jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)

Linking with tracker

1. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 6 years ago

When I am linking my own hubs using words will I use tracker or not? Also when I use a link capsule will I use a tracker?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Some hubbers do this. Personally, I would not do this, because many hubbers would notice and frown upon it. In my opinion, trackers are most suited to attract outside visitors, like by linking from a website or an email message. If your hubs almost exclusively attract external traffic, the equation may change.

saleheensblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Currently I am not using tracker, what is your suggestion for some of my hubs that get more of the traffic from search engine?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It seems some hubbers use trackers extensively.

saleheensblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

oh, so it's not at least rude or a TOS violation, right?

1. profile image0

HubPages have indicated they may not honor trackers from hubs/profile pages in the future. Currently, it is allowed. Rude? I wouldn't say so, but some hubbers may not be happy to click on trackers between someone's own hubs.

TOS: Self-referrals are prohibited, so don't use trackers to create sign-up links for secondary accounts.

1. profile image0
              ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This was played down by Maddie in the end, who advised that we would get plenty of warning and any such decision would not be taken lightly.

I percieve this more as part of a 'Plan B' should anything happen to significantly reduce their turnover, e.g. a Google smack. They do have external investors to satisfy afterall.

2. profile image0

Approximately 92% of my traffic (27000 page views in the past 24 hours) is from search engines. Another 4% is 'direct' traffic, whatever that is. So I have no problem whatsoever using referral trackers, and would care little if other hubbers frowned upon this practice. The way I see it, those internal links reduce the chance of an AdSense or Amazon clickthrough, the trackers compensate for that,.

1. profile image0

I have no problem with what you do. In fact, I had something like this in mind - the focus is on external traffic.

1. profile image0

Yeah I know, I was backing up your point in a way... whilst adding to it slightly. Call me a case study to your hypothetical example smile

1. profile image0

I had you in mind, in fact, as you explained it on a previous thread. But I was trying to be a bit discrete. Thanks Ryankett!

3. darkside profile image81
      darksideposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"Most" hubbers?

I must have missed the survey.

I use trackers when linking from one hub to another.

Having done four sets of capstone hubs, and plenty of other hubs that of a related theme that can be put into groups, I do not hesitate to use my trackers for my own hubs as well as the occasional hub written by another hubber.

1. profile image0

You are misquoting me here.

1. darkside profile image81

Sorry, "many" hubbers.

Still, I was unaware of many hubbers having such a stance.

1. profile image0

Maybe they do not, but that concern is my motivation for not using them. I have only used a tracker once, and immediately got an email asking me whether that is how I make money on HP. Never mind, I have no problem with people using the trackers.

I often find myself, and my hubs, linked in peoples How To Hub type hubs. Most of the time they use a tracker. And I have no problem with that. If they're sending me traffic, I'm not going to complain. They get something out of it too, from HP's share of the ad views. It's a great incentive to share the love. More than what HubKarma offers.

A few times I've seen people use trackers incorrectly (such as a missing underscore, not putting the tracker ID in the right place, and other simple mistakes) and I've taken the time to contact them and explain that a mistake has been made. Even when the links don't benefit me. Sometimes people link to their tracking stats, instead of using a tracker to the sign up page.

No doubt about it, I do make money from referrals on HubPages. But I am also able to use the tracking data to see how well I am directing traffic. Both from outside the site, and within the site.

A topic such as suicide might be a touchy subject. But I wouldn't judge the person if they did use trackers, because they might be keeping track of the traffic and how well their internal linking is working.

3. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 6 years ago

thank you and one more question, my referral tracker shows that I have almost 6000 traffic views but my hub statistics shows around 3000. Whats the difference between the traffic view beside the tracking token and page views[ever] in my account statistics? Is it something like the tracking traffic is accumulated profile and page views and my account total views are only page views?

From experience I believe that any traffic sent via a tracker does not get included in the page view statistics on your My Account page.

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Thanks Darkside, I appreciate your viewpoint and explanation. I think if people are well-educated, they won't object to the trackers. I still wouldn't use them in my review hubs, where it is essential for me to show that I do not have a financial motive for linking to those that I review - but that is a special situation.

working