jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

Can you topple other hubs?

1. HELLA profile image60
    HELLAposted 6 years ago

Hey all! So in my time writing I will notice (usually after I publish a hub) that the first page of my particular keyword ALREADY has a HUB in the top results. Is it possible to overtake another hub? Just curious. It's not an intentional thing, just noticing that it happens once in a while...has anybody leapfrogged a hub with a hub of their own before?

1. Bill Manning profile image72
      Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Of course. There must be hundreds of hubs about the same subject. So many hubs have been jumped over, so to speak.

It's no different than trying to outrank all the other website pages out there. Write well with good keywords and backlinks and you'll climb over most hubs about the same subject.

1. HELLA profile image60
        HELLAposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Bill. Just needed to actually hear it. I mean, it makes sense! Cheers!

2. brettb profile image70
      brettbposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Apparently it can be done, but it does take time, especially if the existing Hub has been around for a while.

I'll soon find out though as I am trying it with a couple of keywords.

3. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's not impossible, but I think it's wiser to go for another phrase. I've seen plenty of times on google search that google will only show two results from hubpages for the same phrase. I just did a search for make money on hubpages where there are tonnes of hubs with the same phrase and 3 results were shown (which is the most I've seen).

The first result was published 3 years ago, so I doubt it will be moving any time soon.

2. thisisoli profile image57
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Yep, you can overtake other hubs, you just have to beat them in terms of SEO.

3. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

I have to say though - doing it just for the sake of it is bad form. I would not appreciate someone purposely taking my time and my effort - then regurgitating the content. I've had it done, more than once and it ticks me off. I've even had some one email me asking I review their copy hmm

We are all guilty (I'd imagine) of writing similar hubs. I like to think that it's accidental.

If I write commercial, having done the leg-work, and find the URL is already taken, I will find the hub. If it's good stuff, I leave it be. There's a million other things to write about - without mauling over the ideas and effort of others.

1. HELLA profile image60

Yeah, that's not what I meant though. I would never purposefully try to one up a hub. Sometimes though in my research, I miss that there is already a hub on page one after I have published mine. I would definitely never ask someone to compare and check my similar article. That's really bad taste! You know, it's just one of those "Oh $hit" moments. I know most people are here to make some extra cash and Google rankings are the goal for which we all seek. I consider myself an honest guy in every way and would never do it intentionally. If anything I'd prefer to link to someone else's hub to help them out as well.

1. frogdropping profile image84
        frogdroppingposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know that's not what you meant. I was referring to those that do exactly what I was talking about. The ones that probably trawl the best hubs list, home in and all but copy. It's just not cricket. Still - it's life smile

1. HELLA profile image60

Yeah I feel ya! I wasn't getting defensive. Just letting everyone know I don't do that. Cheers!

4. Bill Manning profile image72
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

Like I said, with so many hubs I can't imagine there is any subject, product, item or place that has not already had several hubs about it.

I never look to see if a hub has already been made, I just make whatever I feel like. Then when I read my hub I notice the related hubs in the sidebar and see what ones have already been made on the same subject.

On a side note, no hub, even ones I made, are in front of my own website pages for my keywords. However they would be if I made a hub about a keyword not in content with my sites. smile

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You'd be surprised what hasn't been written about. I've been experimenting with some of the gaps. smile

5. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Every flea has its dog.

A particular flea may like your dog better than the one it was on before.  Not an issue.

1. shazwellyn profile image83
      shazwellynposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is just what package the flea likes most of all!

We all learn in different ways.  Some relate to symbolism, some to auditory stimuli and others to visual. We are all individual and packages come in different colours and designs... diversity in article writing makes for a richer content!

Now I have demonstrated a different package to Pcunix - which one do you understand the best?  A lot like hub writing eh?

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Exactly.

2. HELLA profile image60

I like both for sure. They each make sense, but have a different meaning. They're great approaches to taking when writing.

working