jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Use of Photos

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 6 years ago

I was scolded for using a public domain photo.  Long story short the photo I used was not theirs to complain about.

Is there a way to confirm a photo is in the "public domain" - I retain all the sources. 

The photo came from a travel website, the complainer was the hotel (the photo was not listed as the hotel's photo or courtesy of that hotel - appears to be owned by the travel website).  I gave full credit to the travel website.

Is there a preference when more than one photo is available?  Types of sites that are kinder?

1. Eleanor's Words profile image86
      Eleanor's Wordsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How do you know it was a public domain photo? I wouldn't have thought it would be if it was on a travel website? I would have thought it more likely that the travel website had been given permission to use it.

2. 0
      Charlinexposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The best way to check if a photo is in the public domain is to contact the webmaster. However, I doubt if a travel website will offer photos in the public domain. Most likely, they have purchased the license to use the photo from a stock photo site under either as Royalty-Free or Rights-Managed.

Some Royalty-Free stock photo sites do offer free images. However, remember Royalty-free does not mean it is a free photo, so unless it is said to be free, the majority images on the site are not free.

Usually the free images are still subject to the terms of a license. For instance, it may only be used at very small size,  it may restrict the number of page impression and the way you use it, etc. The surest way is to ask.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Looking up public domain images or learning how to tell how to determine such is really straightforward.

1. Glenn Raymond profile image59
      Glenn Raymondposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, relache is right.  When you get on a public domain photo site, they tell you exactly how to credit the photo.  When I come across one with no info. I e-mail the "powers that be" for that photo and wait for them to let me know "if" I can use it and how I can use it, and who to give credit to.

I have spent a lot of time waiting to hear back on photos, but to me it is better to be sure than guess and get slapped.

I hope this helps.  You take care.

3. I am DB Cooper profile image67
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

If it really was a public domain photo then you should be able to use it. Even if it's not public domain, the rights holder should be the one making the complaint. Unless the hotel supplied the photo to the travel website, they (the hotel) doesn't own. With all that said, are you really sure that the photo was in the public domain? If you just took it off the travel website then it probably isn't public domain. Just because you credit them with the photo doesn't mean you're allowed to use it.

4. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 6 years ago

Very helpful - thank you all very much!