Google Analytics: Excluding internal traffic IS simple

1. fritteritter profile image92
    fritteritterposted 6 years ago

After reading this thread it was apparent that a lot of people go through a lot of effort to exclude their own traffic from Google Analytics.

If you exclude by IP there is no indication when your IP changes, and most home internet services will change your IP occasionally. Some people even go to the extent of changing their environment (i.e. using an obscure web browser) to be able to roughly segment out their traffic.

If you're in that boat, take 2 or 3 minutes to read about the simplest way to filter out internal traffic in Analytics.

The basic concept is that you give your computer a name which is stored indefinitely in a browser cookie, then tell Google Analytics to filter out traffic to your sites with that name set. The hub includes two commands that you just copy-paste into the web browser address bar - one to set the name and one to check if it is set properly. Unlike other articles that mention using cookies to filter out your traffic in Analytics, this one is kept up-to-date to work with any version of Analytics or Urchin. It works on any web site that uses Analytics, and to filter out your HubPages traffic you can use the commands directly while reading the article.

I hope this helps some people, the hub has been around for over a year but only a sliver of the readers are from HubPages smile

1. Super Chef profile image66
      Super Chefposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Very interesting I,m off to check it out thanks for the tip fritterritter.