categories, so you also ensure that the tags you are going to use should be listed in hubpages tag categories.

2. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes remove tags until the warning has gone - otherwise your hub will be penalized.

2. Richieb799 profile image60
      Richieb799posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah Shazwellyn has the correct answer here smile

6. profile image0
    mojosposted 6 years ago

Most of the suggested tags in addition to the original tags.

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The suggested tags are usually terrible! I would recommend thinking more about appropriate tags, rather than just going with the suggestions.

1. profile image0
        mojosposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the tip.

1. shazwellyn profile image82
          shazwellynposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A great tag suggestion is by using wonderwheel.  Just put you title into search and you have a whole heap of suggestions - many of which are related.  This is just what Google needs to assess your content.

1. profile image0
            TopUniverseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks very good tip.

2. profile image0
            mojosposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks for the tip.
            I completely missed it .

working