jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Why post a new forum topic????

1. Diane Inside profile image88
    Diane Insideposted 6 years ago

I just wonder why there are some posters who post a new topic on forums, then leave and no longer participate. They post the original topic then never continue on in the forum. It seems pointless to do so. After all they are usually asking a question, or trying to start up a conversation.

Any thoughts as to why people do this?

1. lorlie6 profile image85
      lorlie6posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have to agree, DI.  It seems somehow rude to begin a conversation then abandon it...Leaves you hanging, you know?

2. Stevennix2001 profile image82
      Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

well, i can't speak for everyone here diane.  a lot of times i open up forums for kicks to see what others will say.  however, there are times i'll just leave after it takes on a life of it's own.  not because i don't care about the topic, but because i won't have anything else to say.  Or the people in the forum are busy talking to others and nobody else in that forum is bother talking to me or even acknowledges what i say, then i just leave.  besides, who wants to be in a online forum talking to yourself? that's boring.  therefore, if i do start a forum and nobody talks to me, then yes i do leave.  same thing goes with forums that are already in place, as i won't stay in a place to talk to myself.  that's boring.  if i wanted to do that, i'd write a hub or i'd play a game.  at least those activities are fun when your alone.  anyways, i'm sorry if that annoys you though, but that's just how i roll sometimes.

however, i do apologize if it seems rude though, as i never really thought of it that way.  I normally just viewed the forums as a place of social interaction for me, as I don't really have any friends in real life.  Therefore, I just leave if I don't feel like a part of the conversation.  However, based on what you said, I will try not to come off rude by starting forum topics then leaving them abruptly. 

although that does raise a question though.  if you start a forum, then does that mean your obligated to keep posting in it for the rest of your life?  I mean what if NOBODY participates in the forum outside of yourself, or it dies out as nobody else adds to it.  Does that mean your still obligated to keep posting in it?  I was just curious, as you guys have peaked my curiosity about this now.  tongue  lol

2. Cagsil profile image85
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Some people do it as a way to gather information or data or responses to questions without ever having to take part. hmm

3. Joy56 profile image61
    Joy56posted 6 years ago

or they just get busy and forget about it,

4. Diane Inside profile image88
    Diane Insideposted 6 years ago

Yes but it just seems a little bit annoying. That the poster after taking the time to post something, doesn't bother to acknowledge, that someone is responding to them.

5. 60
    miklanderson2posted 6 years ago

Probably a new user that posted a question and then forgot all about it...

6. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

I may have gone to bed. Had to run away from a September spider. I can think of a few reasons. As for others, IDK.

I'm going with cags. I like generic anything smile

7. Lily Rose profile image83
    Lily Roseposted 6 years ago

I am guilty of having done that.  I have two little kids and lots of things that have to be done and I get pulled away often.  If I have a question, though, I'll go ahead and post it to try and get answers and I try to get back to the thread as soon as I can.  If I know that I'll have to leave I will, though, try and say that I have to take off for a while and I'll be back later to check in...

Also, I have started threads before that get no response for quite a while sometimes - I can't just stick around hitting the "refresh" button for an hour!